OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shotguns with 2 beads, how to line them up

Started by ugaDAWGS09, February 20, 2019, 07:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KentuckyLB

Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 20, 2019, 09:24:04 PM
Line them up until they appear as one bead!!

This is the proper way align your beads...they should be flat across the top and look as one. Head down shoot straight. :z-guntootsmiley:
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LRD

As stated above, I would get a red dot, and the Bushnell TRs-25 is  a good cheap option that will work.

stinkpickle

Just adding clamp-on adjustable rifle sites, like Williams Firesights, is a simple option.

paboxcall

Quote from: stinkpickle on February 21, 2019, 10:50:10 AM
Just adding clamp-on adjustable rifle sites, like Williams Firesights, is a simple option.

Agree, and the Williams provide both windage and elevation adjustment for the center core of the pattern.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

shaman

Quote from: paboxcall on February 21, 2019, 11:00:01 AM
Quote from: stinkpickle on February 21, 2019, 10:50:10 AM

Agree, and the Williams provide both windage and elevation adjustment for the center core of the pattern.

This is a good way to go.  The OP has an Auto-5.  I'm not sure if it is going to be D/T'd for a scope.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

ugaDAWGS09

So I decided to raise the comb on my gun and shot several different shells today.  I'm still about 4 to 5 inches low at 25 yards.  Is the only way possible to raise my POI to add adjustable sights or a red dot sight?

paboxcall

Before anything else, I'd try a different choke tube and load to see if its the barrel or not. For example I have two guns with the same threads, so I own two extended choke tubes, same manufacturer, same ID, both manufactured around the same time period. One throws the pattern core about two inches left in both guns, while POI matches POA in both guns with the other tube.

If its the barrel, a quality gunsmith can bend that for you if needed.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Gog1015

Quote from: ugaDAWGS09 on February 21, 2019, 03:07:32 PM
So I decided to raise the comb on my gun and shot several different shells today.  I'm still about 4 to 5 inches low at 25 yards.  Is the only way possible to raise my POI to add adjustable sights or a red dot sight?

Are you shooting in a lead sled to pattern?

ugaDAWGS09

I've shot it propped up in a Turkey chair and shot it using bags. Same exact pattern each time.

sasquatch1

Yes! There is nothing you can do to move POI other than use adjustable sights.

Shims, do absolutely nothing to change POI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crow

If you are only 4-5 inches low when you are sighting so that you are only seeing one bead, you can raise the POI by setting the front bead on top of the middle bead (the mid bead is the rear sight)

buy a couple of boxes of dove loads and practice aiming this way,  this is a very simple sighting method and won't be hard to develop the muscle memory to shoot like this.

ugaDAWGS09

Quote from: crow on February 21, 2019, 05:04:10 PM

If you are only 4-5 inches low when you are sighting so that you are only seeing one bead, you can raise the POI by setting the front bead on top of the middle bead (the mid bead is the rear sight)

buy a couple of boxes of dove loads and practice aiming this way,  this is a very simple sighting method and won't be hard to develop the muscle memory to shoot like this.

So I should be able to see some of the rib between the methods when stacking like this. I'm really just raising my eye up off the stock some?

Greg Massey

You can do what you want, but trying to manipulate this gun and guess your sight bead's , will probably cost you a bird in all the excitement. Either get you a set of William adjustable sights or red dot ...  don't mess around with trying different methods of getting the beads to shoot POI if it want shoot POI....

Treerooster

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 21, 2019, 05:57:08 PM
You can do what you want, but trying to manipulate this gun and guess your sight bead's , will probably cost you a bird in all the excitement. Either get you a set of William adjustable sights or red dot ...  don't mess around with trying different methods of get the beads to shoot POI if it want shoot POI....

I would agree with what Greg said here. You really don't want to have to think too much when aiming at a turkey. It should be as intuitive as possible.

That said, (I am assuming you are right handed here) if you just do not want to mess with any kind of sight there is a way for your situation. Your eye is the rear sight. If you are shooting low and left you need to raise your eye and move it left. This can be done with a comb raising kit. Beartooth makes one last I looked (which was a while ago). The kit can raise your eye enough to get you on target I am sure, they go over an inch high. The kit is a neoprene sleeve that goes over the stock and just that alone will move your eye over to the left a bit. If you need more you could try some tape or whatever under the neoprene to get you on target.

That said (again) I use both a reflex sight on one turkey gun and shoot another gun with just beads. My back up turkey gun (which I use for fall turkey hunting as my primary gun) is just beads. It was off a bit but I corrected it with shims. And shims absolutely DO work BTW. They work quite well, but many guns don't have shims in their design. A gun not designed for shims can be moved over but only slightly. After that you are stuck with modifying the stock (bending or sanding) or a comb kit unless you need to go down and right (for a righty). 

crow

Quote from: ugaDAWGS09 on February 21, 2019, 05:42:02 PM
Quote from: crow on February 21, 2019, 05:04:10 PM

So I should be able to see some of the rib between the methods when stacking like this. I'm really just raising my eye up off the stock some?

To your last questions------- no do not raise your face up off of the stock, you need a comfortable, consistent cheek weld (face on the stock), you are aiming this gun like a rifle.
ideally you do not want to see any rib between your middle bead and receiver.

So, keep your face on the stock where your comfortable, sight down to the middle bead (now a rear sight), with stock in your shoulder and not moving it or your face, raise muzzle of gun and put the front bead on top of middle bead. Again with being only 4-5 inches low this should get your POI very close.

It is no more complicated or takes more thought to put the front bead on top of the middle bead than it does to put a front bead down in the V notch of a regular rear sight.

If it's the center of your pattern that is  4-5" low with how you are sighting now, if you aim at his head that will drop your pattern down to cover his head and most of his neck

lots of turkeys still being killed with a front bead, a middle bead is a bonus.

Buy 100 (or 200) dove loads, shoot at enough paper to have confidence your POI is matching POA. Then practice with the rest on tin cans until you are comfortable with it. Save a few to practice some left handed shots.