turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which Thermacell?

Started by Sir-diealot, February 17, 2019, 10:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

Don't go crazy buying extra mats and butane.  I hunt wet and swampy Eastern NC from the first of April until the first of May and hardly turn mine on (our State bird is the mosquito LOL).  Most mornings are 40's to 70's with very little mosquito activity.  Not sure what state you hunt but the thermacell should come with 4 or 5 mats and a butane canister so you should be fine through the spring.

KentuckyHeadhunter

I read a crazy story somewhere where a hunter fell asleep against a tree with his thermacell on.  When he woke up there was a rattlesnake in his lap.  Apparently it saw the heat signature put off by the device and came to investigate.  Not sure if that's true.  I love mine and use it frequently during deer and turkey seasons.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

gergg

I have never used one, all I can think of is the the picture in my mind from when I was a kid in South Florida......We would have Mosquito fogger trucks come through the neighborhood while we were playing outside, running through the fog/poison breathing it all in, that is what the Thermacell is to me....lol....just can't do it.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Sir-diealot

Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 18, 2019, 01:20:13 AM
Yes they work exactly the same, I hunt south Louisiana swaps that are infested with mosquitos, I assure you they work the same

Since they smaller I just got 2 of them in the thermacell at a time, prob un needed tho!

The reg pads cost prob $1 a piece at least, these ARS mats probably 10cent I think

Just turn your thermocell on about 10min early to let it warm up, if not the mosquitos may get you for the first 5-10 minutes before it heats up and starts working

Just google ARS MAT and you'll see them come up, some have "raid" on them, they all the same. Just look at how many pieces vs price and free shipping to get the best deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did not find anything under ARS Mat but did find these out of Malaysia, are they the same thing? https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-HOURS-MOSQUITO-REPELLER-MAT-TABLET-REFILL-THERMACELL-75-PCS-360-PCS/223125247328?hash=item33f34d1560:m:m7WlCzshgo1K21WkQiKhKIw
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sir-diealot

Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 18, 2019, 01:20:13 AM
Yes they work exactly the same, I hunt south Louisiana swaps that are infested with mosquitos, I assure you they work the same

Since they smaller I just got 2 of them in the thermacell at a time, prob un needed tho!

The reg pads cost prob $1 a piece at least, these ARS mats probably 10cent I think

Just turn your thermocell on about 10min early to let it warm up, if not the mosquitos may get you for the first 5-10 minutes before it heats up and starts working

Just google ARS MAT and you'll see them come up, some have "raid" on them, they all the same. Just look at how many pieces vs price and free shipping to get the best deal

I did not find anything under ARS Mat but did find these out of Malaysia, are they the same thing? Edit: Skip the question, I should have read further down, they will work. Thanks again. https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-HOURS-MOSQUITO-REPELLER-MAT-TABLET-REFILL-THERMACELL-75-PCS-360-PCS/223125247328?hash=item33f34d1560:m:m7WlCzshgo1K21WkQiKhKIw
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: appalachianstruttstopper on February 18, 2019, 01:27:19 AM
Be careful using it inside your blind. When I use one in a blind I place it out on the ground in front of the window outside. Mosquitos hate those things. Wish it worked for ticks.
Thanks for the advise, I kinda wondered if there would be any adverse affects inside a blind. I wish they worked on ticks too.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: captpete on February 18, 2019, 06:12:42 AM
I found that they do not work that well when moving. Also try to place it so it is upwind of you...this will blow the repelent to you.
Thanks. Do they have a scent? Just thinking of early deer season.

Quote from: SteelerFan on February 18, 2019, 06:24:45 AM
The holster comes in handy to carry a spare cartridge and pads, too.

Thermacell Mosquito Repeller Holster, Olive, MR-HJ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q2FH7S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ywPACbVAGCQGJ

Thanks, added that to my list.

Quote from: bbcoach on February 18, 2019, 07:22:55 AM
Don't go crazy buying extra mats and butane.  I hunt wet and swampy Eastern NC from the first of April until the first of May and hardly turn mine on (our State bird is the mosquito LOL).  Most mornings are 40's to 70's with very little mosquito activity.  Not sure what state you hunt but the thermacell should come with 4 or 5 mats and a butane canister so you should be fine through the spring.

I live in NY they can get bad fast at times, other times not. With all the things they can carry these days I am trying to protect myself which might seem like I am going overkill but I do not have a spleen and get sick very easy and have a hard time getting over most things when I do get sick. Don't want to mess with West Nile Virus or anything like that.

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on February 18, 2019, 07:36:27 AM
I read a crazy story somewhere where a hunter fell asleep against a tree with his thermacell on.  When he woke up there was a rattlesnake in his lap.  Apparently it saw the heat signature put off by the device and came to investigate.  Not sure if that's true.  I love mine and use it frequently during deer and turkey seasons.

