OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: my thoughts on reaping  (Read 29870 times)

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: my thoughts on reaping
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2021, 08:34:50 AM »
  I agree- Reaping should be illegal in every State.

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2021, 04:31:29 PM »
Hear is what I think about it. I think it compensates for wanna be turkey hunters. People love hero shots to put on social media and only care about killing something. Disgusting to me. Never done it and never will. Its about the hunt not the kill for me. Thats my 2 cents.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2021, 12:20:10 PM »
"I think it compensates for wanna be turkey hunters. People love hero shots to put on social media"

JMO but I think a lot of folks would quit hunting if they couldn't brag on it. Never had any social media account other than FB and cancelled that.

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2021, 01:28:18 PM »
"I think it compensates for wanna be turkey hunters. People love hero shots to put on social media"

JMO but I think a lot of folks would quit hunting if they couldn't brag on it. Never had any social media account other than FB and cancelled that.

I agree 100 percent.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2021, 02:17:18 PM »
Hear is what I think about it. I think it compensates for wanna be turkey hunters. People love hero shots to put on social media and only care about killing something. Disgusting to me. Never done it and never will. Its about the hunt not the kill for me. Thats my 2 cents.

Totally agree, some of my most memorable hunts I never pulled the trigger

Offline High plains drifter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2021, 12:59:31 AM »
I've gotten to the point where I can usually call in a bird. Reeping doesn't seem necessary.

Offline Crghss

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2021, 09:56:08 PM »
Others can do as they please, for me it is too dangerous.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Offline budtripp

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2021, 07:37:38 PM »

[/quote] In the words of Phil Anselmo, "Be yourself, by yourself." [/quote]

The next line of that song "stay away from meee.."  Also applies to my turkey hunting  :TooFunny:

Offline Jeremy1978

« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2021, 08:16:23 PM »
I had to Google what it is
Id never do it on public.
Other then that I dont understand what is so bad about it. I think itd be fun

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2021, 10:01:53 PM »
Not legal in Pennsylvania.  Even if it was I would never hunt turkeys like that as IMO you are asking to get shot!  Way to dangerous.  I am very careful here and very seldom even use my gobble tube call.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline PNWturkey

« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2021, 10:30:04 AM »
Reaping is not my cup of tea either, doesn't seem very safe and IMO is questionable how "Fair Chase" it really is.  i.e. why make electronic calling illegal (a recorded real turkey call) but allow sneaking in behind a real turkey fan?

One thing about turkey hunting in the PNW, is that much of the prime turkey habitat is covered in Poison Oak.  I have previously thought this to be negative, but on second thought an understory of Poison Oak keeps the belly crawlers/reapers to a minimum  ;D

Offline deerhunt1988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2021, 07:40:36 AM »
I don't reap, I just wear a strutter helmet.

When someone finally shoots me, I hope the video gets a million views!!!!

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #102 on: May 28, 2021, 11:45:38 AM »
I have stayed away from commenting on this thread anymore, but I watched that video and I was honestly disgusted !  :angry9: :angry9:  Not even wearing camo. In my neck of the woods they would go damn hungry and embarrassed, you rarely ever see gobblers out in fields while driving around. If you ain't in the hills and woods you ain't killing turkeys. This is not turkey hunting, this is something else and I want no part of it. The very fact they are keeping a timed body count, tells me a whole lot about character

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #103 on: May 28, 2021, 01:39:59 PM »
It has gotten to the point where I have recognized that it is not the turkeys that have soured me on my long held passion, but the recent people who have taken up the “game”and their idea of how the game should be played.  I wish all would read and understand Chapter 3 of Kenny Morgan’s book, America, Wild Turkeys and Mongrel Dogs”.  Kenny explains it more succinctly than I ever could.  The question for one to answer is “Am I a mongrel, and am I OK with that?”
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 06:17:21 PM by silvestris »
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline jims

« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2022, 05:06:49 PM »
If some of you believe reaping is bad what do you think about rifles legal in states like Wyoming and South Dakota during turkey season?  It seems like rifles are pretty darn effective at shooting turkeys at long ranges.  It's pretty spooky having rifle turkey hunters in an area with turkey reapers hiding behind a decoy or even hunters sitting in a stand behind decoys.