turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

It's Starting -- I just don't feel it yet

Started by shaman, January 03, 2020, 07:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaman

Some years, the switch from deer hunting to turkey hunting just happens automatically.  In a way it already has.  I just don't feel it yet.

Back in the day, it was about this time of year that I would have to consult the rule book and see when my check had to be in so that I'd be included in the Turkey lottery. Thankfully, those days are long gone.  Nowadays, it's more of a look at the calendar. You realize it is 15 weeks to the Opener.

On New Year's Day, I finished putting up the last of the deer rifles, and put the ammo back in the cabinet.  That took all of about an hour. They all needed one last cleaning. On the way back up the stairs, I saw the black case on the shelf that holds my turkey calls.  Without giving it much thought, I brought them upstairs so that I could put them by my chair in the family room.  It just doesn't feel like season is coming yet, but I know it will when the time comes.

This morning I place an order with Shipleys for some turkey call parts. I'm going to repair my slate call that broke mid-season last year. I'm also going to build the Mooselette a nice pot call of her own.

Little by little it is coming together.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

ddturkeyhunter

In past years I would not let myself on the computer before end of february, the wait was to long till spring. But this year have plans on going to Hawaii mid march. Wife wanted to go there for her retirement and when I found out they had turkeys I said yes for sure. A lot more planing with registering gun and things, so starting early. And when I start I am checking Old Gobbler all the time. But then I might too be retiring and might have a little more extra time, and be checking in hear all the time, sorry guys.

Bowguy

Idk boys, I'm no youngster but the minute bow season is over my mind is n gobbling.

Sir-diealot

My friends have picked on me in the past because I am reading turkey related stuff in the deer blind.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

kytrkyhntr

don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Harty

I'm certainly feeling it. Spending more time on this site . Ordered some new strikers. Looking to order some new Pot calls. Trying to beat the soon to be rush

shaman

I've posted this before.  I played it in the car over lunch.

Yep, I'm starting to get in the mood.

Podcast: Wake-Up Call
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

mtns2hunt

Happy to hear everyone is getting back in the mood. Been fairly bare on this site over the past few months.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

CALLM2U

I started looking forward to turkey season at the end of May last year.  ;)

Happy

Never had to gear up for Turkey season. With deer it takes me a while to get into it. Turkeys are on the brain year round.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

1iagobblergetter

It never leaves me. They are on the brain all year long.
I guess the Apple doesn't fall far from the tree either. After my Son filled his youth and 4th season tag he looked at me and asked if i was ready for fall turkey hunting on the way back to the truck and of course everyday until it started. Then after that it's been all about spring turkey hunting,calls,guns,ammo,etc.. ;D

Gooserbat

About a week ago I had a turkey dream.   
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Crghss

Getting ready to do some scouting here in Florida. With this nice weather it's a great time too be outdoors.

Also starting to solidify plans for SD turkey trip, plane reservations, places too stay. Scoping out places to hunt with google earth.

Getting me fired up for sure.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Tail Feathers

Regular gun season closes here Sunday. 
I don't have freezer space for any more deer, but I'll be hoping for some hogs to come around so I can thin the herd.  Closing the season by being there the last evening is a longstanding tradition and I don't want to break my streak.
There is an extended muzzle loader season and youth season for two weeks, but the grandkids and I have all the meat we can handle already.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!