OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey down/Spur Question

Started by uk.turkey.hunter, April 23, 2019, 11:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uk.turkey.hunter

So this past Saturday I was able to harvest a gobbler. I was so excited. I shot him at about 30 yards. He was faced directly away from me but I shot the top of his back and tore up his head (actually did a front flip). When I got to the bird the first thing I saw was his beard. It was about 8 to 10 inches which isn't bad for an Eastern Turkey here in the state of Kentucky. Then I looked for his spurs and didn't see any. I looked at them closely and to my suprise didn't even have nubs or anything on either leg. So I then looked at his head to make sure that I shot a gobbler. He had a big ole head and at this point, I'm possivitve that shot a gobbler. But I've got a couple of questions which are, has anyone else seen this before? How in the world do you age a bird like this?

guesswho

Seen it several times.   If he has Amber colored tips on his beard he's more than likely a 2 year old.  If the tips are black, his age is nothing more than a guess.   Any pictures of him?
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

POk3s

I shot a two year old merriams last year with no spurs. Definitely a surprise!

BigSlam51

Never heard that before. I didn't know you could age a bird by his beard.
Quote from: guesswho on April 23, 2019, 12:02:14 PM
Seen it several times.   If he has Amber colored tips on his beard he's more than likely a 2 year old.  If the tips are black, his age is nothing more than a guess.   Any pictures of him?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

HookedonHooks

I killed a big MO Tom last year with nubs that didn't go past his skin. You could kid tell where the spurs were supposed to be but they just never grew in it looked like. Also heard of guys that've killed complete no spurred gobblers similar to what you're describing.

Like double beards and such I'm sure they're just a genetic thing.

uk.turkey.hunter

I do have pics of him on my phone. I'm trying to upload them now. But that's crazy that you mentioned Amber as his beard for the first inch is black then turns brown or amber then black again and then amber with black mixed in it.

I'll try to post the pics as soon as they go through from my phone to email.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: BigSlam51 on April 23, 2019, 12:06:31 PM

Lovett E. Williams, Jr. talks about it in his book "The Book of the Wild Turkey" Lotta neat stuff in that book.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

uk.turkey.hunter

Dr Juice

Congrats. A trophy none the less.

guesswho

Quote from: BigSlam51 on April 23, 2019, 12:06:31 PM

They have Amber tips until the beard gets long enough to drag the ground while feeding.  Once the ground wears away the Amber tips it becomes a guessing game.  There are exceptions like beard rot in older birds that will give off colored tips, but that's usually pretty obvious.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

guesswho

Quote from: uk.turkey.hunter on April 23, 2019, 12:15:06 PM
Here it is without any spurs.
Do you have pictures of his head and beard?
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

uk.turkey.hunter

Just got it downloaded to the computer but here it is. I really like the colors in the beard like that. I personally haven't seen that in a Tom before.

Definitely a turkey that I'm super happy about. To me it's a very unique bird. I'm going to hang his beard an legs on a painted white board with a date above it as a way to remember it by. Will always have a story about this bird. lol

SD_smith

My buddy shot a Merriams in North Dakota this year and it had no spurs. 9 inch beard and weighted 28 lbs.

guesswho

Thanks for the pictures.  Looks like you shot a bearded hen, at least a he/she. 
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

MK M GOBL

I'd do a display with the beard and legs, fan, wings and all. A unique bird for sure, yes it happens and I have killed one, wish I would have kept them....

MK M GOBL