OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Feed hogs won’t eat

Started by northms, February 25, 2020, 10:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

In the end, I suppose, it is all about someone's perspective based on where he lives and the conditions under which he hunts.  I do know one thing for sure.  Out here there is no distinction between planting a food crop solely to attract turkeys (or other wildlife) and then shooting them over it and throwing out corn or other food to attract turkeys for the same purpose. 

It is all about intent.  If the intent of either practice is to create a spot that unnaturally attracts turkeys and you plan on hunting there, both classify as baiting to me.  Granted, one is a little more "borderline" than the other.

Another argument made is that he is pulling turkeys off of adjacent properties by throwing out seed to attract them.  So, what about the guy who is planting food plots when his neighbors aren't doing that?  It accomplishes the exact same thing!  Yet, one practice is considered to be "noble" and the other is condemned.  Why is that?  It could be that the corn-thrower just does not have the time or inclination to plant food plots on his property, but in either case, the end result is the same.

Now, I completely buy the argument that having food plots creates habitat that helps wild turkeys.  Do it for that purpose and all is well in my mind.  Start sitting on those food plots to kill turkeys because you know they will show up there,...well, that's a different story.  Whether or not you can justify it in your own mind that it is okay makes no difference to some of us.  It is still baiting,...one  just seems to be more acceptable to some than others.

Swather

Quote from: northms on February 25, 2020, 10:13:19 PM
We have a bit of private land and I would like to put out some feed of some kind this week as our season is three weeks away but lately we have been over run with hogs. Much worse than any year before now. Is there anything I can put out that the turkeys would eat but the hogs wouldn't just devour? Anything corn related I know they will destroy. I hate hogs.

I do not know if there anything a turkey will eat that a hog will not eat.

But you can plow some strips with a harrow, spread something not terribly expensive like wheat or oats, and then plow it in lightly.  Perhaps then spread a little seed lightly on top.  The turkeys will scratch for it.  The hogs might root in there too, but they won't be able to eat it as easily as the turkeys will.

Swather

Quote from: northms on February 26, 2020, 09:43:12 AM
Thanks, guys. We are absolutely slap run over with hogs lately. Not surprisingly our turkey population has nosedived over the last 5-7 but I think some of that is on par with what others have seen in the state regardless. But the hogs aren't helping I'm sure.

I have a guy that hunts them with dogs that comes out occasionally and we shoot them during deer season no questions asked when/if we see one. But we do need to start trapping for sure. I was thinking maybe some large bags of wheat as suggested down some of the roads spread out a lot or even the birdseed idea.

I don't plan on feeding the turkeys year-round and certainly not during the season so this would just be a one-off type deal, for now, to feed them a month in advance of the season. Did I mention I HATE hogs?

Well, you should invite some of your turkey forum friends to shoot the hogs between deer season and turkey season.

Gamblinman

Quote from: Swather on February 29, 2020, 05:31:31 PM
Thanks, guys. We are absolutely slap run over with hogs lately. Not surprisingly our turkey population has nosedived over the last 5-7 but I think some of that is on par with what others have seen in the state regardless. But the hogs aren't helping I'm sure.

I have a guy that hunts them with dogs that comes out occasionally and we shoot them during deer season no questions asked when/if we see one. But we do need to start trapping for sure. I was thinking maybe some large bags of wheat as suggested down some of the roads spread out a lot or even the birdseed idea.

I don't plan on feeding the turkeys year-round and certainly not during the season so this would just be a one-off type deal, for now, to feed them a month in advance of the season. Did I mention I HATE hogs?

Well, you should invite some of your turkey forum friends to shoot the hogs between deer season and turkey season.

If you want some hogs to eat, shooting them is fine, but you won't control their numbers. You have to trap whole sounders at one time to have any real effect on the population.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

northms

Again, not that it seems to matter at this point to some, but I have no plan to hunt over bait. Every turkey I killed last year was on MS public land. This was regarding putting some feed out more than a month before I would be hunting the area due to the 100% fact that I know my neighbors are pouring the corn like a dump truck. To the guys saying learn to hunt better and learn to call you make me laugh reading that.

I likely will forgo putting out any feed due to the hog situation regardless but for some of you to act like you're above putting out any supplemental feed a month or more before hunting on private land, or at any other point in the year to keep them in the area, is comical. I didn't know I was such an outlaw.  ::)

LaLongbeard

Quote from: northms on February 29, 2020, 09:07:44 PM
some of you to act like you're above putting out any supplemental feed a month or more before hunting on private land, or at any other point in the year to keep them in the area, is comical.

