OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What did you use to kill your first turkey with?

Started by IowaNate, April 28, 2011, 02:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grousec

Oh the Maxi Mag had Federal Premium #6's choked by Star Dot choke. Dropped him at 40 yards.

spur collector

original remington 870 wingmaster, 3 inch federals 4 shot.

hookedspur

870 Rem. with a rifle sighted 18 1/2" barrel with a hastings non ported 660 tube.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Devastator

my dads old 16 gauge single shot with low brass 8 shot.i was shaking so bad i almost could not get the hammer back :lol:

bushwhacker

Killed my first gobbler in the spring of '99. My dad hunted about everything but turkeys, and I had been begging him to just take me and I would try and call one myself. Called that turkey up the last weekend of missouri spring season and killed it with an H&R single barrel 12with 28 inch barrel and fixed full choke. Used winchester super-x 1 7/8 oz 6's. Killed the turkey at 46 steps, but the real kicker is I just patterned this gun two days ago and it puts about 5 shot in the kill zone at 30 yards with 5's or 6's. But number 4's it shoots really well. So i'm taking it to kill my second missouri bird with, one of those just because deals!!

P.S. that first tom is my biggest to date at 22.5 lbs, and there are 15 more
          beards hanging by his and i'm only 25 years old hunting in a state with a two bird limit.

Odessa

Just killed my first turkey three seasons ago; used a 12 gauge Mossberg 535, Primos Titewad choke, and Federal FliteControl 3" shell loaded with 1-3/4 oz. of #6 buffered lead shot.
"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge

Longshanks

Remington 870 Wingmaster. Sometime in the late 70's.  Hunted with a full choke barrel and 5's and 6's.  Eventually had the gun customized..21 in barrel, Hastings .665, polished barrel, lengthened forcing cone. Aimpoint first... now Tru glo adjustable sights.  Still killing turkeys with it today..Fed HW 7's and Hevi 13 6's are the poison in it today.  Everytime i kill a turkey with it i think about my ole dad and all the mornings he drug me out of bed to go after the wild turkey.  First turkey was 11 3/4 in beard and a 5.5 in beard and 1 1/4 spurs.  Big turkey for the south.  Thats when the obsession began..

cahaba

1974 I killed one with a 16ga. single shot with a full choke. My dad purchased the gun at a local Western Auto hardware store. My grandson now has the gun. The turkey was one of my better ones 21 lbs. 11 in. beard and 1 1/4 in. spurs. Called him up with an old Lynch box call. I didnt have a clue what I was doing but turkeys back then seemed alot easier to call.

natman

Mossberg 500, 28" barrel, Mossberg X-Full flush choke. I've since changed to a 20" barrel with the same choke, one shot = one turkey for the last 27 in a row.

Harcomo

The gun was a Remington 870 SPST with an Extra Full RemChoke shooting Remington Premier Turkey Loads in #4 shot.  The distance was around 20 yards.  The year was 1993.  I still use the same gun today with a few modifications.

coyotetrpr

The same Mossberg 835 ultimag that I still use 18 years later.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

knotheadedfool

I wonder if anybody else used on of these?

model 1901 Winchester lever action 10 gauge

I wonder if I should hold on to it for sentimental reasons or sell it.  I need to make room in my gun cabinet.

stinkpickle

I shot my first turkey (in the fall) with a Mossy 500 I bought in high school...back in the '80's.  If I remember correctly, I used the factory flush XFull tube, single bead, and a Win XX 3-2-6 (might have been a 3-1 7/8-6...it was a red shell, anyway).  I yanked it out of the closet a few years ago, slapped an Undertaker and a set of Truglo sites on it (clearance from Walmart for $13), grabbed some old XX 3-2-6's, and she still worked just fine (see pic)...  :)

(BTW, my first spring bird was taken with a Mossy 835, factory XFull tube, double beads, and a Remington 3.5-2.25-6.)

bowhunter32

I believe in the fall of 91' using a borrowed mossy 500 3" federal (pre f.c.) lol..#4's....oh that first bird....good times :you_rock:

mightyjoeyoung

1984...took a nice, big spring jake in the mountains with the old man.  Used an old Stevens pump 12 gauge with a fixed modified choke and 3" Remington Nitro Magnum lead 4's.  I can still feel the pain in my shoulder from the hard butt plate!  I still have the gun and wouldn't trade it for a million bucks.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.