OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Ramping Up My New Jersey Scouting. Goal Is To Take 3 Tom's There This Spring.

Started by quavers59, February 24, 2020, 09:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixbird

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 01, 2020, 08:18:21 AM
When people get on the internet and broadcast information that's best kept off public forums.

:z-dizzy: :z-dizzy: :z-dizzy: idiot.

People just try to help others, which is nice.
Thing is, sometimes when they do that, things look a lot rosier than they actually are. People think that's the next mecca and before it's over, everybody has less opportunity and less success.
N.J. is good in pockets, like everywhere else. Where there is public ground, it gets hammered, generally. Private can be good but the competition for private is ferocious.
It's a free country to anyone who can spring for a license but don't think it'll be the next Kansas...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeffC

Got "A & E" , and my son got "E" week, so far system is running pretty good , both were 1st choices. We will see what happens on the 30th...
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Bowguy

Quote from: Ol timer on February 28, 2020, 09:55:38 AM
There might be a few guys disappointed this season when the OTC sales come with the new system in place. Not sure how it's going to be set up this year but time spent figuring out what to do as its new, could leave many without permits. With the usual mad dash minutes count in some zones.

Not sure if I'm reading you right but are you thinking getting permits may be hard? You can print paper ones from home and they're legal. Licenses must eventually be on license paper but not permits

Bowguy

Quote from: sixbird on February 27, 2020, 08:54:03 PM
It's no mecca. Public land gets hammered. Permission on private is very difficult to get.
Game dept. is more interested in selling tags than increasing populations and improving habitat.
If you know somebody you may do well. Otherwise it'll be difficult.

Six bird I hunt quite a bit of state land. It's less pressured than private. Idk where guys are referring to but if there's always ways of buying distance

Bowguy

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 01, 2020, 08:18:21 AM
When people get on the internet and broadcast information that's best kept off public forums.

:z-dizzy: :z-dizzy: :z-dizzy: idiot.

Agree best to keep things quiet, certainly publically. Some fellows can't resist. Makes you wonder

sixbird

Quote from: Bowguy on March 02, 2020, 07:58:32 AM
Quote from: sixbird on February 27, 2020, 08:54:03 PM
It's no mecca. Public land gets hammered. Permission on private is very difficult to get.
Game dept. is more interested in selling tags than increasing populations and improving habitat.
If you know somebody you may do well. Otherwise it'll be difficult.

Six bird I hunt quite a bit of state land. It's less pressured than private. Idk where guys are referring to but if there's always ways of buying distance

Well, in areas where permits are extremely difficult to get, pressure IS less, but that's a function of reduced availability.
My experience with public has been bordering on a mob scene or at least heavily trafficked.
I took a young fella' out on youth day on a public area. The particular spot encompassed about 20 acres that adjoined a huge tract.
When it got light, there were three groups in that 20 acres. Scared me a little.
I've hunted public a fair amount and aside from those with very limited permit availability, my experience has been they get hammered.

Bowguy

Ol timer

Quote from: Bowguy on March 02, 2020, 07:56:16 AM
There might be a few guys disappointed this season when the OTC sales come with the new system in place. Not sure how it's going to be set up this year but time spent figuring out what to do as its new, could leave many without permits. With the usual mad dash minutes count in some zones.

Not sure if I'm reading you right but are you thinking getting permits may be hard? You can print paper ones from home and they're legal. Licenses must eventually be on license paper but not permits
The new system will most likely crash it's never been tested with thousands of folks attempting to get in at the same time to purchase the tags. You can't print what you can't get!!

quavers59

Public Land is indeed good " if" you are in good shape and age is no barrier. I Hike year round and that is a big part of my success. I opt to hunt Mountain Gobblers in NY + NJ.  I  rarely see another Spring Hunter.   

Bowguy

Quote from: Ol timer on March 03, 2020, 07:16:40 AM
Quote from: Bowguy on March 02, 2020, 07:56:16 AM

The new system will most likely crash it's never been tested with thousands of folks attempting to get in at the same time to purchase the tags. You can't print what you can't get!!

Something interesting.... I've gotten mine yesterday but notifications went out saying we were successful. Last night one went out saying unsuccessful. I already have permit in possession though. My buddy got same notice n didn't yet buy his but the draw results show he won.
Regardless they've done this a while now. It always works out. I just don't wait til last minute

JeffC

To you guys hunting up state, are you running into or seeing more bear sign? With the gov shutting off the public lands I've heard they are getting out of hand up there.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

quavers59

Bowguy-- is right about just buying space and putting distance from other Spring Hunters. By the way Bowguy--, I remember you well from huntingny.com when you were active over on that Site just a few years ago.

Bowguy

Quote from: JeffC on March 03, 2020, 08:06:15 AM
To you guys hunting up state, are you running into or seeing more bear sign? With the gov shutting off the public lands I've heard they are getting out of hand up there.

Not even close. I used to see up to 11 bears a day and multiple every day. It's def less. Remember the hunt itself is a fairly happening, the bears respect you more as well now too. Whoever said they are getting out of hand misinformed you. Yes it was better when everything was open but not nearly as bad as before we had a season. That was bad

randy6471

Well I certainly learned something, because I never knew that the turkey hunting in NJ is as good as it sounds. No...I'm not looking to jump the state line and see for myself, but I will say good luck to you guys for a successful spring season!

quavers59

NJ can be good if you are in Shape for The rigors of Public Land. Back of Beyond. I have only been on Private Land a grand total of 3 Times-- so, I have no idea what happens on Private Fields + Food Plots.