turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Hunting Idiosyncrasies

Started by chrisun, February 07, 2019, 03:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylongspur88

After I kill a bird I'll carry the empty shell hull in my vest until I kill the next bird. Then after I kill a bird the one from the vest gets cut and I stick the beard of the fresh bird in it and the new empty hull goes in the vest for the next one. Weird right?

SinGin

Quote from: Spurs Up on February 07, 2019, 07:56:54 PM
Nothing too crazy.  On days following those when I go home empty handed (more often than not), I make sure the shell I chamber is a different one than that from the previous day. OK...a little weird.

I do that also, I also kind of bless the shell going in the chamber for turkeys and deer.

Sir-diealot

I try to get in there really early, at least 2 hrs. before sunrise. I do the same for deer. Say a prayer asking Got to let me get my first turkey and if not let me be safe during the day of hunting and the trip home. Does eating pepperoni, cheese and hard boiled eggs count?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

tha bugman

I was heading out the door one morning shortly after my son was born.  I noticed one of his small socks on the floor by the dryer.  I stopped and put it in the pocket of my Ol'Tom gun case and that's where it's been ever since. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J.D. Shellnut

Ive been wearing the same hat for about 15 years. Its more like a sock now! lol And in the call pocket of it I have a little foam bumble bee my little boy made at daycare with hash marks of birds I've killed. That little bumble bee is my most prized hunting possession that I own. I may leave without a vest or even a gun but that hat will be on my head!
60% of the time it works every time!

wade

Quote from: Spurs Up on February 07, 2019, 07:56:54 PM
Nothing too crazy.  On days following those when I go home empty handed (more often than not), I make sure the shell I chamber is a different one than that from the previous day. OK...a little weird.

I'm doing that.
Do it outdoors

turkey harvester

Each shell gets a little kiss of death before going in the chamber, lol.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

GobbleNut

I have the same routine for each bird I get on.  I tell myself,..."Okay, try not to screw this up like you did the last one".   :toothy12:

chrisun

Thank you to everyone who added. Some good stuff!
John 3:16
Guns have 2 enemies.....rust and politicians.

tomstopper

Daughters get to write whatever they want to on the shell that goes in on opening day..

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: g8rvet on February 07, 2019, 05:01:36 PM
I try to sit down and let the woods quiet and enjoy the daybreak.  I repeat my favorite Bible verse in prayer-Psalm 118v24 "This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it".  Kill or no kill, it is good advice.
:icon_thumright:

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: guesswho on February 07, 2019, 05:11:11 PM
Just a couple things.  I try not to let my hat touch the ground, ever!   Goes back to my childhood days.  My Dad would always tell me it's bad luck to let your hat touch the ground, then he would spend most of the day trying to catch me not paying attention and knock it off my head.   
2nd.  Anytime I kill a gobbler with a different gun I'll take a breast feather and put it under the butt plate of that gun.   I have a couple that go back over 50 years.  Every once in a while I'll get bored and take the butt plate off one of those old guns just to look at and touch that breast feather from a turkey so many years ago.
That's pretty cool Ronnie. :icon_thumright:

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 08, 2019, 09:55:57 AM
I have the same routine for each bird I get on.  I tell myself,..."Okay, try not to screw this up like you did the last one".   :toothy12:
:TooFunny:

RutnNStrutn

Ever since it came out, I've carried a quarter that has a gobbler on it that says Kistachie, Louisiana. I thought it was cool, so I started carrying it for luck. If it brings me the same bad luck as the last 2 years, I'm spending it!!! ;D

Cut N Run

In my vest, I carry an ancient stone spearpoint I found when turkey hunting over 30 years ago.  I keep it as a reminder of the true spirit of the hunt and how difficult it could be to hunt turkeys.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.