OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Ramping Up My New Jersey Scouting. Goal Is To Take 3 Tom's There This Spring.

Started by quavers59, February 24, 2020, 09:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

I hiked 2 1/2 hours in New Jersey yesterday. Trying to Scout more in that State as, my goal is to take 3 Public Tomsin NJ this Spring. Cutting down on my New York scouting as, I know my Public Hotspots very well.  What, like about NJ is the Fact that after their Lottery- you can buy ( over the counter) Turkey Permits as long as they are available for 21 Bucks. I usually buy 5 Turkey Tags each Spring in NJ.  Other NJ Spring Hunters will buy more then that.  My record is 4 Public Toms in a Spring and, I am hoping to Bag 5 Public Toms in a Spring before, I get too much older as, I am 60. So hopefully 3 in NJ + 2 in my home State of NY. Good Luck to all this upcoming Spring!!

turkeymanjim

I didn't get to hunt in new York last year because I had a mishap at home where i fell 20' off my patio roof and broke my foot in 6 places. Just wondering about the turkey population there where u live. I hunt in the catskills mts. In Delaware county.
Thanks Jim

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

quavers59

Coyotes are a big problem as usual. Get on huntingny.com and you will see a few Threads about Coyotes! One member says there are many Coyotes in Delaware County.   Coyotes are also an issue in Orange County- but the Turkey Population is Strong.

JeffC

Hunt south jersey, best yr killed 4 in jersey 1 in Maryland. Always wanted a Jersey slam, 5 birds , 1 for each week. Find "D" week it becomes a ambush hunt, way too much pressure by then, birds stop responding to calls. I always will buy at least 2 "E" tags, and pick up at least 1 tag for each week. Grew up in Jersey when there wasn't a Turkey to be hunted, now paying non-res fees to come back and just hunt them. Good luck on your goals this year, just have to put in the time. Coyotes have gotten bad down here also.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

quavers59

I like the Sound of ( Jersey Slam)!  I know members of NJ Woods + Waters.com have done that. 1 Tom a week for 5 Total.

sixbird

There are no turkeys in South Jersey...Just so you know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: sixbird on February 26, 2020, 12:51:35 PM
There are no turkeys in South Jersey...Just so you know...

^ Yup! What he said.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Bowguy

Quote from: JeffC on February 24, 2020, 12:38:49 PM
Hunt south jersey, best yr killed 4 in jersey 1 in Maryland. Always wanted a Jersey slam, 5 birds , 1 for each week. Find "D" week it becomes a ambush hunt, way too much pressure by then, birds stop responding to calls. I always will buy at least 2 "E" tags, and pick up at least 1 tag for each week. Grew up in Jersey when there wasn't a Turkey to be hunted, now paying non-res fees to come back and just hunt them. Good luck on your goals this year, just have to put in the time. Coyotes have gotten bad down here also.

By D week the pressure is gone. Prob falling off most areas C week.  You can also hunt afternoons D week. Something very different n unexpected. I'll be honest, it's typically too hot for me but you can find one going absolutely ballistic at times and fairly easy to kill.
Using other techniques than  others could help too. Imo it can be harder to find one in the exact mood but if you get one responsive there's a high probality of success.

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

spaightlabs

Just a quick prediction:

Within 3 years guys are wondering what happened to all of the turkeys in NJ.  :TooFunny:

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

sixbird

It's no mecca. Public land gets hammered. Permission on private is very difficult to get.
Game dept. is more interested in selling tags than increasing populations and improving habitat.
If you know somebody you may do well. Otherwise it'll be difficult.

Greg Massey

Ol timer

There might be a few guys disappointed this season when the OTC sales come with the new system in place. Not sure how it's going to be set up this year but time spent figuring out what to do as its new, could leave many without permits. With the usual mad dash minutes count in some zones.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

When people get on the internet and broadcast information that's best kept off public forums.

:z-dizzy: :z-dizzy: :z-dizzy: idiot.