OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

If turkeys didn’t gobble would you hunt them?

Started by Planner, March 14, 2019, 01:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Planner

I was reading another thread and it got me thinking... if turkey's didn't gobble, would I hunt them?? I cut my teeth in SC and now hunt in Texas where I'm very blessed to hunt the very vocal Rio. Part of what I love most is listening to their thunderous and contagious gobbles echo through the live oak lined dry creek beds. As they move about their routines their gobbles build the excitement of the hunt as we play the game.... absent that, I think it wouldn't be nearly as fun. What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

wvboy

Thankfully they do.. cause I'm just not sure that I would..

I know I have no interest in hunting the Oscellated because of that.
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

dirt road ninja

THattaway

The fact that you hunted in SC makes you appreciate a bird that free gobbles.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

longspur

Quote from: dirt road ninja on March 14, 2019, 01:51:19 PM
I do that now. No gobbling SOB's.

I hear you. I do to. I love to hear them gobble as much as anyone. Gets my blood pumping. But when they are silent and I'm able to call them up its an unbelievable Adrenaline rush when I see that red head sneaking through the woods. Never know where he will come from so you can't have your gun already pointed at him. The game ain't over yet. Love it.

Deputy 14

zelmo1

Don't blaspheme.  :funnyturkey: I probably wouldn't either. I love that music

Divenut2

Yes Sir! Heck, half the toms I shot never made a sound. They just kinda snuck up on me :funnyturkey:
Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

Turkeyman

If they didn't gobble, perhaps, if they were still prone to being called in. If they didn't acknowledge a call then you'd be nothing more than a bushwhacker and I probably wouldn't bother.

Gobble!

If they stopped tomorrow I'd still hunt them but it would take some of the excitement out of it. Not sure I ever would have got into it if they didn't.

yelpaholic

bghunter777

Yes, but probably with not nearly as much passion / additction

TauntoHawk

No I probably would not.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

guesswho

No.  And I wish they would quit so I could stop
Hunting them
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff