turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many people have heard the following quote

Started by King Cobra, February 10, 2020, 04:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King Cobra

"10 percent of all Spring Gobbler Hunters kill 90 percent of the Spring Gobblers". I'm interested in your thoughts...
Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

Turkeyman

Not sure of percentages but certainly there are turkey hunters which kill turkeys every year as opposed to those that kill a turkey every so often.

Southerngobbler

I've heard that said one time or another to just about anything hunting and fishing related.

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Marc

I agree that it is a bit exaggerated, but the idea holds true...

Couple years back at our duck club, with 12 members and 900 ducks being killed for the season, there were 3 members that were responsible (with guests) for killing over 600 of them, and a couple members killed less than 10...

There will always be some hunters that actively engage in the activity and take extra steps to become more knowledgeable, stay out longer, call better, shoot better, etc...  Those hunters will buffer the averages towards the higher end...

Watching Youtube on both duck and turkey hunting...  There are hunters that are consistently successful due to their hunting skills and knowledge...  Then there are other hunters who are occasionally successful despite them.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Sir-diealot

I have heard the same said of about every commonly hunted animal in North America.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

crow

Since I bought my robo strutter decoy, I am planning on leveling those percentages out a little.

1iagobblergetter

I've never heard of it..Doubtful,but definitely some of us are more consistent in killing them than others.

Harty

Quote from: Marc on February 10, 2020, 05:17:57 PM

There will always be some hunters that actively engage in the activity and take extra steps to become more knowledgeable, stay out longer, call better, shoot better, etc...  Those hunters will buffer the averages towards the higher end...

I think exaggerated, but agree with above.  I know some hunters who fill their tag or tags every year, but they are out there everyday of the season all day rain,snow,sleet , sub freezing
temps. They don't give up ! Very persistent versus those fair weather people who get discouraged easily.

Crghss

1 in 10 hunters kill all the turkeys over and over again. Have a hard time believing that.

In PA hunting private land had over 50% success rate. In FL hunting public land haven't shot a turkey. 

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Happy

Nope. Would say there are a few fellows that consistently do better than most but it isn't that high. Specially with a lot of the newer trends that are being employed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Delmar ODonnell

In Mississippi last year, only 9.7% of hunters killed the 3 bird limit, but that only accounted for roughly 21% of the overall harvest.

SteelerFan

Struthunter

Probably true. In Florida at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Quote from: King Cobra on February 10, 2020, 04:13:22 PM
"10 percent of all Spring Gobbler Hunters kill 90 percent of the Spring Gobblers". I'm interested in your thoughts...

A saying worth consideration,...or at least a bit of frivolous discussion while we wait to go hunting....

No doubt that really serious turkey hunters kill a bigger percentage than their numbers.  However, the number of serious turkey hunters as compared to the total number of turkey hunters is pretty small. I suspect really serious turkey hunters probably make up less than 10% of the overall number of turkey hunters. I would say a more accurate statement would be that "10% of hunters might kill 20% to 25% of the birds taken".  Even that would be totally speculative,...but hey, it's worth talking about during the off-season,...and especially among us "serious turkey hunters".  If nothing else, it makes us feel good about ourselves....