turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many people have heard the following quote

Started by King Cobra, February 10, 2020, 04:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

I think the overall percent of kills per year has decreased or has flatten our overall throughout the states , some state's will have a better percents than other depending on habitat, hatch and terrain. As one person said on another post , the non-serious turkey hunting may hunt opening weekend , then as the birds become harder to hunt , these people drop off and then what's left is the true turkey hunts the rest of the season.. I would also say that most all states, turkey hunting was at it's best probably back 5 years ago or better .. years back less weekend hunters per the available turkeys , and more serious turkey hunters.  Like some will say is it a trend or just a fad ... It's all interesting anyway ...

roberthyman14

Quote from: Crghss on February 10, 2020, 06:58:20 PM
1 in 10 hunters kill all the turkeys over and over again. Have a hard time believing that.

In PA hunting private land had over 50% success rate. In FL hunting public land haven't shot a turkey.
Florida public is seriously tough.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

StruttinGobbler3

With my new strategy of using military camo netting to completely drape over my electric golf cart, with a full strut dsd mounted on the hood, I fully intend to become one of the 10 percent. Those field gobblers don't stand a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

3bailey3

I never talk to another turkey hunter in the season and have never filled out a survey, So?

Gobble!

lmbunch69

I'm pretty new to turkey hunting but the "best" deer hunters I know simply have more time to go. My one buddy who filled his buck tags in 2 states last year worked 3rd shift. He could hunt any morning he wanted to. He was just in the woods more and had more opportunity. I think time to hunt is what helps certain guys kill more birds/deer.

MK M GOBL

Have heard the percentage thing but was "20% of hunters take 80% of the game". Can apply that to whatever your game is i.e. Turkey/Deer/Ducks/Fishing and what not. I would think if you are serious about what you do you put your time into it, you learn the game your after and your skill level goes up.

MK M GOBL

mudhen

"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Pressured Gobbler

Quote from: King Cobra on February 10, 2020, 04:13:22 PM
"10 percent of all Spring Gobbler Hunters kill 90 percent of the Spring Gobblers". I'm interested in your thoughts...

1st time and only time I heard it was Roger Raglin said it back in the early 90's I was watching one of his hunting VHS's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr Juice

King Cobra

I appreciate your responses and agree that new technology is definitely increasing the odds for those who wish to go down that road.

Another aspect is the availability of private land vs. National Forest.

I also believe that the Passion of the Spring Hunt drives some people to become better and that has a direct influence on their success.

Lastly, does anybody know where can I find one of those ROBO turkey decoys with a remote controlled 10 gauge strapped to its back...
Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

guesswho

I think Gobblenut is a distributor, if he's out you could try LaLongbeard. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Spurs

I tend to agree with the thought, but I'd say the overall percentage is exaggerated.  I'm in the oil/gas industry and meet tons of people on new jobs.  Many of these guys find out I hunt and as we become better aquatinted, it seems that many of these "hunters" are mainly "goers".  They go 3-4 times a year on an old family place that may, or may not, have a bird.  My number would likely be something closer to 10% of Turkey hunters kill 50-75% of spring govblers
This year is going to suck!!!

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on February 11, 2020, 07:03:01 AM
I think Gobblenut is a distributor

Yup.  They're flyin' off the shelf like hotcakes.  ...Mostly to Alabama and Georgia boys. 
(Dammit,...I wish my emoji dealybob wasn't broke.  ...gotta get that fixed somehow...)

simpzenith

Quote from: King Cobra on February 10, 2020, 04:13:22 PM
"10 percent of all Spring Gobbler Hunters kill 90 percent of the Spring Gobblers". I'm interested in your thoughts...

The actual saying is "90% of ALL game (not just gobblers) is killed by 10% of hunters."

I doubt it's that skewed but I feel that it's not far from it. Maybe something like 70% by 20% or something similar.