OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

If turkeys didn’t gobble would you hunt them?

Started by Planner, March 14, 2019, 01:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squidd

Probably why I don't hunt them in the fall but am sure would still try

turkey_picker

wally243

Likely not. Nothing gets the motor revving like a gobbler!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shaman

I have a dear friend that served as an Israeli Paratrooper.  She used to use the phrase "If my mother had wheels, she'd be a dump truck."   It denoted a what-if scenario that was so outside reality as to be absurd.

However, I'll make a stab at this one.

1)  If turkeys did not call-- if gobblers didn't gobble-- then I would have probably given up after my first hunting trip.  I went out on my first excursion, ripped off a turkey yelp at first light, and immediately got an answering gobble. That hooked me for life.  Without that gobble, I'd be sitting on the couch in April.

2)  If turkeys did not gobble and hens not yelp, and if the hen call was not easily reproducible, then the modern sport of turkey hunting would have been a non-starter.  The whole point of the thing is calling turkeys into calls. 

3)  If the modern sport of turkey hunting did not exist, then I do not know if turkeys would have ever been brought back from near-extinction.   

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

G squared 23

Turkeys around me rarely gobble after fly-down, they normally sneak in the majority of the time.  I usually wait them out in a high traffice area. 

Now if our birds gobbled MORE, especially to calls after fly down, I would probably hunt them more.

a_jabbo

I don't think I would. The excitement of the gobble is what gets us all out there. Even those that have said they've killed birds that don't gobble at all, they're still out there waiting to hear that gobbling sound off in the distance. Hearing a thunderous gobble at day break really gets the heart pumpin'.

fallhnt

Quote from: Tom Threetoes on March 16, 2019, 09:12:58 PM
I don't fall hunt because they don't gobble.
LOL

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

fallhnt

Man,you guys that think a turkey only gobbles in the Spring need to get outside more often. Not only do they gobble, they strut and spit n drum too. I guess it's part of communication. Nothing better than being in the woods in the Fall turkey hunting. A few Fall longbeards. All but my late afternoon Fall hunt in the cornfield were better than Spring. Fighting, strutting and yes gobbling were all part of those hunts. Best part is,it was real turkey calling. Bird to bird. In other words you need to sound like a longbeard, not some hen that yelps three times every 20 to 30 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

mduncan

I don't think i would. The gobbling is what it's all about for me.

JMalin

Nope.  I'd shift my focus back to bass fishing.

tree-rat sniper

NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!

shemp

I would about trade a good day of gobbling birds with no shot...for a quiet day with a successful harvest

I LOVE the gobbling some day would like to hunt in an area devoid of palmettos and humidity so I could hear more of it

I am super stoked that this season in FLA I've gotten on vocal birds 4 out of 6 days. Opening weekend had wretched weather but I called in some very vocal hens and had drumming going on.  Was very excited / satisfied with the results until late morning non-hunting land users unknowingly blew my setup.

JMalin

Quote from: shemp on April 04, 2019, 10:09:15 AM
I would about trade a good day of gobbling birds with no shot...for a quiet day with a successful harvest

I LOVE the gobbling some day would like to hunt in an area devoid of palmettos and humidity so I could hear more of it

I am super stoked that this season in FLA I've gotten on vocal birds 4 out of 6 days. Opening weekend had wretched weather but I called in some very vocal hens and had drumming going on.  Was very excited / satisfied with the results until late morning non-hunting land users unknowingly blew my setup.

Sounds like you need to do a mountain merriam hunt.