turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many people have heard the following quote

Started by King Cobra, February 10, 2020, 04:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Ward

So 10% of the hunters killed 90% of the birds? Huh. Well then, i think the real question you are asking is whether or not they used decoys/blinds/neutron bombs/ sasquatch scented corn to do it?

Struthunter

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on February 10, 2020, 10:03:10 PM
With my new strategy of using military camo netting to completely drape over my electric golf cart, with a full strut dsd mounted on the hood, I fully intend to become one of the 10 percent. Those field gobblers don't stand a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Let us know if that works. I hate field birds. I used to say that I was going to dig a hole and wait. :))

StruttinGobbler3

Quote from: Struthunter on February 11, 2020, 09:22:04 AM
Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on February 10, 2020, 10:03:10 PM
With my new strategy of using military camo netting to completely drape over my electric golf cart, with a full strut dsd mounted on the hood, I fully intend to become one of the 10 percent. Those field gobblers don't stand a chance.

Let us know if that works. I hate field birds. I used to say that I was going to dig a hole and wait. :))
Field birds are the most frustrating gobbler you will ever hunt. Trust me, I've thought of some crazy methods in the past to take one out. The golf cart idea is a joke, but I have thought of some tactics that would probably get a good laugh.

John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

hotspur

Location,location, location. Having exclusive access to good ground will spike your curve over those that do not

THattaway

Not 10% kill 90% but the SC turkey harvest report stated a repeated comment on percentage harvest by small group in every year's harvest report. The only change to the comment was when the limit was dropped from 5 to 3. You can check every year report by simply changing the year in the links below. A small percentage take a proportionately larger amount of turkey. Killers gonna kill and I think that's the point.

www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/turkey/2019TurkeyHarvest.html
2019-3 bird limit
"The statewide bag limit in South Carolina is 3 gobblers. Obviously, most successful hunters harvest only one or two birds. However, it is interesting to note the relative contribution to the total harvest of turkeys by the few hunters that harvest 3 birds. Ironically, the percentage of hunters taking 3 birds was only 2.3 percent, however, this small percentage of hunters harvested an estimated 28 percent of the total birds taken in the state (Figure 6)."

www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/turkey/2015TurkeyHarvest.html
2015-5 bird limit
"The statewide bag limit in South Carolina is five gobblers. Obviously, most successful hunters harvest only one or two birds. However, it is interesting to note the relative contribution to the total harvest of turkeys by the few hunters that harvest many birds. Ironically, the percentage of hunters taking more than 3 birds was only 2.2 percent, however, this small percentage of hunters harvested 25 percent of the total birds taken in the state (Figure 8 ). These results have been consistent since this type of data has been available."
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

NCL

Not a mathematician but if 10% pf the hunters take 90% of the turkeys, then would not not mean they are over their limit?

StruttinGobbler3

Very true. For instance, in Georgia, if there were 5000 active turkey hunters, 3 gobblers per hunter would be 15000 turkeys. 10% of the total hunters would be 500 guys. 90% of the turkeys would be 13,500 gobblers. Now if those 500 hunters killed 13,500 turkeys, that would equate to 27 gobblers per hunter. Which would naturally lead to the conclusion that the 10% are professional poachers. Just stirring the pot, lol.

John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

MS Boy

Who cares about the numbers of who kills what just go have fun and enjoy what God has given each and every one of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShootingABN!

Quote from: simpzenith on February 11, 2020, 08:29:22 AM
Quote from: King Cobra on February 10, 2020, 04:13:22 PM
"10 percent of all Spring Gobbler Hunters kill 90 percent of the Spring Gobblers". I'm interested in your thoughts...

The actual saying is "90% of ALL game (not just gobblers) is killed by 10% of hunters."

I doubt it's that skewed but I feel that it's not far from it. Maybe something like 70% by 20% or something similar.

I recognize that turkey Pro. "Shoot them in the bubbles"!!!!