OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Can’t hear drumming?

Started by tjh24, March 04, 2019, 10:08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrackeySauresRex

Only when there close and I can see em.. if it's quiet.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Spitten and drummen

Some people cannot hear but out of those , several dont realize they are hearing it. Once you hear it and focus in on it , its a sound you pick up on other hunts. I have killed several birds that never gobbled once by just picking up this sound.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Fullfan

Father in-law and I hunt together a bunch, he can not hear it. Me being able to hear it has killed a lot of gobblers for both of us.  Sure would suck not hearing it. What a rush to hear one drumming 30 minutes after he last gobbled.
Don't gobble at me...

g8rvet

I have heard it when I was younger.  I used to tell people you feel it as much as you hear it.  Now that I have hearing loss, it is gone.  I also have a hard time hearing birds that are way off and coursing them.  No problem with birds that are reasonably close though. 

Do y'all hear it on this video?  because I sure don't! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQDSrIUaQ2U
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

bbcoach

I've got a hunting buddy that has hunted turkeys for years and he says the same thing, he can't hear a gobbler drum either.  On the other hand, I'm mentoring another hunter and he heard his first one last year when I called up a bird for him.  He was tickled to death to hear the gobbling along with the spitting and drumming as the bird worked in.

THattaway

Have always had good hearing but it's usually very subtle when I hear it and it means he is close, like don't move because he is close.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Sir-diealot

I heard it for the first time last year, unfortunately I was blocking the path he was coming down and he was behind me.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

LaLongbeard

Reading a lot of these posts reminds me why it's so important to protect your hearing. If you've ever taken a young person or someone that hasn't shot a lot or worked in a loud environment it's amazing how far some people can hear a gobble or drumming.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Gooserbat

Honestly I can hear one drumming 200+ yards away in calm conditions.  My dad can't hear one 30 yards away.  I've actually located several midday bird's by hearing them drum.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

SwampChickenSC

There's no doubt that I can hear drumming but I've had a friend sitting right next to me who only heard the spitting and no drumming.  Meanwhile it sounded like a little drummer boy was banging away to my ears, pretty interesting how the frequency keeps some folks from hearing it.
"some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

guesswho

It's weird and probably not true.  But not only can I hear it, I swear sometimes I can feel it.   I get this vibrating feeling deep in my chest.  I'm either feeling the drumming, or need to go to the Doctor.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

The first I ever heard I thought someone was going down the road with the bass wide open.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

tha bugman

I was asleep in a log blind one afternoon and woke up to the sound of drumming....eased my head over the lip and there were two strutters at about 30 yards....eased back down, knocked the safety off, eased back up, and Boom!  Down goes Fraizer!   :TooFunny:  If they made an alarm clock that sounded like drumming I don't think I could stand it!

wvmntnhick

For me it's weird. Certain birds I can, others I can not. Horrible tinnitus from years of shooting w/o hearing protection. Thankful for suppressors these days as it sure takes the sound level down to a safe level. Wife and girls love it too. However, couple years ago called 2 toms in for my niece. She missed but it was the last I've heard it. First I'd actually heard it in a while. Called one in for a buddy last year. Said he heard it way before we even saw the bird. I could hear the "base" in his voice as he closed the distance and could hear him spit but that was it. To be fair though, I don't really give them much time to put on a show. Once they're in range and there's a clear shot, I let it fly. Things can go wrong in a hurry and with limited time, I'm not wasting an opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trkehunr93

I've only heard it once in 26 years of hunting and all I heard was the spit.  Didn't realize what it was at first but he kept doing it and the light bulb went off.  Needless to say I put him out of his misery.  I just don't think I hear at that frequency to hear the drum.  Recent visit to an audiologist after an ear infection confirmed my hearing deficiency.