turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Can’t hear drumming?

Started by tjh24, March 04, 2019, 10:08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjh24

I've come to realize... I can't hear drumming.  I'm not sure why, but I can't. I have no problem hearing anything else, but maybe it's the low frequency I struggle with. I'm 33, so it shouldn't be from old age????.  I can hear the initial spit, but nothing after that. I've watched videos with sound all the way up but still can't hear it. Any one else have this problem?

snapper1982

i cant hardly hear an ohio bird drum but i can hear it n ky and tn

cwb04

I've never been able to hear it.  I've been told it's the frequency.  I actually feel cheated as that's the only part of turkey hunting that I've never experienced.  I also feel like it has probably cost me some turkeys over the years.

What really make me mad is I can hear our locals around this part of the world with their thumping bass music coming from their car stereos a mile away!   

turkeyfoot

Boy that sucks as bout as excited as you'll see me is when I hear spittin and drumming

Happy

Some people just cannot hear a certain frequency well. I have sat right beside guys in hearing tests and it would suprise you what some people can pick up while others cant. And this isn't factoring in hearing damage. I have tinnitus from to much heavy machinery and loud music but I can still usually pick up drumming.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

longspur

I have pretty severe Hearing loss but it's mostly high frequency. Still I can't hear drumming. I've hunted with people who killed birds and said they heard him drumming. Helped my brother kill his first Tom, when we first saw him he was at least 80 yds. My brother heard him drumming before we saw him. Like you I can't hear recordings either. Hearing aids turned all the way up and volume turned up, I hear the spit and that's all.

ILHUNTER

I know several people that can't hear it, boy are you missing out, lol.  It is the frequency of it from what I hear, some people just can't hear it.  Luckily I can it is an awesome feeling when you hear it and its like you can feel the ground vibrating also.

tjh24

Well im glad its not just me! But... I am sad I cant hear it.  I think its Cuz that says that gets him the most excited, and a lot of guys say that.  But I do love to hear them gobble, so I guess thats all I'll ever get!

shaman

I thought I couldn't hear it, because I'd only heard recordings of it.  Then one Opening Day, I was sitting with my back to a tree. I'd heard nothing since the start of legal hunting, except for one lone gobble way back over my left shoulder.

At first, I remarked to my self: "Gee, the Guard is up early this morning."  The National Guard will sometimes fly over in their big Sikorskys, and you can feel it long before you actually hear or see the helicopters.  Then it happened again, and this time I heard the "Pfffffft!" on the end. 

Sure enough the gob that had given me that one gobble had pitched down and run 300 yards over to me and was walking past me at a distance of about 5 yards.  He had the briefest hint of knowing he'd been had before I blasted him.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

guesswho

I'm lucky.  I can hear it at extremely long distances on a quiet morning.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

stinkpickle

I heard it for several years before even realizing what it was.  I thought it was kid with his subs cranked driving down the road.

bluegill68

Could be worse with the constant ringing in my ears I hear it pretty regularly, he just rarely shows up .  :funnyturkey:

LaLongbeard

I have no problem hearing drumming, thankfully. I've killed  a few that didn't gobble but had been drumming on the limb and for a long time after flydown. The hens can hear a lot better than we can and a Gobbler  can use drumming and call hens without gobbling. I've also had several come in with out making any noise other than the spit and drum without being able to hear drumming  I wouldn't have known they were there
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

appalachianassassin

Quote from: guesswho on March 04, 2019, 11:52:20 AM
I'm lucky.  I can hear it at extremely long distances on a quiet morning.
I've got a buddy like this, he can hear it past 100yds under the right conditions. As for myself, I can hear it within 15-20 yds. I hear the spitting a good distance out.

paboxcall

I have noise-induced hearing loss, however I can hear the spit-drum when its about 40 or 50 yards out if its a quiet morning. Almost feel it as much as I hear it, and that's when the adrenaline dump happens and shakes start.

But I cannot triangulate that sound, to me its coming from everywhere.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot