OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My, how things have changed...

Started by lightsoutcalls, May 07, 2011, 09:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flydowntn

When I was a kid when mom would make a cake, cupcakes, brownies, etc, you could lick the bowl, the spoon. mixer blades without the worry of being sick for a week because of the raw eggs in it.  Man the good ole days were awesome.

Shane
S. P. Game Calls

TRKYHTR

Quote from: flydowntn on May 09, 2011, 05:15:21 PM
When I was a kid when mom would make a cake, cupcakes, brownies, etc, you could lick the bowl, the spoon. mixer blades without the worry of being sick for a week because of the raw eggs in it.  Man the good ole days were awesome.

Shane

You mean you can't lick the bowl or spoon or those twirly things that mix the batter? Nobody told me. I still do it and haven't kicked the bucket yet.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Last Strut Calls

I love reading these guys keep em coming! Things have changed dramatically. A kid in my school district got expelled for having a visible box cutter in his car that he used for work. I have witnessed many other students in a few of my classes cus and swear at teachers. My dad always talks about the good ol days also. Like for example, when he went to school, the lunch ladies would serve real food that was palatable. He would duck hunt before and after school. I get sick of listening to my friends rave about their video games and what phone they are getting next. If i wasnt running track or cross country or doing homework, I was hunting, fishing, or making turkey calls in my garage while other kids were watching cable or playing x box. I didnt have a cell phone till I was 18 and honestly, I could live without it. I wish the lifestlye several decades ago didnt change because man it was the good times.

Kywoodsman

What Last Strut Calls said makes me think about the high school I graduated from. I'm 18 and graduated last year, so I wasn't around for most of the times in the past most of you all are talking about. A couple of years ago I remember one of our FFA officers getting arrested for having a shotgun in his truck because he had been turkey hunting before school that morning and someone reported it. He had to go to court and was put on house arrest and everything. My dad still tells the story about how 30 years ago when he was in high school at the same school I went to he used to carry his single shot 12 gauge broke open on the back dash board in plane sight and that was no big deal. I guess things really have changed in 30 years.

savduck

PE was required curriculum in school
Your parents had to sign a release to KEEP the principle from paddling you
Cussing was only in R rated movies available on HBO. Not day time TV
Couples got married before living together
If you said a off the wall remark at Grannies house, you bit down on Irish Spring soap and the picked your own switch from the pear.
Georgia Boy

ILIKEHEVI-13

When I was a kid gas was like 40 cents a gallon and you could buy all the candy you could even think about eating for say 2 days for $1.  Those were the good days. 

lightsoutcalls

When I was a kid, the only yelling parents did at little league ball games was to cheer their child or his team on. 
Magazines at the checkout stand didn't have to be covered because the articles weren't about "how to drive him crazy in bed" or "101 new positions you just have to try".  Alfred E. Newman (Mad Magazine) was considered disrespectful.  There was no such thing as Explicit Lyrics Advisory on music.  The local newspaper and the evening news was how most people found out what was going on in the world.  I dreaded 6 pm because updates on the Vietnam war and Watergate were boring to me.
People in general were less self-absorbed.  Most cars still just had AM radios standard.  8 track tapes were all the rage.  Bell bottom jeans were on their first time around.  $100 for a pair of athletic shoes was unheard of. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Tail Feathers

Wendell touched on it.  The biggest change is the current lack of consideration for others.  Some of it may be due to all the distractions and activities people are into.  It's all about #1 and less sacrifice for the good of others.

There's still some out there, thank God, but it's shrinking daily.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!