News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey down/Spur Question

Started by uk.turkey.hunter, April 23, 2019, 11:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

Quote from: uk.turkey.hunter on April 23, 2019, 02:49:42 PM
So I've sent pictures and information to the Kentucky Fish and Wildlife to see what they have to say about it. We shall see.
I'd be interested in their reply.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

cwb04

First long-beard I ever shot here in MS had an 8 1/2" beard and not even bumps on his legs.  Called one up for a friend in TX this year - same thing.  Not even a bump.  His bird had a 10 1/2" beard.

Yours in definitely unique with the color of that beard.

I've seen a couple hermaphrodite ducks. I actually have one mounted.  Never heard of a hermaphrodite turkey, but who knows.   

uk.turkey.hunter

So this is the Kentucky Fish and Wildlife reply:

Based on your picture I would "guess" you have a bearded female turkey (unless it was gobbling).  I say this due to the complete lack of spurs (not even bumps) and due to the breast color of the feathers.  On females the breast feathers have buffy tips, males have black tips on the breast feathers.

That is just my guess.  Males can be missing spurs, although this is rare.  Females can have beards, also rare.  And to make it even more confusing you could have a bird with male and female genes/hormones that are equally expressed.

HookedonHooks

Very interesting stuff for sure.

Enlarged caruncles is correlated to a sign of testosterone in a turkey, the larger the "neck balls" are, the more testosterone they have.

Seems to be a hen that definitely had male genes and hormones.

uk.turkey.hunter

Quote from: HookedonHooks on April 23, 2019, 04:45:49 PM
Very interesting stuff for sure.

Enlarged caruncles is correlated to a sign of testosterone in a turkey, the larger the "neck balls" are, the more testosterone they have.

Seems to be a hen that definitely had male genes and hormones.

I know! This is just so crazy. I wish I had it mounted now! This is just such a unique bird.

Clydetaylor1

I asked a wildlife biologist in NC. At a wildlife meeting. He said it was not that rare.

guesswho

Quote from: Clydetaylor1 on April 23, 2019, 06:59:03 PM
I asked a wildlife biologist in NC. At a wildlife meeting. He said it was not that rare.
He may have been talking about bearded hens, which isn't that rare.   This bird may be a step above that. 
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

LaLongbeard

I shot a Gobbler in 2016 with a normal beard and fan not a hint  of a spur on either  leg no bump nothing. Haven't seen anymore so hopefully he didn't spread the defect.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

JLH

I shot one last year like that....decent beard, not real thick....but no spurs whatsoever...not even a bump.

He spent 10 mins trying to have sexy time with my hen decoy before i shot him....dont think his gender was in question.

Gooserbat

I killed one Monday that only had one spur and the one it had was loose like it wasn't attached to the bone. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

dejake

Clydetaylor1

Quote from: guesswho on April 23, 2019, 07:05:18 PM
He may have been talking about bearded hens, which isn't that rare.   This bird may be a step above that.

I'm talking about a Tom with no spurs. This Tom was boss of the group. He was fighting and strutting.

zelmo1

guesswho

I'm talking about a Tom with no spurs. This Tom was boss of the group. He was fighting and strutting.

Got it.   I'm sure he's knows more than I do, but based on my past experience I would consider a totally spurless gobbler a bit of an oddity.  I've only seen a handful in over 50 years including what myself, friends and family have killed.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff