OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

An different take on HTL and TSS

Started by Yoder409, March 11, 2019, 10:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

From another thread:

Quote from: FullfanYou will be impressed want that lil #9 shot will do to a gobbler at 40 yards

Didn't wanna hijack the other discussion, so.........

Was talking to my taxidermist last week about how many years payment it's gonna take for.me to square up for.my 2018 spring season......  :/

Anyhow.........he was semi singing the blues over how labor intensive and time consuming it is to repair/salvage birds that have been shot with HTL shot and the TSS 8's and 9's in particular.  There are so many pellets and most times the majority of them leave an entrance AND an exit hole......   He said it is a painstaking and expensive process to mount them.

Just a random, passing thought if you're gonna be taking a trip of a lifetime and hoping to bring back precious trophies for mounting.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Snood Life

Never thought about that. But I could only imagine how TSS could be a taxidermist's worst nightmare.

Deputy 14

That's really interesting. Never gave it much thought. I shoot lead anymore so I don't guess I need to worry too much about it.
On a side note it seems to me there would be a lot less work dealing with a lot of tiny #9 holes rather than some lead #4 or #5 cannon ball holes.

Gooserbat

Well since I only saw off the spurs and stuff the beard in a beer mug I guess it's of no consequence how much tissue is gone.   
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Fullfan

The last time I checked a local taxidermist here wanted 570.00 to mount a bird. Don't think they have any room to complain with a price like that. Maybe he should find another way to make his living.
Don't gobble at me...

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Fullfan on March 12, 2019, 07:39:17 AM
The last time I checked a local taxidermist here wanted 570.00 to mount a bird. Don't think they have any room to complain with a price like that. Maybe he should find another way to make his living.
Was 750 here 3 years ago.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Gobble!

Giving them away at that price, assuming they are good quality.

Spitten and drummen

My taxi never complains. He is well compensted for his troubles.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

tracker#1

My taxidermist uses the synthetic heads and they look awesome....

Fullfan

Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 12, 2019, 07:43:55 AM
Was 750 here 3 years ago.

Ouch  the last bird I was going to have become a dust collector was a public land stud with 1.5 daggers. I just could not bring myself to spend that kind of money. 750.00 is just crazy..
Don't gobble at me...

Bowguy

Maybe you should actually know what's involved. An I damaged bird for a bunch more than that isn't worth doing. Imo turkey are a great bargain.  No wonder so many mounts are bugged eyed, pointy nosed on  mammals, etc. Fellas are trying to make money n rushing. I'd rather not do anything for cheaper than I need to
Maybe you should do what gooserbat does if you think 570 is too high? Or...
Maybe you can try mounting one n see what's involved??

Bowguy

Quote from: Gobble! on March 12, 2019, 07:48:28 AM

Giving them away at that price, assuming they are good quality.
They can't be good quality unless he saves money by not eating or paying rent

KentuckyLB

My local Taxidermist charges $550.00 for a full mount. Now this is in Kentucky not sure if varies by state or something but they look good to me the few I have seen done.

longspur

Are these full strut mounts? Would it make a difference?

dejake

What most people think looks good are actually pretty bad.  If a taxidermist only wanted $570, I'd walk away.