OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Browning Cynergy Ultimate Turkey (the over/under) 24" barrel w/ Sumtoy .665  (Read 44980 times)

Offline Magdump

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
I recently asked William to make me the tightest choke possible for #9 TSS and so he built me a .665 choke.

Here are the patterns at 20, 40, 50, and 60 yards.

I don't believe blasting birds at distance is something we should try to do or strive for.  Like most of you, I work hard to get them at 20 yards or closer.  Still, I am intrigued by what science and the latest design/component innovations can be capable of and so I tested at extended range.

My testing confirms what many of you have said, that TSS likes a more open choke.  Compared to the Jebs .660 (see my other thread) the .665 was a significant performace improvement in terms of increased pattern density.  Still, I have very little room for error at 20 yards (and the head is probably going to come off if I do hit it) and 60 is probably too far.

My top barrel has the spreader choke and that is only good to 15 yards and that is pushing it.  It really lives up to its name!  So 20 yards is too far for the spreader choke in the top barrel and too close for the .665 in the bottom barrel.  So the .665 is perhaps a bit impractical.  Anyway, enough jibber jabber, here are the results:

20 Yards

40 Yards

50 Yards

60 Yards

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 08:15:30 PM by Magdump »

Offline altrkyaddict12

how was the poi on the cynergy with both barrels?

Offline Magdump

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
I zero'd the dot for the long distance (lower) barrel/choke and luckily, the top barrel with the spreader choke hits to the same POI.

Offline altrkyaddict12

im picking up my cynergy tomorrow gonna put either vortex venom on mine or a leupold delta pro so interesting to see how it turns an how the poi is for both barrels did you ever find any sling mounts to work with the cynergy

Offline Magdump

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
Never did get around to fitting a sling to it yet.  It is fine without one but it would be handy.

Let us know how your new Cynergy shoots! 

Offline altrkyaddict12

how much difference is the recoil between 3 in to 3 1/2 in tss loads?

Offline Magdump

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
No idea.  Never shot a 3 1/2 before.  I just use 3" or 2 3/4.  Can the Cynergy take 3 1/2"?

Offline altrkyaddict12

the ultimate turkey version i know can an im almost 99% sure the others one can as well why i ask is how is the recoil with the different loads

Online SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
you bring this up.  We tested a 665 and 675 with some long beards not tss I know lol but should be same.    The 675 gave higher numbers in the 10 but was not and even as the 665.    I think it is a double edge sword
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline Magdump

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
You do great work William!  Thanks again!

Off Topic but...I am going to send you my Contender .410 barrel to work on during the "off season" so it is ready for Hawaii next March! 

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
Magdump: would you out a pic of the gun on here? and, how did you mount the dot to the gun? Thanks

Offline Ontario_caller

Never did get around to fitting a sling to it yet.  It is fine without one but it would be handy.

Let us know how your new Cynergy shoots!

I just finished out my 3rd season with mine, I thought initially I would miss the sling as all of my other turkey guns have one.
I found that having it broken and over your shoulder while holding the barrels to be even better than a sling. Super safe, very low ride with nothing to catch on brush etc. Very comfortable and easy to close quietly when you get on a bird or take up a calling location. Very handy.
I don’t miss the sling one bit now.
This gun has accounted for 6 birds now and the short and close range choke option is the real deal.
These Cynergy guns really are the ultimate turkey guns. All bases covered.

There He IS !

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Do they make the turkey model in 20g ?

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
how much difference is the recoil between 3 in to 3 1/2 in tss loads?

I have the Citori 12 ga 3 1/2 model and shot a turkey with a 3 1/2 Magnum blend once and the gun jumped out of my hands and landed beside me on the ground. The turkey was dead. I no longer shoot 3 1/2 inch shells for any reason since 3 inch TSS came along.

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
the ultimate turkey version i know can an im almost 99% sure the others one can as well why i ask is how is the recoil with the different loads
No idea.  Never shot a 3 1/2 before.  I just use 3" or 2 3/4.  Can the Cynergy take 3 1/2"?

The Ultimate Turkey does take 3 1/2 inch. I have this gun, it handles the heavy loads real well, the recoil pad system is quite good. Less felt recoil than most guns....good luck..
“Solo hunter”