OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Egg eaters

Started by LaLongbeard, April 23, 2019, 07:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

$30 well spent. 

Pm me an I'll send you a coupon code for $30 in turkey calls
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 30, 2019, 11:13:12 PM
$30 well spent. 

Pm me an I'll send you a coupon code for $30 in turkey calls
Thanks a lot... will do
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

dublelung

Money well spent. I shoot them every time I see them. Nothing worse than someone complaining about hogs then not shooting them when they have the opportunity. Between my dad, son, and I we've killed 12-15 since turkey season opened.

For those of you wishing you had feral hogs......get your head out of your butt!

trkehunr93

Quote from: Marc on April 23, 2019, 07:34:10 PM
Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on April 23, 2019, 07:28:28 PM
Good shooting and thank you!  In GA the hogs don't damage the nest quite as much as coons, possums, foxes and yotes.
I have actually read some interesting studies on coyotes...

Generally coyotes are not egg eaters, but they are generally good at controlling fox, opossum, and raccoon populations, and to some degree even skunk populations.  And bobcats do not like them either.

Furthermore, coyotes eat a lot of squirrels and rabbits which compete with upland species (including turkey) for food.

I know that coyotes eat turkeys, cause I have called in too many yotes to a turkey call...  But I still wonder if they sometimes are not more beneficial to have around than harmful?

I agree, I've read similar articles about coyotes.  IMO here in the southeastern United States they fill a needed predatory niche thats long been vacated by eastern cougars and red wolves.  Reading a book about red wolves right now and the efforts that were made to try to reintroduce them  Coyotes can effect fawn populations but black bears can too.  We have feral hogs here in VA, relatively low numbers now, hopefully it stays that way.     

Tomfoolery

Saw a pack of about a dozen hogs on Fort Polk last weekend. Tried to get an angle on em but didn't work out.

wolfman

I'm in NC.  Found a bunch of egg shells yesterday among a pile of hen feathers.  I assume a coyote got her and her eggs.  Plenty of coyotes on camera.

cracker4112

Nice job. What a pest.  While delicious, most folks don't understand what a nuisance these things are. They are wreaking havoc on the natural systems down here in Florida, and I'm not sure that there have ever been this many.  We are on a lease that requires us to kill 150 per year, if it was 300 it would still be no problem.

That said, turkey nests don't seem to be what they are after there, the turkey population is still strong.

joey46

Went to the range this morning and double checked both my .243 and scoped 12 ga.  Really looking for this one particular coyote but any hog is living on borrowed time.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Marc on April 23, 2019, 07:34:10 PMBut I still wonder if they sometimes are not more beneficial to have around than harmful?
There is nothing beneficial about a coyote. They eat fawns, and even take down adult deer when hunting in a pack. They stalk and kill turkeys. In fact, during turkey season, I see coyotes on the prowl most mornings. They kill all kinds of small game. It wouldn't surprise me to see a yote chomp down on an egg or 6.
We shoot every yote we see. It's one of the rules of our club. Shoot a yote if you see one, regardless of if it costs you a buck or a gobbler. We also employ other methods of predator control.
In SC, where my club is, SCDNR puts one tagged coyote a year in each game zone. If you shoot one of these, you are rewarded with a free lifetime license. This encourages hunters to shoot every yote they see. That's how much of a problem coyotes have become in SC.

Sir-diealot

We have feral hogs here in NY now too. http://nyis.info/invasive_species/feral-swine/  I know of an idiot in my county that wanted to be able to have them out back behind his house. EVERYBODY came out against him it seems and I am glad to say I was one of them.

Just a question and not trying to start any trouble, are you guys eating what you are killing and if not is there something like the venison collation where you can donate the meat to feed the poor in any of these areas?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

dublelung

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 01, 2019, 08:16:40 PM
We have feral hogs here in NY now too. http://nyis.info/invasive_species/feral-swine/  I know of an idiot in my county that wanted to be able to have them out back behind his house. EVERYBODY came out against him it seems and I am glad to say I was one of them.

Just a question and not trying to start any trouble, are you guys eating what you are killing and if not is there something like the venison collation where you can donate the meat to feed the poor in any of these areas?
I put 2 or 3 hogs in the freezer each year and give away several. I also shoot plenty more and leave them where they fall with no guilt or remorse whatsoever. When you have a hog problem you worry about killing hogs. My tax dollars do plenty of feeding the needy, as well as the lazy.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: dublelung on May 01, 2019, 11:56:14 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 01, 2019, 08:16:40 PM

I also shoot plenty more and leave them where they fall with no guilt or remorse whatsoever. When you have a hog problem you worry about killing hogs. My tax dollars do plenty of feeding the needy, as well as the lazy.
Im turkey hunting not running a soup kitchen. I shoot as many as I can before they run off, finish off the wounded and move on. It's too hot to be dealing with a stinking hog miles from the truck. I'm starting a buzzard food bank.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

camotoe

. 2 came in to my decoy one went home ,#5 longboard to the head .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCSWAMPFOX

we don't have many hogs yet but they are heading my way. bear hunters in neighboring counties introduced them years ago to train hounds with.
we also shoot all yotes and bobcats as well as trapping focused those 2 species. I have been personally managing a 750 acre farm for 14 years. first year I ran a line of 12 little grizz coon traps and caught over 2 dozen that winter. now I catch about a dozen a year and feel like turkey population has tripled there due to elimination of egg eaters. also employ little grizz's on 2 other farms as well and can tell growth in turkey population there as well. I thoroughly enjoy checking lines in morning with hot coffee and .22 magnum. caught a couple of coonzilla's over the years and will try to find and post some pics.

Sir-diealot

The DEC here does not want us to shoot them, that makes no sense to me. Glad some are giving some away and I do realize what a problem there is will them and that is why I said I did not want to start an argument. When I get more deer than I can handle (Only have one small freezer that is attached to the refrigerator) then I like to donate them or give them to those I know need food so that is why I asked.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."