OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Gave the turkeys a break last week...  (Read 2011 times)

Offline nr123

Gave the turkeys a break last week...
« on: April 18, 2019, 07:22:30 PM »
after my nephew called about seeing coyotes  almost everyday on the farm he manages.  He even shot at one coyote and discovered it had just torn up a turkey nest.  So, on Friday night, I took my coyote gear, complete with Foxpro and thermal scope and scanner.  First set up, we had a coyote running in across a big field within 3-4 minutes.  He became our first victim, I shot him with my 6.5 Grendel. 
Second stand was blank.  Third stand, we had about 8 deer in the field.  I tried several calls,  deer barely  reacted to the sounds.  I tried my "go to" last resort sound, and the deer ran out of the field.  Almost the same time, two coyotes came running over the top of a hill.  I shot the closest one, maybe 75 yds, killed him and swung around on his mate, running mach 1 across the far field.  Pulled out in front of it's nose, and rolled it, approx 125 yds.
Talley for the night, two males and one female.  Have to think we may have saved some turkeys and fawns.  My best night hunting ever.