OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

gaiters

Started by tha bugman, February 01, 2019, 03:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trad bow

aclawrence

Quote from: trad bow on February 08, 2019, 08:38:48 PM
Did it work
No I'm going to buy full body gaiters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trad bow

BBR12

I have been wearing turtle skins for at least 10-12 years maybe 15 or longer. I walk a lot and I absolutely hate wet feet. I used to go through a pair of snake boots every year and my feet were always wet the second half of the season. I finally decided to get a good pair of leather boots and go with the turtle skins and I don't plan to ever go back to anything else. My first pair of boots lasted probably 7 years and they were still waterproof but decided to go with a more light weight pair. I now have a couple different boots for different situations or that I can swap out if I'm hunting all day for days on end. One is a pair of Danner's that are I think 8 or 9 inch boots and the other is a pair of Crispi hiking boots.

tha bugman

Quote from: aclawrence on February 08, 2019, 08:32:28 PM
Quote from: trad bow on February 08, 2019, 07:46:05 PM
I've never owned any but have thought about using them bird hunting in fall and spring. It seems they would help with the ticks and chiggers here in the Deep South. Snake boots are only good for the snakes laying on the ground. Swamp snakes usually are laying in brush thigh high. Slow down and let them get out of the way.
That just sounds terrifying. Swamp snakes!  Your obviously trying to keep us out of your local swampy turkey hole lol.

I have seen a many a cottonmouth hanging in limbs about head high...make your blood run cold for a minute..

ddturkeyhunter

Being a MN boy huning in Florida public land I am always concerned about snakes. And if they made full body armor that wouldn't be to hot, I would be the first to buy a pear. Beside it would be just one more thing the local boys could give me crap about at the camp fire. Especially when half of them wear no snake protection. But then they have no problem stripping down to undies, to cross ditches and channels. I did it for one year also untill I seen a 8 foot gator in the same area we were hunting, I will walk the long way around now.

aclawrence

A Cottonmouth head high in a tree would give you a mild heart attack I'm sure. If a snake was stretched out on a limb would they still be able to strike at you?  Wondering why one would actually get in a tree. Maybe hunting birds or eggs.  If you did take a bite on the face/neck that could get pretty serious real quick. I guess all you can do is pay attention while your out there.

BMAC_Turkeys

Man am I glad I saw this thread.  Was thinking the other day about getting a good hiking boot with Snake proof gaiters to walk a little bit more comfortable in the mtns this year and still have protection.  Are the turtle skins the best/ are there any other brands?

aclawrence

Quote from: BMAC_Turkeys on February 20, 2019, 12:07:42 PM
Man am I glad I saw this thread.  Was thinking the other day about getting a good hiking boot with Snake proof gaiters to walk a little bit more comfortable in the mtns this year and still have protection.  Are the turtle skins the best/ are there any other brands?
I would say the turtle skins are definitely the best snake gaiter option for be useable for hiking and hunting.  Unfortunately they are not nearly as nice as my OR Croc gaiters. I think I will modify my turtle skins by putting some type of strap or cord to loop under my boot to keep them pulled down in the right position. Also the zipper on one of my turtle skins is pin sometimes. I wish they improve their design a little bit then they would be great. They are still the most lightweight snake gaiter option though and I don't mind wearing them if I feel like it's "snakey" out.