What I find comical is you thinking anyone believes you were not looking for a way to bait turkeys during the season. And yes most of the hunters on this forum are above baiting to kill a turkey. But every year there's at least one person trying convince themselves or anyone else that baiting is ok. I don't care if you planted it or poured it out of a bag if you spend your time sitting on a food source to kill turkeys your baiting.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

northms

LA, you can believe what you want my friend if it helps you paint me as a villain. I know who I am ethically and sleep just fine. I hope you have a safe season and limit out. You and I probably have much more in common, like our love of turkey hunting and the outdoors, than what we differ on like squabbles like this. I hope you have a blessed season.

drake799

Man there some self righteous people on this forum!!!!  I never thought I'd see the day where a planted food plot was baiting but I guess that day has come   

GobbleNut

Quote from: drake799 on March 01, 2020, 09:12:08 AM
Man there some self righteous people on this forum!!!!  I never thought I'd see the day where a planted food plot was baiting but I guess that day has come   

I have commented on this, so I want to clarify my position.  First of all, I am fine with food plots and folks that hunt over them.  I am also fine with people that throw out feed of some sort to attract turkeys to their property.  My position is that IF you hunt over either one of them, they are both a form of baiting.  One may be considered legal and the other one not, but the bottom line is they both serve the same purpose,...that is to unnaturally attract turkeys to a specific location. 

If you go to a food plot and sit there knowing full well that a gobbler is going to show up there to get a bite to eat, you are hunting over bait,...no if's, and's, or but's about it.  I don't care if you do that (if it is legal), but don't fool yourself,...and please don't get offended by my personal position on the matter.

My problem with this thread is that northms was simply asking for suggestions on how to address his hog problem and some folks jumped to the conclusion that he was trying to bait turkeys.  I believe he has cleared that up for those of us with some level of objectivity here. 

The End....

FL-Boss

This... trapping is the only way. You can knock out 100 of them in no time..

Quote from: Gamblinman on February 29, 2020, 08:17:16 PM
Quote from: Swather on February 29, 2020, 05:31:31 PM

If you want some hogs to eat, shooting them is fine, but you won't control their numbers. You have to trap whole sounders at one time to have any real effect on the population.

fallhnt

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 01, 2020, 09:47:15 AM

I have commented on this, so I want to clarify my position.  First of all, I am fine with food plots and folks that hunt over them.  I am also fine with people that throw out feed of some sort to attract turkeys to their property.  My position is that IF you hunt over either one of them, they are both a form of baiting.  One may be considered legal and the other one not, but the bottom line is they both serve the same purpose,...that is to unnaturally attract turkeys to a specific location. 

If you go to a food plot and sit there knowing full well that a gobbler is going to show up there to get a bite to eat, you are hunting over bait,...no if's, and's, or but's about it.  I don't care if you do that (if it is legal), but don't fool yourself,...and please don't get offended by my personal position on the matter.

My problem with this thread is that northms was simply asking for suggestions on how to address his hog problem and some folks jumped to the conclusion that he was trying to bait turkeys.  I believe he has cleared that up for those of us with some level of objectivity here. 

The End....
He was asking about feed for turkey that hogs would not eat.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Bowguy

Millennial thinking. Food plots are even a new thing and sport hunting should be sporting. No attempts at making things real easy imo. No I don't use tss, no I don't shoot far, no I don't bait, jump shoot rabbits the dogs need to circle em first, , I don't pass shoot ducks, they need to decoy, I won't shoot an upland bird without a point, don't shoot turkeys out of trees, etc etc etc. I'm not judging you either. But don't seem so incredulous some guys think different. Sport hunting should be sporting. New folks don't get it seems

Bowguy

Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 29, 2020, 10:56:18 PM
Quote from: northms on February 29, 2020, 09:07:44 PM
some of you to act like you're above putting out any supplemental feed a month or more before hunting on private land, or at any other point in the year to keep them in the area, is comical.

What I find comical is you thinking anyone believes you were not looking for a way to bait turkeys during the season. And yes most of the hunters on this forum are above baiting to kill a turkey. But every year there's at least one person trying convince themselves or anyone else that baiting is ok. I don't care if you planted it or poured it out of a bag if you spend your time sitting on a food source to kill turkeys your baiting.

This is prob close to the truth. To the op, seriously if your neighbors are putting dump trucks of bait out do you thing a simple handful of corn a month earlier might sway them to come to you?? Think about that

dublelung

Feb 26 and you're going to feed them a month in advance of the season? When does your season begin in that part of Mississippi? Youth season opens in 5 days.
BTW there's nothing you can feed a turkey that a hog won't eat.

drake799

Quote from: Bowguy on March 02, 2020, 07:02:04 AM

Millennial thinking. Food plots are even a new thing and sport hunting should be sporting. No attempts at making things real easy imo. No I don't use tss, no I don't shoot far, no I don't bait, jump shoot rabbits the dogs need to circle em first, , I don't pass shoot ducks, they need to decoy, I won't shoot an upland bird without a point, don't shoot turkeys out of trees, etc etc etc. I'm not judging you either. But don't seem so incredulous some guys think different. Sport hunting should be sporting. New folks don't get it seems

Millennial thinkin.....LOL.    I own 60 acres that I hunt a handful of times a year   If hunting over a clover plot that I have planted for wildlife makes me a cheat then by all means call the law on me and everyone like me. I guess we're just not worthy to breathe the same air as you Good Ole Boys    What a dang joke