turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Am I over-thinking it?

Started by deerbasshunter3, January 26, 2020, 10:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

I am in search for some turkey hunting clothes, and have pretty much settled on Mossy Oak, especially due to their current sale...

I have all but settled on Obsession, but I feel like it looks too green for early turkey season.

Am I over-thinking it being too green?

I know people say that it really does not matter, but I can not help but feel like the Obsession pattern would stand out being so green...

neal

Doesn't matter at all. I've sat in blue jeans no gloves no face mask and called birds into my lap. Sit still that's what matters.

Neal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

PEPPERHEAD

We all sometimes fall into the marketing trap. I like new stuff as much as anyone. When it comes to camo it really doesn't matter. Like Neal said, just sit still.

Gooserbat

Your overthinking it. I buy what I can find on sale and wear it.  My personal favorite is leafy suits.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

GobbleNut

I have always said that we hunters choose our camo to impress other hunters, not the turkeys.  Unless you want to be thought of as a goober, you ALWAYS want to have the latest and greatest camo. that's just the way it is.

Seriously, the camo we wear makes almost no difference in most any hunting situation.  The fact is that almost every calling encounter with a gobbler will allow us to choose a set-up such that we blend in enough with the surroundings to get by.  Choose what you think you like and go huntin'.  When the time comes, choose a good set-up,...and  BE STILL when the time comes! 

guesswho

To much thought.   Well maybe not to much, just to much on that subject.    Most of my thoughts are geared toward finding the killing spot rather than am I to green. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Sir-diealot

Thought this might be an interesting read and may answer questions you may have. https://www.thespruce.com/how-birds-see-color-386467
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Hobbes

You are overthinking it. I've been hunting in pants that are army digital camo. A friend that retired military gave me two pair. I've not worn one yet, so guess I'll have them awhile. I don't wear the shirts/ jackets because they are uncomfortable, so I wear an assortment of camo shirts that are mostly covered by my vest.  I do like the old school MO pattern, but the birds don't g
care

rakkin6

I prefer leafy suits also, I have two of them. One in obsession and one in break up country. When it is warm enough I just wear some solid green doctors scrubs under them. When it is chilly I will wear a decent base layer. And that's what I wear all season.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

deerbasshunter3

In theory, wouldn't Bottomland be a blob in a green forest? And wouldn't Obsession be a big blob up against a big tree? In theory, of course...

Greg Massey

I remember one time in Mo. in the Irish Wilderness , i was all deck out from head to toe in tree bark camo and i came upon this local Mo. turkey hunter coming down trail with this big old gobbler over his shoulder and his first words out of his mouth was man were did you get all that fancy camo ? He was wearing blue liberty bibs and regular tee shirt and one of those old school brown camo shirt and just plain old work boots. He also was carrying old single barrel shotgun and homemade bag with few calls ... I realize at that point it's not the camo , it's woodsmanship.

GobbleNut

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on January 26, 2020, 11:18:40 AM
In theory, wouldn't Bottomland be a blob in a green forest? And wouldn't Obsession be a big blob up against a big tree? In theory, of course...

I believe that theory is plausible,..Lol.  Ultimately, it all depends on where you set up on a bird,...and most of the time you can choose a background that suits your camo,...whatever it might be..........
theoretically....

paboxcall

Over thinking this for sure. Only time I really consider camo is when we have a rare late spring snowstorm. Really limits your set up options wearing brown/green with all that white on the ground.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Gobble!

Don't move and all camo will be good enough. Doesn't hurt to be as realistic as possible though. Pick a pattern you like and go with it.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

My camo changes with the environment and time of the year I'll be hunting.

Slowly flowing with a Gobbler on his approach and remaining totally still when he's scrutinizing his surroundings are critical but I enjoy the confidence that comes with knowing I'm well hidden.

I wear bottomland in the early season and transition into obsession with a leafy jacket as foliage becomes prevalent.