turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

gaiters

Started by tha bugman, February 01, 2019, 03:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

Been watching the Pinhoti Project and noticed that they are wearing them.  Anyone use them?  I just can't see them working in swampy conditions, but I may be wrong.  Hunted in knee boots so long don't know if I could make the switch, but I do like the idea!

mathews8pt

I have some i bought for western hunting big game and i use them when the grass is real wet or its extra muddy during turkey season.  They definitely help keep your pants and socks dry when going through knee high stuff.  Im not sure how useful they would be in all day hunting in a swamp as ive never tried it.

Only downside is they are hot and can be a little noisy.  IMO there is a time and place for them so they ride in the truck with me when I head out.

paboxcall

Different season, but I first wore mine this past winter in about 10" of snow. Kept my socks dry. Would imagine they would be the ticket for wet tall grass and fields.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

RUN-N-GUN

I'm interested also. I usually wear knee high neoprene or lace up snake boots . I pick up a pair of Danner hiking boots on clearance so I'm thinking of giving the gaiters a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TauntoHawk

They work awesome for wet grass or thick brush with lower boots, when it gets hot they are easy to take off and stash. They won't work if you are wadding lots of standing water

really help with ticks too
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

LaLongbeard

I have a pair of the turtle skin gaiters there no thicker than a normal  pair of gaiters but are snake proof I had mine covered in Greenleaf camo material to stop amy noise made when they rubbed together. As stated they work well for keeping pants dry in wet grass, are 100% briar and thorn proof, the ones I have aren't  hot at all and 90s are common  during La turkey season. They don't fit real close to the legs there's a little room that may help them breath a little better. They are not made for wading.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

aclawrence

Dave wears Kenetrek gaiters. I also have some turtle skin gaiters.  It gives me a little peace of mind walking around in rattle snake country with the gaiters on. I recently picked up some Outdoor research crocodile gaiters and there are some things I like about them a lot better than the turtle skins but I'll stick with the snake protection when it warms up.

BBURN

I've been thinking about the Kenetrek Gaiters as well. They cost around $75 and look to be well made. I know they have a time and place, but foremost I want them to be comfortable. Dave is quite the salesman even while not even trying. Lol

PALongspur

I've worn gaiters while hunting in the snow for close to 20 years now. One thing I've always noticed is how dry my socks and boots are at the end of the day. My experience was limited to winter time use until last spring. I wore a pair of turtle skins every day last spring and also while hunting this fall. I'll never go without them again. Not only do they keep you dry, they also keep all those annoying twigs and weed seeds off your pants and out of your boot laces.

There's an excellent video on YouTube with Randy Newburg discussing gaiters, it will open your eyes on the advantages.

Dtrkyman

I wear kuiu gaiters often, love them!

GomerPyle

I'm not going without some sort of snake protection from the knees down...........by the time I bought decent hiking boots and snakeproof gaiters, I could just buy some good snake boots.  More waterproof too.
[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"

aclawrence

Quote from: GomerPyle on February 08, 2019, 05:35:19 PM

I'm not going without some sort of snake protection from the knees down...........by the time I bought decent hiking boots and snakeproof gaiters, I could just buy some good snake boots.  More waterproof too.
I doubt you'll find any more waterproof unless your buying a rubber snake boot. Snake boots are also hotter in my opinion. I just like really good hiking boots.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: GomerPyle on February 08, 2019, 05:35:19 PM

The snake proof gaiters I have weren't that expensive and it was a one time purchase, the turtle skins  will last a lifetime. I can also were them with rubber boots if the waters knee deep. More options with gaiters imo
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

trad bow

I've never owned any but have thought about using them bird hunting in fall and spring. It seems they would help with the ticks and chiggers here in the Deep South. Snake boots are only good for the snakes laying on the ground. Swamp snakes usually are laying in brush thigh high. Slow down and let them get out of the way.

aclawrence

Quote from: trad bow on February 08, 2019, 07:46:05 PM
I've never owned any but have thought about using them bird hunting in fall and spring. It seems they would help with the ticks and chiggers here in the Deep South. Snake boots are only good for the snakes laying on the ground. Swamp snakes usually are laying in brush thigh high. Slow down and let them get out of the way.
That just sounds terrifying. Swamp snakes!  Your obviously trying to keep us out of your local swampy turkey hole lol.