OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Red slate

Started by Spitten and drummen, February 19, 2019, 07:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

I have several grey slates and a few green. I want to venture off and pick up a red slate to try it out. How does it fall in with green and grey as far as pitch? Also can you get any good backend rasp from it? You folks that have been running it , give me honest feedback please. Im afraid its gonna be a much higher pitch than green and im boderline on that extremely high pitch from the green. Thanks
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

outdoors

I just received a red slate  / glass in a cedar pot and it can get raspy depending on the striker     fire ball pot  all red
                                                                 Really neat looking
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Sx4

Quote from: outdoors on February 19, 2019, 07:18:26 PM
I just received a red slate  / glass in a cedar pot and it can get raspy depending on the striker     fire ball pot  all red
                                                                 Really neat looking

Outdoors who made you that sweet cedar red slate? ????

SoIncallcollector

Red cedar red slate from DaddyRat. One of my favorite pots right now. Can get really raspy if you want to. Especially with a dymondwood or snakewood striker. I really like a hickory on it. If you want to get a high pitch out of it yellowheart.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

I am not the greatest caller in the world but if you want I can pull out my green and red tomorrow and make a sound file and use a couple different strikers as well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

outdoors

Quote from: Sx4 on February 19, 2019, 09:15:45 PM
                                                                 Really neat looking

I purchased the call from John sinclaire ........
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Spitten and drummen

Thanks for the replies guys.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

worth612000

Jody, to me the red and green are very similar in sound with the rest being the call maker or striker

Spitten and drummen

Appreciate it. I hope they are different in pitch. If its the same as green , then its no sense in jumping on that train other than to say I own a red slate. But then again I hoard calls and will end up with a half dozen of them lol.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

worth612000

I saw on FB where someone posted a red slate in a Gaboon Ebony pot, that black and red really "poped" Another member stated he has a b&w ebony and red slate. I don't think no 2 pots sound alike so I hope I don't influence you from getting one  :icon_thumright:

compton30

Really neat looking

::)

JLH

If you are a red slate over glass in a pot....and a green slate over glass in the same pot...you will have 2 distinct different tones...or sounds....its more of a difference between glass and crystal in my opinion.

Upfold99

Quote from: SoIncallcollector on February 19, 2019, 10:33:10 PM
Red cedar red slate from DaddyRat. One of my favorite pots right now. Can get really raspy if you want to. Especially with a dymondwood or snakewood striker. I really like a hickory on it. If you want to get a high pitch out of it yellowheart.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
X2, also one of my favorite pots right now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Harty

I have 2 red slates and 2 green. As noted in prior posts you will have no problem with rasp based on striker selection. My hearing regarding pitch of that first note is not as definitive as it once was .my wife's is however and she reports that the red is  higher then green. I have a red sinclair in Gabboon Ebony that plays higher then Paul Hicks red slate in cedar.

jordanz7935

Really neat looking

:deadhorse: