Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How snakeproof are rubber/neoprene boots?

Started by SD_smith, January 28, 2019, 11:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD_smith

Just a thought I had about this. Growing up down in South Florida chasing Osceolas all over and around. We seen cottonmouths from time to time, my best advice is to not look for them and then you won't see them. None of us ever wore rubber boots or 18 inch boots of any sort because half the places we hunted was knee to waist deep water part ways. One year it was almost titty deep. I've vowed to never hunt water like that again and so I bought me a nice pair of the Lacrosse 18" rubber/neoprene boots last season for some of the creeks I hunt along in SD. Looking at theses I'd imagine they are decently snakeproof especially from a quick strike of a cottonmouth, but maybe not? I don't care either way just curious if anybody has had to test it out!

What say you?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

Never had to test it out, because I've worn snakeboots for years. I've also been struck in the calf on two occasions while wearing snake boots. I can tell you that I wouldn't want to bet my life, or the rest of my turkey season on it.  ;) :z-twocents:

SD_smith

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on January 28, 2019, 11:54:06 AM
Never had to test it out, because I've worn snakeboots for years. I've also been struck in the calf on two occasions while wearing snake boots. I can tell you that I wouldn't want to bet my life, or the rest of my turkey season on it.  ;) :z-twocents:

Oh I'm not knocking your choice! But what exactly are your snake boots made of? I've never sat down and looked at what they consist of. Like this Lacrosse neoprene they use is pretty thick and hard material. Couple that with half the boot is a really thick rubber. Thorns and other prickly things don't go through. Do you think it could stop one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

X2 ... snakeboots ..... Why buy 2 boxes of Tss and not a pair of snakeboots ... lol.... :turkey:

tomstopper

Not positive but I always thought the hard material was some form of Kevlar. At least that is what I remember hearing

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

dirt road ninja

I doubt one could penetrate the thick rubber on the foot part of the boot, a small one might not get thru the neoprene portion. A larger, highly motivated snake might get ya. Thankfully  I've never had mine tested, only started wearing snakeboots a few years ago.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: SD_smith on January 28, 2019, 12:35:09 PM
Oh I'm not knocking your choice! But what exactly are your snake boots made of? I've never sat down and looked at what they consist of. Like this Lacrosse neoprene they use is pretty thick and hard material. Couple that with half the boot is a really thick rubber. Thorns and other prickly things don't go through. Do you think it could stop one?
Not sure exactly what mine are made of. I use the Bass Pro (Redhead) brand that are knock offs of the Rocky snake boots. They are super light weight, have a cordura looking material around them, are camo and waterproof........initially. ;)  All snake boots I've tried have leaked at one point or another. I've tried from $300 boots down to $80 boots. These have included Danners, Chippewas, Rocky, Bass Pro, etc. I settled on the Bass Pro boots because they are affordable, maintained their waterproofing the longest, and once they start leaking, they don't break the bank when you go to replace them.
As for your rubber boots and their ability to stop a set of fangs, I have no clue. I just know that I wouldn't bet my life or health on them. Best of luck on whatever you decide.

bbcoach

Most snake boots are made of 1000 denier nylon tightly woven to prevent those hypodermic needles from getting to your lower extremities.  Rubber boots are just that rubber or neoprene that are built with one thing in mind, to keep your feet dry.  The manufactures of most rubber boots don't even mention snake in their advertising, so don't expect much protection if any.  Some rubber boots are form fit to the ankle and leg so your rolling the dice with rubber in snake country.  I'm with Rutnstrut wear snake boots or even snake chaps or stay on the porch.  Rattle snakes, copperheads and cottonmouths aren't anything to scoff at and they can end your hunting season very quick.

tomstopper

Quote from: bbcoach on January 28, 2019, 06:10:14 PM
Most snake boots are made of 1000 denier nylon tightly woven to prevent those hypodermic needles from getting to your lower extremities.  Rubber boots are just that rubber or neoprene that are built with one thing in mind, to keep your feet dry.  The manufactures of most rubber boots don't even mention snake in their advertising, so don't expect much protection if any.  Some rubber boots are form fit to the ankle and leg so your rolling the dice with rubber in snake country.  I'm with Rutnstrut wear snake boots or even snake chaps or stay on the porch.  Rattle snakes, copperheads and cottonmouths aren't anything to scoff at and they can end your hunting season very quick.
I stand corrected on the Kevlar. Not sure where I heard it from....lol

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Flathead

Has anybody ever been bittin through any kind of boot that yall know of??

Ranger

Not sure what forum it was on but I recall a few years ago someone posted they were bitten wearing green Lacrosse boots by a rattlesnake I believe. Said it went through like a hot knife through butter. His words, not mine. Also think the teatment was somewhere around $90K, mentioned in same thread
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

LaLongbeard

I have a pair of turtle skin snake leggings that cover from ankle to knee and wear leather boots. I know at least a couple people that have been bitten on there leather boots by Water Moccasins, none penetrated. I'm talking regular leather work boot type, not Bull Hide super thick leather.Copper heads fangs are even smaller. Rattle snakes even big ones will not penetrate a good leather boot. Unless your turkey hunting Africa and expect to encounter snakes with 1 1/2 " long fangs your safe with leather. I know people that have been bitten with lacrosse rubber boots, one the water moccasin was small and did not penetrate the rubber. The other did go thru the rubber but up near the calf were there was a gap and he did not get bit. I would not trust a rubber or neoprene boot to be snake proof.
The turtle skins protect past the boot weigh nearly nothing and not hot. The two biggest snake boot complaints Hot, heavy followed closely by they leak.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Upfold99

Quote from: LaLongbeard on January 28, 2019, 08:47:07 PM
I have a pair of turtle skin snake leggings that cover from ankle to knee and wear leather boots. I know at least a couple people that have been bitten on there leather boots by Water Moccasins, none penetrated. I'm talking regular leather work boot type, not Bull Hide super thick leather.Copper heads fangs are even smaller. Rattle snakes even big ones will not penetrate a good leather boot. Unless your turkey hunting Africa and expect to encounter snakes with 1 1/2 " long fangs your safe with leather. I know people that have been bitten with lacrosse rubber boots, one the water moccasin was small and did not penetrate the rubber. The other did go thru the rubber but up near the calf were there was a gap and he did not get bit. I would not trust a rubber or neoprene boot to be snake proof.
The turtle skins protect past the boot weigh nearly nothing and not hot. The two biggest snake boot complaints Hot, heavy followed closely by they leak.
How wet do you get when wearing turtle skins and a waterproof hiking boot and say crossing a creek thats calf high? Do you get water in the top of the hiking boot?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Upfold99 on January 29, 2019, 06:15:17 AM
Quote from: LaLongbeard on January 28, 2019, 08:47:07 PM

How wet do you get when wearing turtle skins and a waterproof hiking boot and say crossing a creek thats calf high? Do you get water in the top of the hiking boot?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I wear 9" leather boots, if you step in a creek 9 1/4" deep your going to get wet feet the turtleskins will keep your pants from getting wet if walking thru wet grass but when submerged the water goes up the inside. If I'm hunting a swamp I wear rubber boots with the turtleskins over the rubber boots. If I'm wearing the leather boots and have to cross a creek there's plenty of time to find a way to cross without getting wet, unless there's a hot gobbler and the creek is between us, in that case I'm getting wet feet and don't mind.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?