That would be as bad as waking up next to Ruth Buzzi!
Quote from: gergg on February 18, 2019, 07:43:47 AM
I have never used one, all I can think of is the the picture in my mind from when I was a kid in South Florida......We would have Mosquito fogger trucks come through the neighborhood while we were playing outside, running through the fog/poison breathing it all in, that is what the Thermacell is to me....lol....just can't do it.
I can understand that. Live not far from Love Canal growing up but did not know exactly where it was. One day I went to help a home for kids go get some furniture and I look out the window and there are all these guys in hazmat suits. I was like "Um where are we and is it safe to be here" they claimed it was but I don't know.

John Koenig:

LaLongbeard

Word of caution Allethrin which is one of the ingredients in the thermocell mats is toxic so you don't want to breath it. Also the mats made in Malaysia are definitely cheaper but are made with D-allethrin the Themocell mats are made with D-Cis/trans Allethrin basically less Allethrin per mat, the malayasia mats have twice the Allethrin dose per mat.
It's like anything else permithrin etc. you have to way the benefits vs hazard. I definitely would not leave my truck without the thermocell in some of the areas I hunt, but I wouldn't take a chance on the off brand mats and especially not in closed  in a blind. I've also seen videos of people soaking the used mats in permithrin, definitely not good to heat up and breath that stuff.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Sixes

First time seeing those new models. I'm still not sure what the cr2032 battery is for in the new unit.

Thermacells are worth everything when the skeeters are out in force, I keep one in my vest and a couple spares in the truck.

I use a lot more fuel than pads, I only change the pad after flipping it once and using it until it seems to have lost its effectiveness.

One important thing is to remember to turn it off or you will really use the fuel.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 18, 2019, 12:37:26 PM
Word of caution Allethrin which is one of the ingredients in the thermocell mats is toxic so you don't want to breath it. Also the mats made in Malaysia are definitely cheaper but are made with D-allethrin the Themocell mats are made with D-Cis/trans Allethrin basically less Allethrin per mat, the malayasia mats have twice the Allethrin dose per mat.
It's like anything else permithrin etc. you have to way the benefits vs hazard. I definitely would not leave my truck without the thermocell in some of the areas I hunt, but I wouldn't take a chance on the off brand mats and especially not in closed  in a blind. I've also seen videos of people soaking the used mats in permithrin, definitely not good to heat up and breath that stuff.

I take it D-allethrin is not as high a quality or more toxic?

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Sixes on February 18, 2019, 01:47:53 PM
First time seeing those new models. I'm still not sure what the cr2032 battery is for in the new unit.

Thermacells are worth everything when the skeeters are out in force, I keep one in my vest and a couple spares in the truck.

I use a lot more fuel than pads, I only change the pad after flipping it once and using it until it seems to have lost its effectiveness.

One important thing is to remember to turn it off or you will really use the fuel.
Thanks for the info.

John Koenig:

wvmntnhick

Quote from: coyote1 on February 18, 2019, 12:08:26 AM
You need the butane/ mats refill pack. I like the value pack. I approximately 3-4 hours per mat and 10-12 hours per butane cartridge.
That's it? I get a full day out of my scent pads. Love thermacells.

coyote1

Quote from: wvmntnhick on February 18, 2019, 09:54:39 PM
Quote from: coyote1 on February 18, 2019, 12:08:26 AM
You need the butane/ mats refill pack. I like the value pack. I approximately 3-4 hours per mat and 10-12 hours per butane cartridge.
That's it? I get a full day out of my scent pads. Love thermacells.

On average yes. May get 5 hours out of some. Can't remember getting more than 5 hours out of a mat though.

joey46

Being in South Florida have used one for years.  Mine is an original and still works just fine.  Just tried the refill trick from a you tube video.  That was pretty easy also.  Now going to look for some of those Chinese mats but thought about spraying a used mat with Permethin clothing spray to boost it.  Thoughts?  It has been a wetter than normal winter so the bugs will be busy this turkey season.
We do a lot of open air sitting over decoys and find by 9am or so the Thermocell can be turned off.  Not sure I would want one in a blind.

Turkeytaker203

I have been using a Therma cell for bowhunting deer for a long time. I have no doubt that deer can smell these things but I only need it during early bow season when its warm. Usually, I have sweated so much getting to my spot and setting up that the extra smell of the Therma cell is a mute point. It makes you play the wind better. The benefits of not being harassed by the blood suckers worth it. We can hunt the last two weeks of September here in Missouri and in 2017 I killed 6 does in the two week stretch. It was in the 90's the whole time and I ran my Therma cell every hunt.
As far as the life time of the mats, I only change them when I see a drop in effectiveness. The instruction say when the mat turns dark it should be changed, but they will last much longer than that. This tool is just like any other hunting tool, you will learn how to use it as you go, They are an asset for sure.