OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobblers, grizz and other western predators

Started by RutnNStrutn, May 21, 2019, 07:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadly

Good luck where ever you go.  Here in Iowa the only thing we have to be concerned about are ticks.  Oh and turkeys.  They get really big here. 

1iagobblergetter

Now you have a reason to spend $10 a shell on Tss...

fallhnt

You won't shoot all 6 rounds if charged.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

howl

Oh, boy! A bear thread! Just hunt where they ain't.

But for entertainment purposes let's talk bear guns. .44mag ain't really enough for big browns, but all lower 48 aren't big like those AK bears. You really want a big rifle for those big ones. Bearbspray has a good record on brown bears anyway.

Lower 48 bears, I think a load of T2s in the second barrel of a double would be your better bet over a revolver. You'd likely already have the shotgun to hand. Most of us are better and faster shots with a shotgun than handgun. I shoot my handguns fairly regularly and I know I'm much faster with a shotgun.

fallhnt

Could be a shot size reg. so T2 may not be an option. AK coastal grizz do get bigger than inland or lower 48.

Happy

I would just hunt with a buddy. And I would make sure that buddy was fat and slow off the starting block.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

tal

LOL... a fat, slow buddy. That and a bear tag guaranteeing  you don't see any. Reminds me of the joke of the guy stopping to tie his shoes

owlhoot

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on May 25, 2019, 05:34:39 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Guess when headed west it would be good to talk to a biologist ahead of time, and see if I'm headed into bad country.
Any other thoughts?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I would bet they won't tell you about BIGFOOT.
Heard they like the best turkey hunting areas too ;D

Rapscallion Vermilion

I got snuck up on by a cat while turkey hunting here in southern New Mexico some years ago.  It never made a sound.  Saw something move in my peripheral vision just a couple feet off my left shoulder.  Turned my body to look and it and shot out of there so fast behind me that all I saw was the general shape and a tawny blur.  It wasn't big enough to be a full grown mountain lion, and it looked too big to be a bobcat.  Same trip a half mile away my buddy saw a mountain lion.

GobbleNut

My advice is to just not hunt in a thunderstorm.  You are about a jillion times more likely to get killed by lightning than you are to get attacked by one of the big predators.   ;D

Spurs Up

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 29, 2019, 10:30:08 AM
My advice is to just not hunt in a thunderstorm.  You are about a jillion times more likely to get killed by lightning than you are to get attacked by one of the big predators.   ;D

I think that's known as the ole sheer size fallacy ;).  No matter, I try to manage risks for both.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: guesswho on May 25, 2019, 05:42:26 PM
Rub sardine juice on your body before each hunt.   Works as a natural bear repellant. 
Thanks Ronnie!!! I knew I could count on you!! ;D

Quote from: owlhoot on May 28, 2019, 05:41:52 PM
Now who wouldn't be worried after reading posts from this bunch :help: :help:
No doubt!! :icon_thumright:

Quote from: Hobbes on May 28, 2019, 07:49:02 PM
As far as MT goes, the biggest majority of turkeys are not in grizzly country. Just avoid high concentration areas around Yellowstone and Glacier and grizzly will be unlikely.  In addition, turkeys are unlikely in the highest concentration areas.  Research how to react to a grizzly encounter.
Good advice Hobbes! Thanks!! :icon_thumright:

Quote from: howl on May 29, 2019, 06:57:36 AM.44mag ain't really enough for big browns. You really want a big rifle for those big ones. Bearbspray has a good record on brown bears anyway.
The reason I mentioned a .44 mag is because that's what I already have. Plus I don't have a double barrel, and .454 Casull's or .50 S&W are expensive, big and heavy. Probably go with the .44 with quality hard cast load and some bear spray.

Quote from: Happy on May 29, 2019, 07:09:55 AM
I would just hunt with a buddy. And I would make sure that buddy was fat and slow off the starting block.
Perfect!!! :icon_thumright: :TooFunny:

Quote from: owlhoot on May 29, 2019, 09:38:33 AMI would bet they won't tell you about BIGFOOT. Heard they like the best turkey hunting areas too ;D
I ain't skeered of no Bigfoots!! I'm from Florida, and we have skunk apes down here!! ;D

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 29, 2019, 10:30:08 AM
Don't I know that!! Came close to getting sizzled many times hunting in FLA, and once in OK.

fallhnt

You're gonna need a bigger gun.

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

deadbuck

If I ever get a chance to be where grizzlies are thought to inhabit, I will be carrying a snub nose Ruger in 454 Casull double action in my right hand at all times. There will be no reaching for it, it will be point and fire. If he can get on me before I can point and pull well that is just going to be the way I go down.