OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shotguns with 2 beads, how to line them up

Started by ugaDAWGS09, February 20, 2019, 07:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugaDAWGS09

I'm trying to get my new A5 dialed in for turkey season and I'm shooting about 6 inches low and a couple inches to the left at 20 yards.  Would stacking the beads like a figure 8 raise my point of impact?  I'm doing my best to mount the same every time to my cheek and look flat down the rib with the beads lined up but still shooting low.

Gog1015

The front bead and mid bead need to form a figure 8 to be consistent.

JoeA

Making an "8" with by stacking your beads will raise your point of impact. Use bead alignment to give a consistent hold and point of aim (POA). So will raising the comb (top edge of the stock). If your pattern is still off from your POA, your stock may need some adjustment. Ideally, your gun should point naturally, according to how you hold it with a minimum of squirming and tilting "to get it just right".

Is this a turkey gun or your do-it-all boomer? Here's 2 options to address your issues of low and left POI. First, a shim kit for the stock. The other is to try wrapping something around the stock to raise the comb (like a wrapid comb), and use a reflex red dot to address windage issues.

Good luck this spring!
NWTF, SCI, DU and Half Tone Game Calls

ugaDAWGS09

Quote from: JoeA on February 20, 2019, 08:48:01 PM
Making an "8" with by stacking your beads will raise your point of impact. Use bead alignment to give a consistent hold and point of aim (POA). So will raising the comb (top edge of the stock). If your pattern is still off from your POA, your stock may need some adjustment. Ideally, your gun should point naturally, according to how you hold it with a minimum of squirming and tilting "to get it just right".

Is this a turkey gun or your do-it-all boomer? Here's 2 options to address your issues of low and left POI. First, a shim kit for the stock. The other is to try wrapping something around the stock to raise the comb (like a wrapid comb), and use a reflex red dot to address windage issues.

Good luck this spring!

Thanks yes this is my do it all gun.  Should the gun shoot exactly the same POI no matter which shell I'm using such as a target load or a 3 1/2 inch Turkey load? I'm gonna shoot a few more rounds in the morning then if needed I'll add a shim.

ugaDAWGS09

Also when stacking the beads should the top bead be below the target or cover the target?

sasquatch1

Line them up until they appear as one bead!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozarks Hillbilly

Quote from: ugaDAWGS09 on February 20, 2019, 09:02:42 PM

Good luck this spring!

Thanks yes this is my do it all gun.  Should the gun shoot exactly the same POI no matter which shell I'm using such as a target load or a 3 1/2 inch Turkey load? I'm gonna shoot a few more rounds in the morning then if needed I'll add a shim.
Several factors will change POI Shell's can definitely change POI even deferent lot numbers of the same shell can change your POI.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

ugaDAWGS09

Quote from: Ozarks Hillbilly on February 20, 2019, 09:25:45 PM
Quote from: ugaDAWGS09 on February 20, 2019, 09:02:42 PM

Good luck this spring!

Several factors will change POI Shell's can definitely change POI even deferent lot numbers of the same shell can change your POI.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Tomorrow I'm going to shoot some Remington 3 inch #5s and see how they shoot. The 3 1/2 inch LB #6s are the shells shooting low and left.

Gog1015

Quote from: ugaDAWGS09 on February 20, 2019, 09:05:22 PM
Also when stacking the beads should the top bead be below the target or cover the target?

Below

Greg Massey

In the heat of the battle with turkey coming into range , the last thing i want to worry about is how I've got to manipulate the aiming of my gun .. I would look at different sights , red dot or whatever it takes to lesson the change of missing my bird in the heat of the battle ...

Bowguy

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 20, 2019, 10:58:07 PM
In the heat of the battle with turkey coming into range , the last thing i want to worry about is how I've got to manipulate the aiming of my gun .. I would look at different sights , red dot or whatever it takes to lesson the change of missing my bird in the heat of the battle ...
This

shaman

In this case, I'd give a +1 to Greg's response.

It's one of those issues that if you gotta ask. . .

However, let me try and tackle the OP's question.  The answer is it depends. 

Shotguns with pins are meant to be shot instinctively. They're not meant to be deliberately aimed.  However, we do just that when we use them on turkeys.  I've hunted with one bead and two.  The system is really dependent on a good cheek weld, and that is not always possible with a gobbler. 

Your hold is going to be determined at the patterning board.  Let's say you have one bead. You put it at 6 O'Clock and touch one off.  It's low.  So now you try dead-on and you get a good pattern.   In the end you may be 12 O'Clock at 40 yards and 6 O'Clock at 5.  You'll have to practice.  2 Beads?  There is no set method, but normally you want to see no rib and have the back pin surrounded by the front pin.  That may change when you take it to the pattern board. The pins may line up as two concentric circles, or an 8 or the back pin may be shifted left or right.  It's all about you, your cheek weld, the load, the distance, the choke and how you mount the shotgun. Unlike a scope, the pins require practice to figure out what is going to work.

Scopes take away a lot of that guesswork, but they're also dependent on a consistent cheek weld.  One big benefit of a scope is that they give you feedback on your cheek weld.  You have to put your cheek right at the sweet spot in order to get the right sight picture.   Red Dots, reflex sights, and their like remove that requirement somewhat.  That is, they throw the dot on where the shotgun is aimed no matter what your cheek weld  at least up to a point.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

ugaDAWGS09

Quote from: shaman on February 21, 2019, 07:17:11 AM
In this case, I'd give a +1 to Greg's response.

It's one of those issues that if you gotta ask. . .

However, let me try and tackle the OP's question.  The answer is it depends. 

Shotguns with pins are meant to be shot instinctively. They're not meant to be deliberately aimed.  However, we do just that when we use them on turkeys.  I've hunted with one bead and two.  The system is really dependent on a good cheek weld, and that is not always possible with a gobbler. 

Your hold is going to be determined at the patterning board.  Let's say you have one bead. You put it at 6 O'Clock and touch one off.  It's low.  So now you try dead-on and you get a good pattern.   In the end you may be 12 O'Clock at 40 yards and 6 O'Clock at 5.  You'll have to practice.  2 Beads?  There is no set method, but normally you want to see no rib and have the back pin surrounded by the front pin.  That may change when you take it to the pattern board. The pins may line up as two concentric circles, or an 8 or the back pin may be shifted left or right.  It's all about you, your cheek weld, the load, the distance, the choke and how you mount the shotgun. Unlike a scope, the pins require practice to figure out what is going to work.

Scopes take away a lot of that guesswork, but they're also dependent on a consistent cheek weld.  One big benefit of a scope is that they give you feedback on your cheek weld.  You have to put your cheek right at the sweet spot in order to get the right sight picture.   Red Dots, reflex sights, and their like remove that requirement somewhat.  That is, they throw the dot on where the shotgun is aimed no matter what your cheek weld  at least up to a point.

Thanks for all the info.  I may end up getting a red dot of some sort and just taking it back off after season.  Seems to make things much easier.  Any recommendations on a red dot that won't break the bank?

7shooter