News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

ONX hunting app

Started by turkaholic, February 10, 2019, 07:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: strutstopper on February 10, 2019, 03:39:14 PM
Get the camofire app. They have the OnX elite membership for $60 and the single state for $18 pretty regularly.

Was planing on getting ONX at end of month. But hate putting any more app's as possable on phone. Just because I don't understand all the  technical stuff, and about information they collect on you. So anyway, first you have to download the camofire app, and then dose it give you sale deals?

NCL

For me the big advantage is being able to research ownership of land for locating potential spots to hunt by learning the owners names. I located a piece of BLM property that is landlocked by private ground. I was able to identify the three property owners that surround the land which will give a second option if they  will not allow hunting they may allow me to cross. It is just a tool that helps if you so not have established places to hunt.

strutstopper

Quote from: ddturkeyhunter on February 10, 2019, 05:17:55 PM
Get the camofire app. They have the OnX elite membership for $60 and the single state for $18 pretty regularly.

Was planing on getting ONX at end of month. But hate putting any more app's as possable on phone. Just because I don't understand all the  technical stuff, and about information they collect on you. So anyway, first you have to download the camofire app, and then dose it give you sale deals?

I just checked and camofire.com has the same deals that the camofire app has. That will keep you from having to get the camofire app. Get on the camofire website every day and see what the new deals are. They have different stuff every day. I'd be surprised if the OnX deal wasn't back on there within a week. When it is, just buy it off the website. They will send you an OnX card that's basically like a gift card with instructions on how to use it and download it to whatever device you want.

Another plus to buying it off of camofire at that price is that when your year is up, you can renew it at that same price you previously paid for it. That's what I've been told, but my year isn't up yet so I can't confirm.

dublelung

I've been using it for 2 seasons and really like it. If you hunt public land or if you're just marking spots on private land it's a very useful too.

Big Jeremy

I use it and love it. 90% of my hunting is done on public land, and it can be a huge help to find starting points, be able to know property boundaries, and find more public land. I have a bunch of maps saved, and can turn the phone to airplane mode, not worry about other phone distractions, and battery will last all day easily. I have tried other mapping stuff, but nothing was as good as OnX for me. I love it.

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: strutstopper on February 11, 2019, 11:50:44 AM
Quote from: ddturkeyhunter on February 10, 2019, 05:17:55 PM

Thanks for the information, I did look at the app but didn't, sign up. I will get ONX through the web site.

I just checked and camofire.com has the same deals that the camofire app has. That will keep you from having to get the camofire app. Get on the camofire website every day and see what the new deals are. They have different stuff every day. I'd be surprised if the OnX deal wasn't back on there within a week. When it is, just buy it off the website. They will send you an OnX card that's basically like a gift card with instructions on how to use it and download it to whatever device you want.

Another plus to buying it off of camofire at that price is that when your year is up, you can renew it at that same price you previously paid for it. That's what I've been told, but my year isn't up yet so I can't confirm.

ddturkeyhunter

Thanks Silvestris, OnX is on it right now for today till gone. Just got my one year Elete memership for $63.52

deerhunt1988

Gaia GPS is just as good, if not better, than OnX at a fraction of the price. You can get a year subscription through their website right now for $36. OnX has been miles above the rest in marketing thus Gaia is not as well known at this point, but as word gets out, I suspect several will make the switch!

Here is an article (a bit old) comparing the two:

https://blog.gaiagps.com/gaia-gps-vs-onx-hunt/

Chordeiles

From someone who has hunted public land in Virginia, West Virginia, Montana and Colorado, I believe that OnX is worth every penny.

Thanks strutstopper, didn't know about the camofire site. I'm gonna renew my sub.

Drycreek

Anyone have a promo code?

strutstopper

mathews8pt

I love ONX for what i do.  Between elk out west, public around home for deer and some out of state turkey hunts im not sure I would be as comfortable heading out without it.  Its super nice to download a new map and head in knowing full well you wont be trespassing in an area you have never stepped foot on.  I can also use a desktop to do research on and drop pins that will show up on my phone.  There is a lot of good features IMO.  I got the camofire deal this year as well and $60 for a full year is WELL worth it.

g8rvet

Very good app.  I use it on both public and private to show property boundaries.  It has also saved me a couple mile walk. I knew where I was and I knew where the road was, but just walking out of the super thick head in the right spot saved me some miles on my feet.  Mostly I use it for knowing where it goes from public to private or from one landowner to the other.  Two of the private places I hunt either have no fence, or it is not on the boundary.  It is not like I pull it out and plan a hunt, but if I have put some walking in and am unsure of the boundary, a quick check lets me know where I am standing. 

It is also really handy for figuring out how to walk in to oxbows when the river is high to hunt wood ducks.  Don't need it for our regular spots, but when hunting a new spot, it helps a lot. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

CT Spur Collector

Good app, really like it.

Tennessee Lead

I purchased the OnX app this fall and it's been a great tool to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk