OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Does anyone make a h20 proof boot?

Started by darron, February 25, 2019, 06:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darron

Looking for a pair of light weight turkey boots (not rubber). Looking for something that is actually waterproof where u can walk through weeds without getting your feet soaked by dew.

2eagles

And my 6 year old granddaughter wants a pet unicorn.
Unicorns and waterproof boots don't exist.
You can treat boots with silicone spray or other products, but sooner than later, your feet will get wet.

Big Jeremy

Afraid that's right. The only waterproof boot is a rubber boot. Outside of that, regularly treating with silicone is about the best you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swather

Rubber boots that don't leak are the only ones truly waterproof.

Aside from rubber boots, I'd rather have a totally leather boot treated with a natural wax product like Obenauf's than combined fabric, leather, and splithide, treated with silicon.

Gobspur

Completely agree with everybody else, there is no boot that stays waterproof.  I've had countless brands over the years, and they all fail.  Theres just no way to prevent that gortex or other liner from eventually being penetrated and failing.  I good highend leather boot, with a full rubber rand and minimal stitching, that is routinely cleaned and properly treated can make them last longer though.  Lastly, I have found that gaiters go along ways at keeping my feet dryer walking through wet grass, snow, etc.  Alot of moisture can wick down your pants and socks.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

dublelung

If you don't want to wear rubber boots then you'd be best off to treat whatever material you're wanting to wear with silicone or other water repelling spray then wear some gaiters, then prepare to still have wet feet.

darron

I guess I'll have to stay with rubber then.

ShootingABN!

Quote from: darron on February 25, 2019, 09:11:36 PM
I guess I'll have to stay with rubber then.

Yes.

However I got a pair of Rocky Snake boots 2010 in GA. Used everyday turkey hunting and bowhunting. They were waterproof up until 2017. I used and abused them. Walking in wet fields, creeks, mud. Seven years they started to leak bad. Like walking in wet grass.... So I clean them good and spray with water repellant like Scotch guard, then I heat and treat with SNOSEAL. That works well.

Danner Pronghorns all leather (not worn as much). However they are waterproof for me.

Of course the old Lacross are the bomb dot comb.

Good luck.

Mossyguy

Unfortunately so...I bought an uninsulated pair of Lacrosse Grange boots because I got tired of dealing with buying snake boots and still getting wet feet. I have a pair of Rockys that I bought last year and they are already starting to come apart.

Sir-diealot

I have had and do have leather boots that do not leak so long as you do not go higher than the top of them. Same would be true of going in water over the top of rubber boots. Never used silicon on any of them, just some Mink Oil or with the last pair Sno-Seal.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Parrot Head

My last boots I dunked in a bucket of clear deck stain/oil to help water proof.

Gobbler428

I've hunted for the last six years in a pair of Danner Pronghorns and they kept my feet dry for the first four years. I kept them clean and started using Sno Seal on them during year four and that really helped but, they still leak where the sole meets the upper so I guess its time for a new pair.

appalachianassassin

I can't keep the soles on boots for more than 3 seasons let alone keep them waterproof. Guess I need to start buying $400 dollar boots instead of $200 dollar boots.

turkey_slayer

Gotta spend the money. First off I switched to Merrell ventilators for all year hunting as long as it's not raining or snow on the ground cause they're so lightweight and my feet don't sweat and my feet thank me on those long walks. A well built leather boot want be light.

A true waterproof boot doesn't even need gortex by design. Leather boots with Norwegian welt construction. I have a 22ish year old pair of boots with thousands of miles and I can still stand in a creek up to the top of the gusset and want leak. Need another resole but still good to go. They were called in the wild made by Corcoran. I have another set that's almost brand new. Super comfortable but they're insulated. Have a pair of Zamberlan sella nw gtx rr for warm wet days.

JoeA

This year is my 2nd with a pair of outfitter series from C******. They're full leather, and so far they kept the water out from frost and heavy dew & fog laden grass. I bought cheaper boots, but I was replacing them every 2-3 years.
NWTF, SCI, DU and Half Tone Game Calls