OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need advice on new boots!

Started by Fl strutter, January 20, 2019, 09:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fl strutter

Im needing a new pair of boots for this spring. Ive never owned a good pair of hunting boots. I have a cheap pair of rubber boots but my feet freeze in early season. I have a bad problem with my feet sweating if i wear thick socks. Have to walk in water some so would like waterproof and insulated a little. Any suggestions are appreciated i really cant spend a fortune.

GomerPyle

You wanting snake proof too, or just waterproof?
[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"

Gooserbat

I have two pair.  Muck Woody Max and a pair of $79 Cabela's hikers. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Fl strutter

Dont have to be snake proof. Definately waterproof. Its sometime in the 30s here early season and i get cold easy. Looking at lacrosse and muck boots but not sure how much insulation i need. Wanting em to be comfortable in warmer weather also.

Spurs

Not sure of your price point, but Russell Moccasin are lifetimeboots.  Snake, water, and light weight.  Custom made too.
This year is going to suck!!!

Tail Feathers

I find Muck boots to be quite comfortable for walking modest distance, up to a couple of miles per day with stopping and setting up a few times.  With decent wool socks they keep my feet comfortable to 30 degrees (even deer hunting).
It's warmer around here and I really like my Irish Setter lace up Vapor Treks which are uninsulated.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Fl strutter

Which model of mucks do you have and how nuch insulation are they?

Tail Feathers

I have the basic Muck Trailblazers.  They are neoprene and have no other insulation.  Neoprene is fairly warm on its own and good wool socks make them good to freezing temps, even sitting in a deer stand for me.
I've turkey hunted in them up to the low 60's without issue, but with plain cotton socks.  They have a variety of models but I've seen the Trailblazers on sale for $79 several times recently.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

tomstopper

Quote from: Tail Feathers on January 20, 2019, 01:46:44 PM
I have the basic Muck Trailblazers.  They are neoprene and have no other insulation.  Neoprene is fairly warm on its own and good wool socks make them good to freezing temps, even sitting in a deer stand for me.
I've turkey hunted in them up to the low 60's without issue, but with plain cotton socks.  They have a variety of models but I've seen the Trailblazers on sale for $79 several times recently.
These are also what I use and when I used to hunt early spring in NY, I used to use wool socks in the morning and carry a cotton pair sometimes if the weather was going to warm up in the afternoon to change into.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

LaLongbeard

Irish setter Wingshooters. Leather will always be warmer than any rubber boot and they are waterproof. If your going to be wading knee deep water there not the right choice but creeks etc. no problem. A good wool  blend sock for really cold days and regular socks for warm days and you should be fine. I walk a lot sometimes several miles a day and I've found any form of rubber boot to cause sweating and most aren't made for that much walking.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Fl strutter

Im looking at a lot of brands. My feet sweat bad no matter walking or sitting.

LaLongbeard

It's nothing new ,but a trick we used in the Army .....spray your feet with antiperspirant let dry an put your socks on. Dry feet all day. Also used it inside legs etc. to keep from sweating and getting chaffed. You can also use stick deodorant but it can get a little sticky. When you have to walk or run miles and stopping for anything is not an option this was the answer.

Fl strutter

What kinda sparay antiperspirant

LaLongbeard

Any kind will do. I think I used mostly Right guard unscented.Make sure it's an antiperspirant and not just deodorant.

Harty

I live in Wisconsin and I love my Muck Woody Max. Insulated and very comfortable well below freezing