News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Not turkeys but...

Started by wvmntnhick, February 18, 2019, 07:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on February 19, 2019, 04:38:32 PM
Glad you got the pup back. Love to see the young un's getting in on the act!! :icon_thumright:
If I knew how to upload a video via TT, I'd share the one of my girls. They had a blast. Youngest ones reaction was amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spurs

Quote from: wvmntnhick on February 18, 2019, 08:20:46 PM
Quote from: Spurs on February 18, 2019, 07:42:38 PM
Had this girl for 11 this October.  Busted a bunch of bushy tails with this ole gal.

That's a day right there man. He'd not know how to act in squirrels that thick. Lol

Mostly small parcels of land here unless I get to run public. Don't typically get time to go that far these days tho. Keep it closer to home so it doesn't monopolize my time so much that I miss out on stuff with the girls. That's why I enjoy taking them along these days. Would love to get into thick squirrels like that tho. Congrats.

We hunt some public, but mostly small parcels of private.  I used to breed squirrel dogs when I was in college.  She came out of a gype I traded for a shotgun. :TooFunny:

I've been around some of the best, but she takes the cake. 
This year is going to suck!!!

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Spurs on February 19, 2019, 05:09:03 PM
Had this girl for 11 this October.  Busted a bunch of bushy tails with this ole gal.

That's a day right there man. He'd not know how to act in squirrels that thick. Lol

Mostly small parcels of land here unless I get to run public. Don't typically get time to go that far these days tho. Keep it closer to home so it doesn't monopolize my time so much that I miss out on stuff with the girls. That's why I enjoy taking them along these days. Would love to get into thick squirrels like that tho. Congrats.

We hunt some public, but mostly small parcels of private.  I used to breed squirrel dogs when I was in college.  She came out of a gype I traded for a shotgun. :TooFunny:

Appears to be a cur. How far off am I?

Spurs

Quote from: wvmntnhick on February 19, 2019, 05:10:40 PM
Quote from: Spurs on February 19, 2019, 05:09:03 PM

Appears to be a cur. How far off am I?

Correct.  OMCBA.
This year is going to suck!!!

coyote1

Quote from: wvmntnhick on February 19, 2019, 03:02:26 PM
Quote from: coyote1 on February 19, 2019, 01:42:51 PM
He is 7 but acts like a 2 year old. He will occasionally point a bird and is a duck retrieving machine. Probably too old to start him on squirells, I guess I was thinking out loud.
If he's already 7, I'd say start over. Get a good pup that's bred right and your job will be a lot easier. Seriously, they're just born with it. You'll need 2 pairs of boots though. Once the first pair is worn out, your dog should be doing what you want. You'll log plenty of miles while that pup gets started. But, once the light comes on and it turns the corner, it's all worth it. I've been fortunate though. Mine were all self starters and took very little work as far as training is concerned. Gotta keep them in the woods but I don't bother showing them easy/dead squirrels. And you're gonna have days when they're all over the place. You'll ask why he/she isn't treeing. They just gotta figure it out on their own. Koal took a bit longer than my old pup but he's doing very well at the moment and improves every time. Yesterday I watched one come down a tree and disappear. My buddy asked why I didn't shoot it. Wanted the dog to find it. Ran past us, hit the track and went straight to the tree. We let the young boy (guys son) with us shoot it. It's cool watching the dog work it out. I'd rather kill 3 with the dog than 6 without him.

Thank you for the insight. Any particular breed better than other treeing dogs?

wvmntnhick

Quote from: coyote1 on February 20, 2019, 02:24:48 AM
He is 7 but acts like a 2 year old. He will occasionally point a bird and is a duck retrieving machine. Probably too old to start him on squirells, I guess I was thinking out loud.
If he's already 7, I'd say start over. Get a good pup that's bred right and your job will be a lot easier. Seriously, they're just born with it. You'll need 2 pairs of boots though. Once the first pair is worn out, your dog should be doing what you want. You'll log plenty of miles while that pup gets started. But, once the light comes on and it turns the corner, it's all worth it. I've been fortunate though. Mine were all self starters and took very little work as far as training is concerned. Gotta keep them in the woods but I don't bother showing them easy/dead squirrels. And you're gonna have days when they're all over the place. You'll ask why he/she isn't treeing. They just gotta figure it out on their own. Koal took a bit longer than my old pup but he's doing very well at the moment and improves every time. Yesterday I watched one come down a tree and disappear. My buddy asked why I didn't shoot it. Wanted the dog to find it. Ran past us, hit the track and went straight to the tree. We let the young boy (guys son) with us shoot it. It's cool watching the dog work it out. I'd rather kill 3 with the dog than 6 without him.

