OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What did you use to kill your first turkey with?

Started by IowaNate, April 28, 2011, 02:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonman

Keep your nose in the wind,your eyes on the skyline.

jonhaga

Rem. 870 28in barrel factory turkey choke with Win (Red) XX Shell.

ahfox16

First ever was a hen shot while grouse hunting in Virginia.  First Gobbler was during muzzleloader season about 15 years ago.  First spring gobbler was in Texas in 1994 and it was shot with a 1187 SP.

drenalinld

Quote from: cgarner1 on May 08, 2011, 08:32:38 PM
ive been hunting for 5 years on game land and haven't killed one yet but i would much rather turkey hunt that deer hunt already. ive killed 8 deer including a 155 inch 10 point

Hang in there, it took me five years for the first one and i was hunting private ground with many gobblers. When you get it, it will be worth it. For many of us, no other sport compares.

Nimrodmar10

Okay, this is one of those "best recollection" ones. I killed my first turkey on my Uncle's lease in LA (Lower Alabama) in 1966 at the age of 14. The gun was a break action Revelation (Western Auto brand) 12 ga. with a 30" full choke barrel. I got it for Christmas that past winter and it was a pretty big gun for a kid my size. The shell was a 2 3/4" "High Brass" load of #4s.  I had an old box call of some sort. I don't remember the brand but it had a leather thong run through the handle to keep it quiet.

I told the old man that lived on the lease and ran the dogs for us during deer season that I wanted to kill a turkey. He grinned and said: "Well boy, I wouldn't tell the other fellas about it, but if you'll walk down the the logging road past the cabin about 200 yards, there's another log road that turns off to the left. You just turn down that road and walk about 50 yards and a big tom will be there." Being young and full of hope I did just that. When I got just about to the spot he told me about, sure enough this big tom goes running down the road in front of me. I pull the gun up and fired at him zigzagging down the road. At the shot he took off flying  and climbed above the tree tops and started to disappear. Just before he got out of sight he turned around and started flying back toward me. By the time he got back above me I had another shell in that old goose gun and as he went over me I let him have one straight up. He crashed into the woods stone dead. We ate him for supper that night at the cabin. He had a long beard and spurs long enough to gouge my hand on the walk back to the cabin but no mention was made of measuring anything.  Talk about a proud turkey hunter......

Tail Feathers

A Remington 870 Express with Winchester 3" 5's.   28" barrel and...shoot, what's the choke that Wal Mart sold and now everyone wants one and they're no longer made? ???

Old Timer's ain't for sissies! :help:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

870supermagnum

I had to borrow someone else's gun because my brand new 870 Supermagnum's safety was LOCKED and the key was back in the truck.  Very embarrassing.   :angry9:

mikejd

It was 1994 my first season hunting turkeys. I had just bought my first friction call the nite before. (May 1st opening day NY)

call was a quaker boy slate on 1 side glass on the other. I had roosted a couple of birds the nite before and snuck in to about 50yds in

the morning i watched my bird fly down the opposite way. I thought all was gone so I began calling wouldn't you know i called in 5 toms

and 1 jake. I remember hearing how hard it was to get one of these things so the jake gave me the first good shot and thats all she

wrote 16lbs 3" beard. All with my Rem 870 black synthetic stock. Hooked for life.

NothingLeFT

I got my first gobbler with my fathers benelli super 90. have no idea what i was using for shells and choke, but when i shot him and he flipped over on to hin face, I shot him again..... just because. he wasnt moving and i wish i could remember what i was thinking, but i shot him again. double tap baby
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

HOOKS1

Winchester model 12 2 3/4 12  ga. 30" fixed full shooting high brass #6 shot, spring of 1972. 9" beard 7/8"spurs   and 17 pounds.

jfair

Quote from: drenalinld on May 10, 2011, 10:35:15 PM
Quote from: cgarner1 on May 08, 2011, 08:32:38 PM
ive been hunting for 5 years on game land and haven't killed one yet but i would much rather turkey hunt that deer hunt already. ive killed 8 deer including a 155 inch 10 point

Hang in there, it took me five years for the first one and i was hunting private ground with many gobblers. When you get it, it will be worth it. For many of us, no other sport compares.

Yep. And about the time you think you got em figured out, they throw you a curve ball.  That makes it even better.  I still get a chuckle when someone says they got turkey hunting down cold.  Just keep pluggin away.

hoyt

First spring gobbler I called in and killed was in the late to middle 60's and killed it with a 22 at about 20yds. I know I killed some before that, but can't remember exactly. That was the first one I called in....never forget that one.

2much2loud

2002 stoeger condor o/u - federal 3 inch #6 - stardot choke - right around 40 yds

magicman

My first turkey was in 2000. I used a Remington 1100 that my papa gave me when I was younger. It was a 2 3/4 with a fixed full choke. I was shooting Winchester turkey shot. I think the bird was shot at about 35 yards.

redowl

i used a 870 wingmaster 3 inch.that was back in 1971. 25 lb bird shade over 12 inch beard.biggest bird i ever killed.i was a very happy 14 year old.