OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My, how things have changed...

Started by lightsoutcalls, May 07, 2011, 09:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

We said "Mam" and "Sir"
Spoke when we were spoken to.
Big thing on the weekend was what was at the drive-in theater.
We played games OUTSIDE!!!

BowBendr

Well said Barry. I have no memories of playing with anything inside as a child.

I vividly remember every mom in our neighborhood coming outside at dusk to holler for their kids to tell them to come in for supper every evening. They had to yell for a long time..........

MaxTom

Driving my truck to school everday with a 30-30 in the back window gun rack .....

wisconsinteacher

We could set up our own ball games with any number of kids there at that time.  Kids today need someone to set it up for them.

redleg06

I cant believe no one has mentioned this but .....

When I was a kid, there were no cell phones!  Its strange but if most of yall are like me, its hard to get away from the house without one. 

Also, when I was a kid (and I hope this is just in my region of the country or at lease state) it wasnt cool for the guys to wear tighter fitting jeans than the girls... :help:

Last Strut Calls

Im 18, and much younger them most of you all but I can remember when you could get on an airplane without getting checked and going through metal detectors.

Kev

jayjay

when I was a kid.......we didnt have turkeys. Some things change for the better :z-guntootsmiley:

Big Timber

When I was a kid in grade school I could take my pocket knife out of my pocket and sharpen my pencil or clean my finger nails in class, try that today !!!

TrophyTracker

Quote from: Big Timber on May 08, 2011, 10:29:54 PM
When I was a kid in grade school I could take my pocket knife out of my pocket and sharpen my pencil or clean my finger nails in class, try that today !!!

Man, that's a good one.

I remember being in Ag class when the teacher would take us way out in the field to check on the cows, and ask for a pocket knife to cut a square bale b/c he forgot his back in the room. Every boy in the class would offer one up. I can also remember him looking the other way when we would sling a pinch of Skoal in. Usually because he was stuffing in a plug of Red Man at the same time   :angel9:
New to you, not the game
Drink a Monster, Live Forever!
Beatdown City Fl

drenalinld

When I was a kid Ronald Reagan was president.

davisd9

I am only 25 but...
I remember fighting at school without being arrested and being let duke it out as long as it was fair.
Taking a shotgun in my truck in high school because we shot ducks that morning or was going hunting after school.
I remember calling anyone older than me sir or mam with a Mr., Ms., or Mrs. in front of their name.
I remember getting hit in the back of the head by mom for not holding the door for a lady or elderly.
I remember talks with my dad about what I did wrong and then getting spanked, not a talking to in which we agreed on the consequences.
I remember walking through the woods and swamps barefoot with a bb gun, 22 rifle, or 20 gauge shotgun.
I remember playing outside in the rain, as long as there was not thunder or lightening.

Finally I remember being able to kill a turkey with a 12 gauge with and improved cyclinder choke and lead #5s at less than 20 yards.  :z-guntootsmiley:
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

guesswho

When I was a kid I wouldn't have had anything to play with if I wasn't born a boy. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

barry

Quote from: guesswho on May 09, 2011, 01:24:05 PM
When I was a kid I wouldn't have had anything to play with if I wasn't born a boy. 

Dude, you ain't right but that don't mean you aren't correct.

Quote from: 2ounce6s on May 09, 2011, 01:28:38 PM
I'd say from your response that if had you been born a girl you would have just had more to play with.

You mean more of the same thing?

Nimrodmar10

I started a reply to this, but I cancelled it. Things were so different in the 50s the list would take up pages and pages. We'd probably all be better off if we could go back to those simpler times.

gobbler74

When I was a kid,
7 year olds didn't have cell phones,
You got presents at Christmas not Easter.
You rode in the back of a truck whenever you got a chance. Cartoons were Saturday morning not 24/7. Neighborhood gunshots were a sign that hunting season is close. Parents spanked their kids when they needed it. 2 channels of tv was the average, if you got three you were high class. the biggest tvs were 26", POP was in glass bottles, drive ins were still cool, crack was too much butt cheek, we knew for a fact our president was American. Phones had cords, trucks had gun racks, "inner" net was a fish. We all carried a knife to school, a POP and a candy bar were still under a dollar for both. $5 worth was enough gas to cruise a bit in friday night. Best of all hunting, fishing and camping were away of life not "the cool" thing to do. Of course its still cool...though
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"