The vast majority of squirrel dogs are going to be either feists or curs. Feists will almost never be over 20#. Pops weighs about 21 and Koal might go 14. Curs will be bigger into that 30-50# range. Taller, more leg, etc. They're more hound-like. My wife is scared of dogs. Youngest daughter is terrified. The smaller dogs are less intimidating for both. Wife won't touch them unless she has to but my little girl has come to love these 2 dogs. I've had 2 curs over the years and many more feists. Keep saying the next will be a cue but yet I still keep going back to the feists. They rely more on their eyes and ears while curs have more of a nose. I get more den trees with curs than feists but pick up more layups with curs also. Having said that, this dog does just fine with layups so...

Best advice I can give (really took the long way around here), if you really think you wanna get into it, do some research and figure out whether you want a bigger dog or a smaller one. Find a reputable breeder. I'd be more than willing to help out. Have connections all over because of these little dogs. Can hook you up with someone real quick. And, if you know you're short on time or just don't wanna take the time to train one, find a good started dog. But, you'll never beat the bond you'll get by training/raising your own pup.

Gobbler2577

Your Koal looks a lot like my Max.  He's 14 months old and doing good.  Hes from Keith Landrum's line here in MS.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

cphill

Quote from: Gobbler2577 on February 20, 2019, 02:54:08 PM
Your Koal looks a lot like my Max.  He's 14 months old and doing good.  Hes from Keith Landrum's line here in MS.

That's a sharp dog man

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Gobbler2577 on February 20, 2019, 02:54:08 PM

That's a sharp looking dog there man.

wvmntnhick

Dog on the left is Biz. On the right is Pop's (Popcorn). Biz died before he was 2. Diabetic. Didn't know it. He was like a VW beetle with a corvette motor. Had it all man. Miss that dog. What he was doing before he was 2 was what a lot of dogs are doing at 3-4 years old. Pop's has gotten older now. Doesn't see much time in the woods anymore. But, he's a good dog and did tree a few this year when he got out. Wish I had some other pics of Biz on my phone. None of the others transferred when I swapped phones.

coyote1

Quote from: wvmntnhick on February 20, 2019, 06:48:20 AM
Quote from: coyote1 on February 20, 2019, 02:24:48 AM

The vast majority of squirrel dogs are going to be either feists or curs. Feists will almost never be over 20#. Pops weighs about 21 and Koal might go 14. Curs will be bigger into that 30-50# range. Taller, more leg, etc. They're more hound-like. My wife is scared of dogs. Youngest daughter is terrified. The smaller dogs are less intimidating for both. Wife won't touch them unless she has to but my little girl has come to love these 2 dogs. I've had 2 curs over the years and many more feists. Keep saying the next will be a cue but yet I still keep going back to the feists. They rely more on their eyes and ears while curs have more of a nose. I get more den trees with curs than feists but pick up more layups with curs also. Having said that, this dog does just fine with layups so...

Best advice I can give (really took the long way around here), if you really think you wanna get into it, do some research and figure out whether you want a bigger dog or a smaller one. Find a reputable breeder. I'd be more than willing to help out. Have connections all over because of these little dogs. Can hook you up with someone real quick. And, if you know you're short on time or just don't wanna take the time to train one, find a good started dog. But, you'll never beat the bond you'll get by training/raising your own pup.

I appreciate all the information. I have a long time hopefully to do my research. I won't get another dog anytime soon, I have 2 now. When the time comes my next one will be a breed for squirrel hunting, will raise it from a pup as that's the only way for me. I will definitely keep your offer in mind, may need help finding a good dog.