OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: my thoughts on reaping  (Read 29888 times)

Offline Missouri hunter

• Sterling Custom Calls
my thoughts on reaping
« on: February 26, 2020, 11:49:53 AM »
This is my thoughts I was posting on a thread that just disappeared...

I would like to see it stop. A couple people that I know that do it also to things against the law, like taking more than the legal limit, trespassing... I’m not saying all people that reap turkeys are like that but I’m afraid too many are. It already helps people limit out more than they would by just decoys setup and calling. At a time when turkey numbers and decline are on everyone’s mind, I think it might be time for us to consider if it should be allowed. I know it’s tricky, because it’s really just a decoy you use in front of yourself...
I’m not saying everyone that does it is a bad person. I’m also sure that it’s probably fun. It’s not the way I want to kill them though. I don’t think it’s overall good for turkeys.
In the future we are going to have to make decisions, for turkeys and not for ourselves. I personally have not hunted areas with major declines but it concerns me that people are. Habitat improvements, season date changes and reduced bag limits, are things that may need to be addressed. We also may need to look at our hunting practices.
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

Offline Ozarks Hillbilly

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: my thoughts on reaping
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 12:20:37 PM »
Laws are only for law abiding citizens.  My concern with it the whole concept is for the safety of the person carrying or sitting behind a full strutting decoy. And a bigger concern for someone being fooled by a very life like strutting Turkey and mistakenly shooting it. I personally condone it and advise against it on those two concerns alone. It's just a  decoy and even though the folks trying to sale these things are always going to show how well they work. I would say more often than not they don't. 

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 12:24:44 PM »
I am sure it disappeared for a reason.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 12:34:31 PM »
Though I am against it I find it funny that those that are so strongly against it simply because it is not "traditional" and claim we should only be hunting "traditionally" are often going out there and using TSS and saying that is okay. I am not saying it is not okay to use TSS but if you are going to argue on the base of traditional then please, get a string bow or a flint lock muzzle loader a wingbone call and go traditional all the way or stop judging others ways of hunting based on what on what is "traditional". Also how many of them are wearing camo? That is not "traditional" in the way it is done with clothing, go smear mud on your naked flesh for camo the way it was done "Traditionally"
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Missouri hunter

• Sterling Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 12:59:23 PM »
Though I am against it I find it funny that those that are so strongly against it simply because it is not "traditional" and claim we should only be hunting "traditionally" are often going out there and using TSS and saying that is okay. I am not saying it is not okay to use TSS but if you are going to argue on the base of traditional then please, get a string bow or a flint lock muzzle loader a wingbone call and go traditional all the way or stop judging others ways of hunting based on what on what is "traditional". Also how many of them are wearing camo? That is not "traditional" in the way it is done with clothing, go smear mud on your naked flesh for camo the way it was done "Traditionally"

I said nothing about “traditional”.
I don’t use TSS because I don’t fancy spending that much on each shell.
I would bet using a turkey fan to kill turkeys was done before the pilgrims ever got here...

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 01:45:51 PM »
I’m sure the Indians were doing some style of reaping. If they didn’t kill something they didn’t eat. It feels like more of an outdoor channel tv show kind of thing now. Like I said before if it’s legal then have fun. It’s not for me. I also don’t like the safety aspects.  Whatever gets you excited about turkey hunting is a good thing up until it’s effectiveness starts to influence the amount of tags that are allowed. If something new directly leads to me be allowed to kill fewer turkeys then I would be disappointed about that. Not saying that will happen with reaping though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jmbradt3873

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 02:04:42 PM »
I don't personally do it, but if it is legal then go for it. I don't do it for the same reason that I am extremely selective about using a gobbler decoy(or any decoy for that matter) or a gobble call; I hunt a heavily pressured wma in Florida, and getting shot in the face would really suck.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 02:16:27 PM »
It's not anything that i care to do, but if it's legal and you feel the need to do it , then go for it ... but realize , whatever happens to you or someone else, it's your on fault good or bad .... you will have to live with it forever.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Rod Bender Charters
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 02:41:18 PM »
So start another thread about the same dead horse???

Offline Missouri hunter

• Sterling Custom Calls
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 02:54:40 PM »

It’s about dead turkeys.

Offline tnanh

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 03:20:11 PM »
Tennessees management refuse to listen. Limits need lowered and season dates need changing. The people who buy the licenses and spend more time observing turkeys have been saying it for years and they dont listen. Sorry to say but in some places it may be too late. We have cwd in our deer, asian carp in our rivers and a decline in our turkeys. The Tennessee wild life reaources agency should be called the Tennessee wildlife mismanagement of reaources agency. They are an absolute, total joke. But, back to the original thread, if the limit was reduced to two and season shortened kill them any legal way you want. Where I hunt there are a lot of very large timber rattlers so if you want to crawl around behind a turkey fan go for it.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 03:40:44 PM by tnanh »

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 03:41:39 PM »

I would bet using a turkey fan to kill turkeys was done before the pilgrims ever got here...
It was not a commented directed at you, it was a comment on how I feel those that are against certain things because it does not fit into their narrow little window of thought look. I am not for it because from what I have seen it makes it much to easy to get one or highers the percentage to a dangerous point but even more so because of the safety.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Missouri hunter

• Sterling Custom Calls
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 03:50:56 PM »

It was not a commented directed at you, it was a comment on how I feel those that are against certain things because it does not fit into their narrow little window of thought look. I am not for it because from what I have seen it makes it much to easy to get one or highers the percentage to a dangerous point but even more so because of the safety.
Thanks for clarifying.
Most of us just have our window to look through. With time and experience some people getting a better view. I’m for all hunters, I just hope that we can make proper adjustments when needed.
I also believe it’s not the safest practice.

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2020, 04:50:23 PM »

I agree

Good grief Charley Brown, not this same old crap again :TrainWreck1:

Offline strum

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2020, 06:13:46 PM »
I guess this has been talked about and hashed over a lot but even though I knew what it was I really didn't know much about it "untill" I stared watching the countless videos on you tube.
  Im gonna say its not for me at all. Its just not the same as calling one in. That said I can see the allure of it .