News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Hunting Idiosyncrasies

Started by chrisun, February 07, 2019, 03:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisun

Hi Everyone

Starting to catch some cabin fever up here in Canada. Was day dreaming about hunting turkey and it got me to wondering who else has some of those crazy "superstitions, idiosyncrasies etc" that they take with them to the woods.

For me...I always have to wear the same hat and clothes. Also, I begin and end each and every hunt with a prayer.

Anyone else?
John 3:16
Guns have 2 enemies.....rust and politicians.

Gobble!

I have two four leaf clovers in my vest but that's about it.

BTH

I am die hard about being seen or daylighted near any open hunt areas. So much so I will walk in in the pitch black dark dark and sit still for several extra hours.
BUT have been late before and walked across a field at first light and killed a bird that I walked right under earlier. Go figure!
Phil 4:13

Deputy 14

My uncle gave me a pair of mesh gloves the first time I went turkey hunting as a kid. They're worn out to the point of not being able to wear them anymore but they live in gear pack and have been with me for every bird I've ever killed.

g8rvet

I try to sit down and let the woods quiet and enjoy the daybreak.  I repeat my favorite Bible verse in prayer-Psalm 118v24 "This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it".  Kill or no kill, it is good advice.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

guesswho

Just a couple things.  I try not to let my hat touch the ground, ever!   Goes back to my childhood days.  My Dad would always tell me it's bad luck to let your hat touch the ground, then he would spend most of the day trying to catch me not paying attention and knock it off my head.   

2nd.  Anytime I kill a gobbler with a different gun I'll take a breast feather and put it under the butt plate of that gun.   I have a couple that go back over 50 years.  Every once in a while I'll get bored and take the butt plate off one of those old guns just to look at and touch that breast feather from a turkey so many years ago.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Gooserbat

I've worn the same headnet for almost 20 years. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: guesswho on February 07, 2019, 05:11:11 PM
2nd.  Anytime I kill a gobbler with a different gun I'll take a breast feather and put it under the butt plate of that gun.   I have a couple that go back over 50 years.  Every once in a while I'll get bored and take the butt plate off one of those old guns just to look at and touch that breast feather from a turkey so many years ago.
That's cool. 

Happy

Have a strand of a turkey beard glued around the brim of every hat I have killed a turkey in. And then there's what's left of a horseshoe I found a few years ago that found a permanent spot in my vest. I found it on a day that nothing was gobbling. 15 minutes later I struck him and had him flopping within the hour.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

randy6471

I've used a 3/4 style face mask for many years and like the fact that it's around my neck...ready to go when I set up.

I ALWAYS slip the mask over my head and around my neck as I'm heading into the woods for a hunt and I NEVER take it off until I'm out of the woods and done for the day.

wade

I always recover the empty shell after a kill. One time I went home and got a metal detector because I couldn't find it. The empty had hit a tree to my right and bounced to my left.
Do it outdoors

bobk

I carry a pocket knife every time in I go in the woods.  It was given to me by a World War 1 veteran to be carried for good luck . It has worked for me.

3bailey3

I also pick up my hull's and stick a few feather in them and I never make the first sound of the day, I want the woods to come alive like I wasn't even there.

Spurs Up

Nothing too crazy.  On days following those when I go home empty handed (more often than not), I make sure the shell I chamber is a different one than that from the previous day. OK...a little weird.

guesswho

Quote from: Spurs Up on February 07, 2019, 07:56:54 PM
Nothing too crazy.  On days following those when I go home empty handed (more often than not), I make sure the shell I chamber is a different one than that from the previous day. OK...a little weird.
Forgot that one.   I rotate shells as well. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff