OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2019 Spring plans

Started by LaLongbeard, December 09, 2018, 03:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaLongbeard

The vest  thread got me wondering. How many states and days hunting is everyone trying for this Spring? I know it's a ways off but I hate deer and ducks never interested me.
I don't work during turkey season so I'll hunt everyday except Easter Sunday or  if it's an absolute monsoon rain day. Planning on 3 states plus home state of La. I'm not into the state slam and I'm over the grand slam my only interest is Easterns or the occasional Osceola so I usually stay in the same state till I get my limit or the season runs out so I try for 3-4 states a year some years I make all 4 some years I get hung up with a particular Gobbler and don't make all 4 sometimes I end up looking for another state when I'm out of tags.
I usually look for more scenic areas to hunt than maybe the most populated hunting areas. I would prefer to battle a single mountain gobbler for a week than run thru three 2year olds in a place with a higher concentration of birds, which also makes for less crowded hunting areas. I'm hoping for 40-50 mornings this spring with gobbling on everyone.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

eggshell

I'll do Ky. and at home in Ohio. I would like to hunt South Dakota, but I have no plans as of yet. My daughter lives in  central S.D.  so I have free lodging.

HookedonHooks

For sure gonna be hunting MO/KS/NE. Making arrangements to hunt FL/AL for the early season, but definitely one of the two. Also looking to add IA and an OK Rio to that list if possible, but gonna easily have 50+ days myself just between 4 or 5 states.

Already itching for it to start big time, even though I've kept myself plenty busy chasing ducks and geese.

buzzardroost

FL for sure and TN at home. Looking into either IL or IA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

Two states for me. MD and Wv. AL I hunt are mountain birds and I am thankful for it. I seem to be taking kids as much as I hunt for myself anymore so that keeps me occupied. Maybe one day I will get to hunt some mountain birds in other states but I have no desire to travel for a Rio or Merriams.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Sir-diealot

Quote from: HookedonHooks on December 09, 2018, 04:06:50 PM
For sure gonna be hunting MO/KS/NE. Making arrangements to hunt FL/AL for the early season, but definitely one of the two. Also looking to add IA and an OK Rio to that list if possible, but gonna easily have 50+ days myself just between 4 or 5 states.

Already itching for it to start big time, even though I've kept myself plenty busy chasing ducks and geese.
Best of luck in all area's but especially OK will be there Spring of 2020 or 2021 for family and Rio's.

To OP depending on the shoulder I might actually get to hunt 2 states this year, the Mennonite that I drive for has a son that wants to hunt PA and they have offered to pay for my lodging and my license to drive them in their vehicle if we do go. That would be Eastern's of course.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

MS TurkeyHunter

I try to hunt a couple new states each year. Wisconsin, Georgia, Tennessee, and Illinois are the ones I'm focusing for now. Unfortunately my occupation will keep me from hunting all of them so I need to make a choice before to long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

I will only be in one state but between Learn to Hunt programs, youth Season, a Charity Hunt I volunteered for, my friends and a few of my own tags I'll have in around 20 hunts this spring my 29th year and counting! :)

MK M GOBL

Tail Feathers

TX, FL and I may try LA this spring as I can get to some public land there in 1.5 hours.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

bobk

Season #51 coming up. Between taking kids, friends  and new hunters. I usually have about 20- 25 hunts in the mountains of PA, WV and Md. each season. Always hunt the mountains.

Gooserbat

Looks like I'll hit MO, and I would like to get FL under my belt.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

RutnNStrutn

Probably going to be a limited season for me.  :(
With an impending total shoulder replacement surgery needed, along with drawing nothing in my home state of Florida....ONCE AGAIN >:(, I'll likely just be hunting at my lease in SC, possibly Bama, Georgia and Kansas too.
My main goal is to get at least one turkey, then get the surgery done, and be rehabbed by the fall deer season and be ready for next duck season and spring turkey season.

Muzzy61

Here at home (Florida), Georgia and hopefully a trip to KY.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Vaturkeyhntr

Gonna be home here in VA then head to New Mexico the last weekend of April, first week of May to chase some mountain Merriams

Tail Feathers

Dang Jim, I hate to hear that about your shoulder.  That don't sound fun at all! :'(
Love to hunt the King of Spring!