turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best turkey gun benelli m2?

Started by chufagold, January 31, 2019, 09:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chufagold

Thinking about selling my 870 turkey/predator for a benelli m2 with the 21 inch barrel. If you have shot one before what's your thoughts and is there a better turkey gun out there? Please only comment if u have shot this particular gun

trad bow

Turkey guns are overrated. Learn to call, sit still and have some patience.

LaLongbeard

Nothing better than a 870 Wingmaster imo
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

dirt road ninja

It's been my experience with turkeyguns that just because you paid more, doesn't make it better. Whatever you choose, just make sure you won't care about scratches. If your looking for numbers, the ammo makes the gun-not the other way around.

Sir-diealot

The one in your hand at the right moment.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Gobspur

Hard to define best or better turkey gun.  Both those kill birds dead, if you know your gun. Depends on what you like and wanna spend money on.  I like my 870s.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Bowguy

Quote from: LaLongbeard on January 31, 2019, 09:06:11 PM
I don't think the deer/predator 870 is considered a wing master is it? The wingmasters are great guns. I've got a couple. Once they went to the express garbage is when I stopped w Remington.

Anyway to the op. The gun you have is fine. I've done this since the 80s w mostly pumps. The 11-87 for one year, Sp-10 for two, those being the only semis. I started w an 870 and still have it.
None had extreme short barrels. It's not necessary. I'll bet not one extra bird is killed w the new gun. That's not saying not to get another gun though. There's a few things in life I like and guns is one.
I've got an M1 and it's great. I like it better than the M2s. To me though turkey guns are pumps. Not saying my way has to be yours

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Bowguy on January 31, 2019, 09:50:52 PM
Quote from: LaLongbeard on January 31, 2019, 09:06:11 PM
I don't think the deer/predator 870 is considered a wing master is it? 

The thread topic said "best turkey gun" I do not  and would not  own either of those mentioned.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

husker

I love my Mossberg 835 and Remington 870. Both are good guns but the Mossy is a stone cold killer.

Gobble!

Best would any reliable brand .410 shooting TSS #10. 40 yard gun all day, cheap, light, tough to beat that.

I however enjoy the abuse of a 870 12g shooting 2.5oz of TSS #9.

notsure

I've hunted with a Remington 870 Express, two Berettas (686 & Extrema), and a Mossberg 935. All four killed turkeys, however, the 870 never failed to jam the thumb of my shooting hand into my cheek, while the Mossberg had a bad habit of ejecting its charging handle. This season, I'm taking out a used Benelli SBEII I picked up during the Summer. I'm sure it will kill turkeys just as dead as the other four. And if I'm particularly lucky, it will punch back a bit less than the Remington!

Gooserbat

If I were in the market for an Auto I'd probably opt for a Benelli M2 24" or a Beretta of some sort.  That said I'm a lover of the pump and so I'll just save the coin and stick to the 870. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Big Jeremy

As far as autoloaders go, I used, and enjoyed a Browning Maxus for a few seasons. Threw great patterns (though off of POA...a Burris FF3 cured that, though), and it killed several birds. I, like some, prefer a pump gun, though. Currently shooting an 870 SM, 23" barrel, sumtoy choke. It's pretty mean, and I plan to keep it around a while.

There's not a best gun. Just get the one you like the best and can afford. That'll be the best one for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boykin Hollow

I have one of the old Benelli SBE 1's.  Bought it in 1980. Sure that cost a lot but all good shotguns do now.  It has been my go to gun for duck and goose hunting as well as for turkey hunting. As I have gotten older I have graduated to a benelli M1 20 gauge for turkey hunting.

Jeremy66

The best turkey gun is the one you shoot well and have confidence in.

I have an SBE2 (same as M2 except 3 1/2" chamber) that I use for waterfowl.  Before that I used a Beretta A300 and 870.  The Benelli is a great gun but I think it is awful expensive to use as a turkey gun and only shoot a few shots a year.  With waterfowl I generally shoot around 400-500 rounds a year so to me the price is worth it.

This last year I have been converting my 870 into a dedicated turkey gun......camo job, 23" barrel, trigger work, sight......I don't plan on using any else unless I need a backup.