turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Egg eaters

Started by LaLongbeard, April 23, 2019, 07:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaLongbeard

Last few days I've seen hens going into or leaving a cutover, no doubt they have nests in the brush.
I was slipping around the cutover to get to a hardwood creek bottom and this sow and her piglets walked by. I usually carry a couple cheap shells for snakes and pigs but I didn't have time to switch so spent about 30$ getting rid of these vermin. Worth the money but didn't even make a dent. Third group of hogs I've seen in a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

KentuckyHeadhunter

Good shooting and thank you!  In GA the hogs don't damage the nest quite as much as coons, possums, foxes and yotes. Snakes too.  Gotta kill those hogs though.  And they are mighty tasty!  I hate pigs worse during deer season. My #6 lbxr won't do enough damage anyway.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Marc

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on April 23, 2019, 07:28:28 PM
Good shooting and thank you!  In GA the hogs don't damage the nest quite as much as coons, possums, foxes and yotes.
I have actually read some interesting studies on coyotes...

Generally coyotes are not egg eaters, but they are generally good at controlling fox, opossum, and raccoon populations, and to some degree even skunk populations.  And bobcats do not like them either.

Furthermore, coyotes eat a lot of squirrels and rabbits which compete with upland species (including turkey) for food.

I know that coyotes eat turkeys, cause I have called in too many yotes to a turkey call...  But I still wonder if they sometimes are not more beneficial to have around than harmful?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

KentuckyHeadhunter

We have multiple pictures of coyotes raiding nests from over the years on trail cameras.  And yes I forgot to mention skunks too.  Predator "control", now called "predator management" is the first step.  Then comes habitat management....another conversation altogether.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

zelmo1

Egg eaters are #1 on my hit list

spaightlabs

Sir-diealot

A .243 Winchester with a 55gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip makes a mess out of those white and black boogers. Just be sure you are up wind. Work well on woodchucks and Yotes too.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Ozarks Hillbilly

$30 well spent IMO

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

crow

Good shooting man, and well worth the 30.00 bucks

Spitten and drummen

Killem all and let god sortem out. Good job brother.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

LaLongbeard

Shot another sow that makes 9 I've shot in 9 days. I was kneeling down beside a tree doing some calling. I heard something walking in the pine straw and for a second thought it was a turkey...until I heard grunting. A herd of about 6-8 hogs coming right to me, dropped one shot 2 more that went down then ran off. Been loading one nitro and two Winchester #5s to save on shells lol. Can't use buckshot or I'd have killed more.

LaLongbeard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

afhunter1

I'd love to shoot some pigs but glad we don't have any yet!

I do have a longbow and love to travel.  ;) Ha ha!

joey46

Every game camera we run shows hog activity such as this.  We shoot every one we see and they still keep coming. 

LaLongbeard

We have a lot of hogs in Louisiana but you mostly see them at night or really early or late. These are out  all day and dumb as hammers. I don't think there being hunted much. I'm hoping the ones that ran off learned not to go to hen yelping