turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gobblers, grizz and other western predators

Started by RutnNStrutn, May 21, 2019, 07:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

Now that I'm retired, I plan to ramp up my traveling to hunt turkeys. For those of y'all that hunt out west, especially NW, what have been your experiences with grizzly bears, black bears, wolves, etc? Something to be worried about, or just another critter to deal with in the woods? :character0029:
I've had encounters with coyotes, Florida panthers and black bears down in Dixie, and they really aren't a concern where I've hunted. I have a ported .44 magnum wheel gun with a 4" barrel that I can carry if I'm in grizzle bear country. I figure 6 shots of a hard cast, heavy load should do the trick.
Your thoughts?  ???

Yoteduster

IMO I'd just stay out of the heavier populated grizzly areas  there's plenty of turkeys out here in the west so you don't really need to go in to those areas the rest of the predators aren't much to worry about as long as your aware of them

Hobbes

I've hunted the last 8 seasons in MT and haven't ran across the first grizzly.  But........I avoid high concentration areas.  Grizzly could be found just about anywhere in Western MT, but their concentration areas aren't really the areas that I hunt turkeys.  However, I hunt some places with the warning signs.  The most likely spot to hunt turkeys closest to a grizzly concentration in MT is probably the Kalispell to Columbia Falls area which is near Glacier Park.   Good turkey numbers but the majority of them are on private land and there are Easterns in the Flathead that were illegally transplanted years ago, so most guys from back east would probably not want to hunt thise birds anyway because they are Easterns or an Eastern hybrid.  I know that 5 or 6 years ago a turkey hunters was charged near Bigfork by sow with a cub when he stumbled on a deer they were feeding on.  He turned her with a shotgun blast. My buddy sent me grizz track photos while hunting north of there this spring near Columbia Falls.

I occasionally carry a bear spray canister in turkey season and always during archery elk.  Some guys prefer handguns (some both), but plan on drawing and hitting a bear in the head that's running full out in a few fractions of a second.  Most guys, including me, couldn't do that on their luckiest.  Have someone bounce a basketball down hill at you and see how many rounds that you can put in it.

During the spring I doubt I'd get to a handgun or spray, but would likely never drop the shotgun and pray that a load of tungsten in the face would turn the bear if it came to that.

I really wouldn't worry about it much.  Prep for it if in Western MT, WY, or ID (maybe Northeast WA), but most of your hunting won't be where it's a high probability.

RutnNStrutn

Thanks for the replies.
Guess when headed west it would be good to talk to a biologist ahead of time, and see if I'm headed into bad country.
Any other thoughts?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

guesswho

Rub sardine juice on your body before each hunt.   Works as a natural bear repellant. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

1iagobblergetter

That will make the hunting more exciting knowing you could be the hunted..

Spurs Up

From my little bit of reading it seems like attacks are mostly the result of stumbling upon and surprising a grizzly in close quarters. Accounts of recent attacks in NW Montana suggest the victims would have had no time to unholster a sidearm, let alone fire it several times. Don't know if TSS to the face would  be effective either assuming a quick and accurate shot was even possible. And, if TSS didn't do it, it would surely PISS one off.

Sardine juice might be just as effective.  Or, spray yourself down with bear spray as soon as you get out of the truck.

tomstopper

Quote from: guesswho on May 25, 2019, 05:42:26 PM
Rub sardine juice on your body before each hunt.   Works as a natural bear repellant.
LMAO

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

tal

Rattlesnakes, copperheads, cottonmouths, ca-yotes, bobcats, and now I need to worry about a grizzly... LOL. A tip of my hat sir.... LMAO

land cruiser

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I live in pnw and hunted both bears:browns and blackies. They do share habitat, but get a tag and you won't see any:)

Do carry that pistol.

tal

I'm buying a tag first thing. And I live in KY. LOL. Safety first is my motto

Yoder409

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on May 25, 2019, 05:46:19 PM
That will make the hunting more exciting knowing you could be the hunted..

It don't work that way for me.

I get antsy when I'm hunting areas that have a lot of cats.  Never hunted grizz country.  But a big cat could be on you in close quarters and/rugged terrain a lot quicker and stealthier, I think, than a bear.

As far as defense...............the .44 wheelgun would make me feel a LITTLE more comfortable.  But figure if the SHTF, you need to put the first one outta your turkey gun in a charging bear's eyes/face and the next 2 down its throat.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

owlhoot

Now who wouldn't be worried after reading posts from this bunch :help: :help:

Hobbes

As far as MT goes, the biggest majority of turkeys are not in grizzly country.  I'm sure it was in jest, but there currently are no grizz tags in the lower 48.  If there ever is, it won't be spring.  There are spring black bear tags in many states including MT.  A pheasant hunter did kill a sow grizzly with a shotgun a couple years ago near Choteau that charged him and a buddy after chasing his dog from the willows.  He shot the first over her to try and stop the charge and the second at her.  FWP came in after the fact and found her dead.  A Google search should find the incident. The pheasant hunter was lucky.  I'd assume that at best he was shooting lead 4s.

I rarely give mountain lions much thought but they are located across the West.  However, if you think you'll have more time to respond to a grizzly charge, you probably should look at some data.  A lion may be quieter, but a lot of grizz attacks happen in close quarters with very little response time.

Just avoid high concentration areas around Yellowstone and Glacier and grizzly will be unlikely.  In addition, turkeys are unlikely in the highest concentration areas.  Research how to react to a grizzly encounter.  MT FWP recently released some good info.

I've two co-workers and one's brother were charged three times consecutively by a sow that they surprised in North if Yellowstone while packing in for a goat hunt.  They probably would have been justified in killing her, but did not.  They did try to hit her with spray on the last and closest charge.  I'll only hunt that region if I ever draw a goat tag.