Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Big Big Turkeys with a touch of Deliverance

Started by imp, April 22, 2013, 03:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imp

Some times I feel really blessed living where I do. I know that I am very lucky to be here in the Mother Lode of NorCal. We have great weather beautiful scenery and abundant wildlife such as Turkeys, Deer, Bobcats, Foxes, Bears, Mountain Lions, the list goes on and on. Anyways I was at my new favorite spot on BLM land doing a little hunting but was having no luck. SO, about midday I decided to go check out another place not to far away. Its an old mine road that is nothing more than dirt for about 5 miles, very thick brush and Forest. I had seen a couple hens right off the road, and as I would drive along they would dive into the brush, so I decided to stop and try out my new Haint Gobble call. I found a wide spot, got out and quietly walked down the road about a quarter mile or so. Thats where I decided to do my best attempt at gobbling. After three or four calls I stood there listening for any kind of response. Nothing. Wait, shhhh, I hear something in the brush. All of a sudden about 25 yards down the road 3 of the biggest turkeys you ever did see came busting through the brush turned up the road and headed straight for me at a dead run. These birds were big, at least 50-60 lbs each. Then all of a sudden right from the same place in the brush was another crash and out burst some kid with a stick. Holy! Whats going on? Well on second look, turns out these weren't Turkeys. They were baby Emus that had escaped off the kids farm, he had been chasing them for 4 hours and was tired as hell. I gave him a hand and we herded them back to his place about a mile or so back the way I had come. I had seen his place when I turned up the road, but figured it to be abandoned, a true tar paper shack. Nice kid, but he could definitely benefit by seeing a dentist. Guess I will look for a place with more normal sized birds.
"well, other than the occasional proffer of wisdom or sound advice, mostly my job is to walk around and animadvert the
situational happenings."

tomstopper

mattbrooks

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

boomer

mikejd

okslayrio

trackerbucky

Was there any banjo music?   :TooFunny:

Thanks for sharing.
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

WillH

WV Ridge Reaper

So I wanna know...Who made who squeal like a pig ? Haha.

True story,few weeks ago I was out in bfe which is a lot of places here..Old back dirt road,typical around here.

I see this house way down in this field and some old clunkers sitting around,cows etc like I said your typical WV place.

I was looking for land to hunt,so I drive down..whole time the gf is telling me I am crazy and I'm going to get shot.

Get down park the truck and had to walk into the house due to it being blocked off by fence for cattle.

This old scrubby man comes out I said looks like some good turkey country back in here,I was wondering who owned this.

I do he replied...I said well im looking for a place to spring gobbler hunt.

He kinda stood there for a second and said well I don't know where to tell you to go.

Right then and there I thought to myself well this is going great..I asked if I could hunt and he said people already had permission.

I walked back to the truck,head held low petting the old coon dog as he walked beside me.