turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The Old Pro Turkey hunter

Started by 3bailey3, October 07, 2018, 07:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaLongbeard

I have been collecting old Turkey books for some time I have an original copy of " The Old Pro " one of my favorites. I just recently started collecting old Turkey paintings NWTF prints etc. I came across this one while working out of state couple weeks ago. I liked the painting and thought it looked familiar, when I read this thread it reminded me I haven't read this book in several years so I got it out to read and there hanging by the book shelf is the same painting as on the dust jacket. It may have been awhile before I noticed if I'd not seen this thread lol.
Norman C Miller was the painter and he also did the drawings in the book.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Dukejb

Very cool! Like the rest of you I really enjoyed Old Pro.

Sir-diealot

Nice painting, hope to get the book soon, no later than January for sure, think I will buy it for myself as a birthday present then. It will be one of the reprints though.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Uncle Tom

Ordered copy yesterday....Amazon $15.95.

quavers59

I know I saw this book for 19.99 when I uploaded- Midwestturkeycall.com and hit books. I have the Original as well.

LaLongbeard

Just finished re reading the Old pro and wonder how many of today's turkey hunters hunt as described in the book. I guess you could say I hunt the "old school way" but it's more like that is the way I hunted from the beginning and haven't changed to any of the new methods. There never was any agriculture to speak of were I learned to hunt very few openings mostly pine uplands or river swamps. A blind would be a useless thing to carry and decoys never interested me. How many have read the book and worked out there score in the back of the book? I wonder how many can consistently kill a gobbler by following the methods the Old Pros used in the book.

Big Guy

I think I'm the only person who didn't like this book.  He lost me at the whole crawling naked backwards method.  Didn't even finish it.

soky

Quote from: Big Guy on December 06, 2018, 12:37:47 AM
I think I'm the only person who didn't like this book.  He lost me at the whole crawling naked backwards method.  Didn't even finish it.

Don't knock it until you try it.

Sir-diealot

I have yet to read it myself, but will eventually. What's wrong with that method so long as there are no pricker bushes?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

LaLongbeard

Maybe you didn't comprehend the story it was told to Gene and another hunter by a 90 something year old turkey hunter that was known for being a master story teller as well as hunter. The author made it clear that he never knew for sure if the old man was being serious or messing with them. He also made it clear he never tried the technique. Tom Kelley wrote a story he titled "Trecherous old men" about how the older turkey hunters gave  freely of false information to throw off the competition. This was common in the old days. I have used it myself ,although I don't think I qualify yet for being an old man.I have several times gave  those that asked false locations of gobblers, places I've never been or care to go.There was a lot of good information about the old days of turkey hunting in the book. But the book is not for everyone if you have a short attention span or low IQ the book would probably not be right for you , they do sell picture only books that I hear people that hunt from pop up blinds really enjoy while staring at the decoys.

Big Guy

Quote from: Phillipshunt on December 06, 2018, 11:16:45 AM
But the book is not for everyone if you have a short attention span or low IQ the book would probably not be right for you , they do sell picture only books that I hear people that hunt from pop up blinds really enjoy while staring at the decoys.
Wow.  Jump to conclusions much?  Seems you have a pretty good read on me just from my opinion on a book.  And yes I did comprehend the story, I just didn't find it to be an amusing anecdote or helpful in any way to kill turkeys.  Hate to break it to you but people will have differing opinions on things like literature.  Doesn't mean either one of us is right or wrong, just that we have different tastes.  Good luck hunting like an old pro.

LaLongbeard

Never directed the comment toward you.....wonder why you assumed it was? Like the old saying goes "if the shoe fits wear it if not take it off "lol. And I do not need or believe in luck I kill my gobblers with skill and experience.

davisd9

Quote from: Phillipshunt on December 06, 2018, 11:16:45 AM
Maybe you didn't comprehend the story it was told to Gene and another hunter by a 90 something year old turkey hunter that was known for being a master story teller as well as hunter. The author made it clear that he never knew for sure if the old man was being serious or messing with them. He also made it clear he never tried the technique. Tom Kelley wrote a story he titled "Trecherous old men" about how the older turkey hunters gave  freely of false information to throw off the competition. This was common in the old days. I have used it myself ,although I don't think I qualify yet for being an old man.I have several times gave  those that asked false locations of gobblers, places I've never been or care to go.There was a lot of good information about the old days of turkey hunting in the book. But the book is not for everyone if you have a short attention span or low IQ the book would probably not be right for you , they do sell picture only books that I hear people that hunt from pop up blinds really enjoy while staring at the decoys.

You quoted him and then used the term you, seems pretty direct to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

LaLongbeard

Actually it was meant directly to you davisd9 really glad you read it....I love when a plan comes together lol.

davisd9

Quote from: Phillipshunt on December 06, 2018, 01:31:05 PM
Actually it was meant directly to you davisd9 really glad you read it....I love when a plan comes together lol.

Well glad we got it straight, next time just make sure to put my name on it so that there is no confusion.  I have no problem with being direct.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer