OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sad news, likely lost my favorite farm

Started by Timmer, January 30, 2020, 04:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timmer

Last night I spoke with the brothers of a farm that I have been hunting on for 21 years. They informed me that they were getting too old to farm and that their cows were all hauled away this week.  They are putting the farm up for sale.  In my experience, new owners are never as generous as the old farmers so I likely will lose my tradition.  On the turkey hunting side, it's 325 acres of fields plus wooded hills surrounding every inch of the place.  I vastly prefer sneak hunting and sitting for short spells over other turkey hunting methods (such as sitting in a blind for a period of time), and this place is big enough and has enough varying terrain to enable me to do it all day long.  On the non turkey hunting side, it's a beautiful place and I love going there to decompress and be exposed to all things quiet and nature.  I am super bummed out!   :'(
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

limhnger

Timmer

Quote from: limhnger on January 30, 2020, 04:37:10 PM
Buy it!

It's in the highly desirable bluff country in SE Minnesota.  Fertile farm land and a hunting mecca.  Can you loan me the $1.5-$2m? 
Timmer

eggshell

Hunt long enough and this scenario will repeat it's self several times. That is why you always look for new places. I have lost access to at least 2000 acres in my 47 years of turkey hunting. Sad thing is it's getting harder to find places with so much leasing going on around me. Still I manage to get a new spot every couple years. I used to focus on larger areas of 100 acres or more, but I have found there are a lot of 25+ acre plots you can kill turkeys on.

Harty

I with others have  experienced the same thing sadly,but you never know. When it sells put your best foot forward and talk to the new owners.i could feel your emotion in your paragraph. Convey that to them when requesting hunting privileges.If need be broach the subject of leasing. I've tried it and failed,but also have been welcomed and made new friends. At least the land will hopefully be preserved versus sub divided and 6-7 homes popping up.

Timmer

Quote from: eggshell on January 30, 2020, 04:42:24 PM
Hunt long enough and this scenario will repeat it's self several times. That is why you always look for new places. I have lost access to at least 2000 acres in my 47 years of turkey hunting. Sad thing is it's getting harder to find places with so much leasing going on around me. Still I manage to get a new spot every couple years. I used to focus on larger areas of 100 acres or more, but I have found there are a lot of 25+ acre plots you can kill turkeys on.

I figured it would happen one day, but since there are 3 brothers, I didn't think it would happen so soon.  I thought they might stop farming one by one.

I do have other places, but none as big or as nice.  I usually use those when with my son, as he prefers to sit in a blind rather than sneak hunt.  Again, that's not my style of hunting, but maybe I will learn to like it more.  Or maybe I'll stumble on something else.
Timmer

Jfowler82

I had the same thing happen about 7 years ago. It was rough the farm I had been hunting was 650 acres and loaded with deer and turkey. We hunted the farm for 16 years and had some unbelievable hunts and memories! After that I went to hunting public land and got permission on a smaller private farm but I will say don't underestimate public land .

shatcher

Try writing the new owners a nice letter.  You might be surprised.

5arraquiver

I think you've been very blessed! Don't give up on it yet  ;)
Questions? Answer: Jesus

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Timmer on January 30, 2020, 04:34:18 PM
Last night I spoke with the brothers of a farm that I have been hunting on for 21 years. They informed me that they were getting too old to farm and that their cows were all hauled away this week.  They are putting the farm up for sale.  In my experience, new owners are never as generous as the old farmers so I likely will lose my tradition.  On the turkey hunting side, it's 325 acres of fields plus wooded hills surrounding every inch of the place.  I vastly prefer sneak hunting and sitting for short spells over other turkey hunting methods (such as sitting in a blind for a period of time), and this place is big enough and has enough varying terrain to enable me to do it all day long.  On the non turkey hunting side, it's a beautiful place and I love going there to decompress and be exposed to all things quiet and nature.  I am super bummed out!   :'(

So on the "buy it" side, have you looked into timber value? I know logging with some good wood prices and the right timber can go a long way, good for the deer and turkey when done right. I have some buddies who have done this and paid for half to 3/4 of the cost of a farm, there again dependent on the timber value. Might be something to look in to. Live on the WI side of the Mississippi in the bluff country.

MK M GOBL

eggshell

to add to the buying commentary. How much is tillable as well as timber value. You won't have any problem cash renting the farm ground. The timber value would have to be very high on a piece of ground that has mixed rolling pasture ( this sounds like what this farm is). If it doesn't have a lot of tillable ground it would be hard to pay for without gutting the timber. Your talking about a lot of time and money expended. It will eventually return very well, but most likely will cost you a lot up front in the early years. To get a farm loan you will need a very good business plan showing timber value, farm income, management plan and some expertise to execute said plan, then you'll have to come up with down payment or give away timber value to the lender. Not as easy as just go buy it unless you are loaded. Your talking around $1,000,000 minimum up to 2.5 M investment if it's the normal farm with buildings and all. I have no idea what kind of timber your area has, but here we have all hardwoods and a select cut on prime timber will net you around $1,000 -1,500.00 /acres, way short of paying for the farm. I know this because I own timber land and I have a managed harvest plan. Over 30 years I have averaged $1,000.00/acre net income cutting every 10 years. Now a total harvest may get you 2x or 3x that, but you won't like the results of what's left. You'll never live long enough to see good woods again. The good news is real estate has been on a rapid appreciation and in the long run you will do very well, but can you afford the time to wait it out. The good news is the farm will pay for it's self in income, but it will take time and the initial out put of money is usually the obstacle. You have to remember as a non-operator your sharing all the income with someone else.

Spitten and drummen

Common down here in the south. Where Im at land has been being leased since the 60's. Very rare for someone to just let you hunt for free. Gradually the landowners found out how much they could make leasing hunting rights. Word spread and over the years just about all private land worth a flip was wrapped up. You have 4 or 5 guys leasing 2000 acres. I have leased 1200 acres for the turkey rights over the last 8 years and it cost 6 grand. I have a buddy that went in so its 3k ea a year. Sucks but you have to pay to play. You can hunt public , which I do occasionally , but you have to battle the crowd. Use to be if you hit it during the week , it was not as crowded. Fast forward and now its as busy as a weekend. All the pro hunters writing about hunting weekdays to avoid the crowds , educated the crowds. One thing that is certain , nothing ever stays the same. Feel your pain op. Goodluck.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Ctrize

Get in touch with the new owners and see what their thoughts are. We had a similar experience last year and the new owner was very open to us staying. Some of these farmers are not interested in the least in hunting and welcome someone they can trust having access to the property.Its worth a shot Especially if the old farmer vouches for you.

redjones

They put the place I hunt up for sale this fall,its around 200ac. in size.
You never know whats going to happen your spot might take 5yrs or more to sell.
The farm I hunt went up for 17M,I'm not to worried about it selling right away but you never know.
But it always hurts when you loose a spot,I hunted another place for 23yrs and the owner past away,met up with the son a little time later and he said he had never met me and had never knew I hunted the place,even tho I had been the guy that supplied him and his father with the hams and deer sticks that he always loved,oh well.

Greg
Semper Fi

lmbunch69

Lost a 400+ acre farm 2 years ago. Was the best deer hunting anyone could ask for. Lost it because one of the other guys with permission got lazy and parked on the guys front yard to have a shorter walk. Now no hunting signs line everything. It's no fun but I turned to public and a lease. Don't give up hope yet.