turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sad news, likely lost my favorite farm

Started by Timmer, January 30, 2020, 04:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

I hate it for you . Have had it happen to me several times .
Saved By Grace

Spurs Up

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on January 31, 2020, 09:14:59 AM
Common down here in the south. Where Im at land has been being leased since the 60's. Very rare for someone to just let you hunt for free. Gradually the landowners found out how much they could make leasing hunting rights. Word spread and over the years just about all private land worth a flip was wrapped up. You have 4 or 5 guys leasing 2000 acres. I have leased 1200 acres for the turkey rights over the last 8 years and it cost 6 grand. I have a buddy that went in so its 3k ea a year. Sucks but you have to pay to play. You can hunt public , which I do occasionally , but you have to battle the crowd. Use to be if you hit it during the week , it was not as crowded. Fast forward and now its as busy as a weekend. All the pro hunters writing about hunting weekdays to avoid the crowds , educated the crowds. One thing that is certain , nothing ever stays the same. Feel your pain op. Goodluck.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there are not many hunters who can afford that and even fewer willing to pay that much for a turkey-only lease. Glad you can and are willing. I hope I'm never faced with that decision.

Turkeyman

Been there several times. If you don't own it, sooner or later you will lose it.

Timmer

Thanks all for the thoughts.   21 years on my version of heaven and the health to enjoy it is indeed a blessing.

They have harvested the timber once in the time I've been there.  There's also the lease value of the crop land.  I'm sure even with that income it would still be a huge investment and more than I could ever drum up. 

When it sells, I will indeed write a letter.  I would have no problem sharing how much I've enjoyed the place.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Spurs Up on January 31, 2020, 01:23:41 PM
Quote from: Spitten and drummen on January 31, 2020, 09:14:59 AM
Common down here in the south. Where Im at land has been being leased since the 60's. Very rare for someone to just let you hunt for free. Gradually the landowners found out how much they could make leasing hunting rights. Word spread and over the years just about all private land worth a flip was wrapped up. You have 4 or 5 guys leasing 2000 acres. I have leased 1200 acres for the turkey rights over the last 8 years and it cost 6 grand. I have a buddy that went in so its 3k ea a year. Sucks but you have to pay to play. You can hunt public , which I do occasionally , but you have to battle the crowd. Use to be if you hit it during the week , it was not as crowded. Fast forward and now its as busy as a weekend. All the pro hunters writing about hunting weekdays to avoid the crowds , educated the crowds. One thing that is certain , nothing ever stays the same. Feel your pain op. Goodluck.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there are not many hunters who can afford that and even fewer willing to pay that much for a turkey-only lease. Glad you can and are willing. I hope I'm never faced with that decision.

Yep , not cheap. I save money all year , do side jobs and work overtime to fund it. If I dont pay it , someone else will. I have had some try to lease it out from under me. Because of my relation with the land owner , I have been able to hold on to it. Turkey hunting is my passion and I will figure out what I need to do to be able to fund it.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

notsure

Since 2012, I've been fortunate enough to have gained permission to hunt on a 450 acre farm in the Chatfield, MN area. I could lose the privilege at anytime (as has occurred on other properties I used to hunt), so I appreciate every opportunity to step foot on the property, regardless of whether the hunt was successful. Hopefully in 10 years or so, the wife and I will have a back 40 of our own.

dublelung

It surely sucks but it's part of the game. I've lost access to a few prime turkey spots over the years, you've just gotta keep your feelers out and keep after them.

Sir-diealot

I used to hunt a place 2 miles up the road that always had turkey, you had to be extremely careful as to which way you shot as there is a main road not far across the field. I tried to get back to hunting it after I was able to hunt again but now they have family there hunting so I will never get back on that land. Another land that was very close to me the owner ruined the land by wiping out every tree and hedgerow in site so not it is not good for hunting anymore, pity because I have never seen more sign from a larger verity of animals on any one piece of land in my life and now that is all gone. I am now very lucky to have 85 acres of land that my landlords kids let me hunt for turkey (Wish they would let me bow hunt deer but they won't, can gun hunt them there though) I throw them a hundred dollars worth of seed every year when I am able just because I think it is the sportsman thing to do, though they have told me I don't need to I still think I should earn my keep there.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."