OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

To all the pros w “ego”

Started by Bowguy, December 08, 2019, 11:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Bowguy

Quote from: Old Gobbler on December 21, 2019, 07:58:24 AM
This may sound harsh .... your going to meet alot of people who want to shoot a wild turkey but fewer that want to hunt a wild Turkey do yourself a favor and quickly determine the difference between the two ...and put some distance between the "shooters" and anything to do with yourself

A real turkey hunter knows how to find his/her own spots and keep them secret , only a fool makes them public , writing about a hunting spot PUBLICLY on the internet, magazine publication,  or tv only makes you a bigger fool

Now let me elaborate.........I have helped countless people get into Turkey hunting , notice how I said the word "help" I learned long , long ago you are to "help " them not do EVERYTHING for them.... if they show a willingness to learn the SKILLS it takes to be a hunter that's good , if they simply want handouts like a garbage bear.....avoid them

In this day and age of communication and technology,  probably the worst thing you can do is swing the door wide open to the " lazy millenial hunters " who "internet scout" and provide them specifics on where to  clean out the woods of deer, ducks and turkeys
Amen

ArkyRidgeRunna

This may sound harsh .... your going to meet alot of people who want to shoot a wild turkey but fewer that want to hunt a wild Turkey do yourself a favor and quickly determine the difference between the two ...and put some distance between the "shooters" and anything to do with yourself

A real turkey hunter knows how to find his/her own spots and keep them secret , only a fool makes them public , writing about a hunting spot PUBLICLY on the internet, magazine publication,  or tv only makes you a bigger fool

Now let me elaborate.........I have helped countless people get into Turkey hunting , notice how I said the word "help" I learned long , long ago you are to "help " them not do EVERYTHING for them.... if they show a willingness to learn the SKILLS it takes to be a hunter that's good , if they simply want handouts like a garbage bear.....avoid them

In this day and age of communication and technology,  probably the worst thing you can do is swing the door wide open to the " lazy millenial hunters " who "internet scout" and provide them specifics on where to  clean out the woods of deer, ducks and turkeys

There might be a lot of lazy millennials out there but I can assure you there's plenty
That will walk the soles of their shoes and put in the Work.

Harty

Quote from: ArkyRidgeRunna on January 02, 2020, 05:22:10 PM

There might be a lot of lazy millennials out there but I can assure you there's plenty

Of course there are Mellennials willing to put in the time and effort. It's the Mentors responsibility to differentiate between the two. No handouts were given to me nor I to others. The Learning and mistakes(which I laugh about now) are all part of the experience IMO.

Bowguy

Quote from: Harty on January 03, 2020, 12:50:13 PM
Quote from: ArkyRidgeRunna on January 02, 2020, 05:22:10 PM

Of course there are Mellennials willing to put in the time and effort. It's the Mentors responsibility to differentiate between the two. No handouts were given to me nor I to others. The Learning and mistakes(which I laugh about now) are all part of the experience IMO.

Ain't that the truth

eggshell

I have helped a bunch and also took a few shooters. I try and stay away from the shooters anymore, but hey if one calls and ask me to go do the heavy work on his spot so he can shoot one and I've already been  tagged out for a week or two I'll go for another hunt. Make no mistake,  it's his spot and time I'm just having fun calling gobblers. Still they have to be decent people and be decent company, no arseholes.

The other side of swinging that door wide open is keeping your spot yours. Early in my turkey hunting days I mentored a lot of people and being a nice guy I usually took them right along with me to my top spots. After finding a few of them in the same spots after I taught them and getting crowded out myself I learned to keep the honey holes secure. It's not being selfish it's just learning human nature. I have to really trust someone now before they get inside access. I had one guy, I taught a lot and took to many spots. Then one day I pull into a farm to find him parked and hunting. When I run into him he jumps me and says, "what are you doing hunting my spot, I talked to Farmer Bob and he gave me exclusive permission".  I felt like I had been molested, and paybacks are a Bitch. I promptly informed all my other land owners they did not want that fool on their land and he lost more then he gained. We farmed for most of them and they weren't about to piss-off the people who made them money.