OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

An different take on HTL and TSS

Started by Yoder409, March 11, 2019, 10:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumby

Quote from: dejake on March 12, 2019, 02:45:22 PM
What most people think looks good are actually pretty bad.  If a taxidermist only wanted $570, I'd walk away.

This

TauntoHawk

priced out a quality taxi last year and the price was $850-950 with the habitat i wanted.. cut the spurs and legs off and bought a bow. one of these days i'll shoot a bird deserving of the price
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

SinGin

My taxidermist uses free dried heads. Don't know if it adds to the cost. And the guy he buys them from will buy the head, spurs and wings for $17.00 and that will pay for a Mo residents tag

Yoder409

Wasn't looking to start a taxidermy spat with my post........

All I was getting at is that a man who has held the title of "Best Overall Taxidermist in the State".......a man who owns and teaches a certified taxidermy school.......told me that the new technology coming along is making his job harder and cost more.   Just food for thought if a guy has his heart set on having a bird.of a lifetime mounted.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Boykin Hollow

My taxidermist uses the actual head and he sends it off to have it freeze dried.  He does great work at $600 a bird.

Tom Foolery

I figure if it's the bird of a lifetime or hunt of a lifetime ammo or the cost of taxidermy is not high on the list of worries. 

LaLongbeard

Never shot a Gobbler with TSS but the ones I've seen are not torn up nearly as bad as the ones I've shot with #5s ,the head is most times barley hanging on and shredded. The TSS was not even really bloody just bunches of small holes. I can guarantee you can't carry one I've shot by the head or neck and I see people carrying TSS shot birds with a strap around the head and feet sling over there back. I would think taxidermist would rather a bunch of small holes vs torn up heads
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Bowguy

Quote from: dejake on March 12, 2019, 02:45:22 PM
What most people think looks good are actually pretty bad.  If a taxidermist only wanted $570, I'd walk away.
That's a fact.

treein dixie

Dang y'all getting some deals on mounts

I called around two weeks ago and they wanting $1050-$1250 a bird

About decided guess I'll never own one!!

jrinny

I am surprised at the wide range of prices for taxidermy work. But-to the topic of damage by HTL or TSS loads- I think that besides traditional lead loads- it seems there may be something to it. I shot a bird last year at 20 yards with long beard 5's and it was not pretty. Winchester has longbeards, Federal uses the flight control wad, and hevi and tss loads pattern tighter than traditional lead loads.  They all will make it ugly on a gobbler at close range. With today's loads and chokes- lethal ranges might increase but the close range shots can be ugly.