OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which Thermacell?

Started by Sir-diealot, February 17, 2019, 10:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShootingABN!

Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 18, 2019, 12:44:57 AM
Get the Chinese ARS mats off eBay for a whole lot cheaper and google how to remove the check valve in the butane bottles, then you can refill them with a can of butane and save a lot of money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes and there are YouTube vid's on how to do the refills.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: joey46 on February 19, 2019, 04:16:39 AM
Being in South Florida have used one for years.  Mine is an original and still works just fine.  Just tried the refill trick from a you tube video.  That was pretty easy also.  Now going to look for some of those Chinese mats but thought about spraying a used mat with Permethin clothing spray to boost it.  Thoughts?  It has been a wetter than normal winter so the bugs will be busy this turkey season.
We do a lot of open air sitting over decoys and find by 9am or so the Thermocell can be turned off.  Not sure I would want one in a blind.
Thanks for the info, seems like I may put it outside the blind from what all are saying.

Quote from: Turkeytaker203 on February 19, 2019, 07:24:31 AM
I have been using a Therma cell for bowhunting deer for a long time. I have no doubt that deer can smell these things but I only need it during early bow season when its warm. Usually, I have sweated so much getting to my spot and setting up that the extra smell of the Therma cell is a mute point. It makes you play the wind better. The benefits of not being harassed by the blood suckers worth it. We can hunt the last two weeks of September here in Missouri and in 2017 I killed 6 does in the two week stretch. It was in the 90's the whole time and I ran my Therma cell every hunt.
As far as the life time of the mats, I only change them when I see a drop in effectiveness. The instruction say when the mat turns dark it should be changed, but they will last much longer than that. This tool is just like any other hunting tool, you will learn how to use it as you go, They are an asset for sure.
Good to know about the bow hunting, I am hoping I can do that this year, waiting for my ride to show up in an hour so I can go to Rochester and get an MRI on my shoulder that was operated on last year. I already told my doc if it needs to be operated on again it will have to wait til after turkey season if it is not going to do damage to the shoulder.

Quote from: ShootingABN! on February 19, 2019, 07:32:28 AM
Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 18, 2019, 12:44:57 AM
Get the Chinese ARS mats off eBay for a whole lot cheaper and google how to remove the check valve in the butane bottles, then you can refill them with a can of butane and save a lot of money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes and there are YouTube vid's on how to do the refills.
I will be sure to look them up, thanks.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."