Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How much do you spend on turkey licenses?

Started by bghunter777, March 15, 2019, 09:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bghunter777

Curious what we all spend to hunt turkeys on just license. This year I will be hunting Kentucky / Ohio as a non res and maybe Pa then IN as a resident. Sitting around $500 possibly $650 if I go to Pa.

HookedonHooks

It definitely starts adding up when you start adding nonresident tags.

My two birds in MO are $17, my two in KS are around $70, and then $100 per nonresident tag in NE (up to 3), but usually do just two.

Looking into a 3-day or week long temporary with a turkey tag for CO and it's about $200 for nonresident.

If I do add IA to the list year still, it'll be in the $650-$700 range.

TauntoHawk

Not enough, time is the issue for me each spring.

I already have my PA and MD tags from deer season so OH would be the only one I have to buy yet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Spurs

This year will be OH, PA, and WV.  After several calls and searching (as an OOS) I have came up with these totals:

OH
$210.08

PA
$143.80

WV
$164.00

Again, all of these are non-resident.  The best part of being a pipeliner is the ability to go state-to-state while on the clock.  If I would have been smarter last year, I would have purchased the OH resident lifetime.
This year is going to suck!!!

zelmo1

I usually do Maine and NH, that is around $200

GobbleNut

I usually try to hunt three or four states each spring nowadays and the cost for licenses is roughly $500 total.  I also have a couple of other draw tags I am awaiting results on that will cost me another $500 if I draw both.  I could also go to Mexico for a couple of Gould's this spring if I wanted to, which would cost another couple of thousand, but I doubt that will happen.

No doubt, it can add up, but at the same time I know folks that will spend $10,000 on a week or two vacation in some exotic place and do nothing more than look at sights while mingling with thousands of other people,....or lay on some beach somewhere and get sunburned.  If I had $10,000 bucks to spend like that, I would be turkey hunting for three months and buying every license I could fit in during that time!

...Some folks just don't have their priorities in order!   ;D :toothy12:

Big Jeremy

No new incurred costs each year for me. Bought my Tennessee lifetime license about 10 years ago. It was a chunk at the time ($1700), but I haven't had to spend $140 each year for a sportsman's license that covers everything since. I saved birthday and Christmas money, and put about $15-$20 away a week to save it up.

Every now and then, I will buy an Alabama license, but I usually choose not to give them my money. I have family land IN MY NAME, but since I'm not a resident, I can't hunt as landowner. That irks me. I don't understand why I'd need to pay over $300 to hunt on my own land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

POk3s

This year Iowa was the killer. Having to buy the hunting license plus the stamps with the turkey license came out to $274 I think. Add in two tags in Montana at $145 for the first one, and then $115 for the second one we're up to $534. Wyoming resident tag is pennies compared to that, then Nebraska at $100 a pop if I have time.

I try and offset the cost of tags by staying in a tent or camper, having all my meals packed and really being pretty cheap while actually on the hunt. Some coffee at a gas station or a celebratory breakfast at one of the local cafes, along with maybe a dinner when the night is cold or windy is about as crazy as I get while on the trips.

mathews8pt

TN and KY as a non-resident will cost me about $450 I believe.  Ohio is $24 a bird plus the license i buy every year anyhow. 

LaLongbeard

Home about 35$ out of state varies but usually 6-800.00$ I only hunt public land and camp so even with gas money it's way cheaper to hunt 3-4 states than one guided  hunt.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Spurs

Quote from: Big Jeremy on March 15, 2019, 09:46:44 AM
No new incurred costs each year for me. Bought my Tennessee lifetime license about 10 years ago. It was a chunk at the time ($1700), but I haven't had to spend $140 each year for a sportsman's license that covers everything since. I saved birthday and Christmas money, and put about $15-$20 away a week to save it up.

Every now and then, I will buy an Alabama license, but I usually choose not to give them my money. I have family land IN MY NAME, but since I'm not a resident, I can't hunt as landowner. That irks me. I don't understand why I'd need to pay over $300 to hunt on my own land.

While I totally understand landowners not wanting to pay, they don't own the wildlife.  I own land myself and am totally accepting as long as the money is redistributed imo wildlife enhancement.
This year is going to suck!!!

Big Jeremy

Quote from: Spurs on March 15, 2019, 12:23:01 PM
Quote from: Big Jeremy on March 15, 2019, 09:46:44 AM

While I totally understand landowners not wanting to pay, they don't own the wildlife.  I own land myself and am totally accepting as long as the money is redistributed imo wildlife enhancement.
I agree that you should have to pay something, I just don't believe that a landowner should have to pay full non-resident prices. A "non-resident landowner" option would be a good one, I think.

fallhnt

300-500...the going rate is ~100.00 per bird for nonresidents.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

fallhnt

Quote from: HookedonHooks on March 15, 2019, 09:13:09 AM
It definitely starts adding up when you start adding nonresident tags.

My two birds in MO are $17, my two in KS are around $70, and then $100 per nonresident tag in NE (up to 3), but usually do just two.

Looking into a 3-day or week long temporary with a turkey tag for CO and it's about $200 for nonresident.

If I do add IA to the list year still, it'll be in the $650-$700 range.
You left out license cost in KS. +130.00ish

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy